Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which new skis should I get?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm starting to think the time has come to get some new skis. I currently use Atomic Metron Beta Puls M2 171cm (122-74-109 tip-mid-tail width) skis that I bought for my 4th week of skiing around 2005. As this old post says - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1081224&highlight=tell+atomic+metrons#1081224 - they're chuffing heavy and are by now pretty obsolete.

I'm 6ft 1", 14st/90kg and in my mid-forties. Although I was a late-ish starter at 33, I've been fortunate enough to do 15 weeks and have done a couple of trips each year for the last few. I should probably be a better standard than I am but on skimottaret's list at http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html I'm a level 8, probably slipping to 7 by the end of the day. I can quite capably get some carving going on blues & reds and I'd like to look at skis that will let me play a bit more in softer stuff off the side of the piste and cope with slush a bit better. I'm no great speed demon and I'd rather take my time and enjoy a run than thrash & scrape my way down something.

What I'd probably be looking for is something easy going that'll work nicely even when I'm a bit lazy, but has the capability to let me crack on as well if I feel like it. I'm looking probably for something around 60-70% on-piste, 30-40% off which I guess means I'm looking at something that would be described either as a Freeride or All-mountain ski. I know I can have any binding I want fitted but with "standard" bindings I'd like something that has a 0 degree binding ramp angle as my boot/ski combination was most excellently set up by CEM and Andi last year for 0deg and I'm loath to ruin that balance. I've probably gained a level just by getting my boots sorted and now that they are, my skis are the next target.

I've had a look around and something like a Scott Crusade, Atomic Theory, Dynastar Outland 80 XT or K2 Aftershock appeals. My Atomics were meant to be skied shorter than normal but any successors will probably be around 180cm, unless of course I'm advised otherwise.

Suggestions for something suitable gratefully received...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Volkl kendo? Marketing guy says 50:50 on off piste, I say probably easily good enough on piste...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jd_evans, There's virtually no zero delta angle bindings on the market (despite what a number of the manufacturers state) so buy skis in the flat so you can then have the binding of your choice mounted with an appropriate toe shim to give you the angle you want.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for the kendos, they're awesome. Sport Bittl had some of last years pretty cheap recently, might be worth a look.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 for the K2 Aftershocks.

Or the K2 Rictor (127-80-109)

http://k2skis.com/skis/all-mountain/rictor-1213

I wouldn't go longer than 174 cm in either.

I'm 188cm, 95 kg and ski 170-175cm in length depending on the manufacturer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm looking at the Outland 80 xt as well, but I've heard mixed reviews about them? Any feedback?

I'm similar dimensions to Mike Pow and jd_evans but lower down the ability scale, I'm looking for a decent piste ski but slightly shorter at around 166cm as I'm not a speed demon and want to improve my ability so going for more control on the reds and blacks with a shorter ski (and therefore stiffer ski?).

The other option I was looking at was the volkl RTM 75is, although I also have the option of K2 chargers, which I know are meant for speed, but I've heard are also stable at lower speeds which should suit intermediaries too?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sack the Juggler, If the RTMs are more or less the AC range, they should be rather nice and suit you.

It's very difficult to go wrong with Volkl IMO.

YMMV
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At 60/40 or 70/30 you probably want to try the Legend Sultan 85. Good allrounder, but the bindings might need changing. I am in a similar position to you and they are my full time ski. I wouldn't go much wider than 85 for that amount of time on the piste.

For 70/30-80/20 I'd start looking at the Rictor as Mike suggests too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I changed to Outland 80 XTs on day 3 of my trip last winter.What a difference it made to my skiing. Suffice to say I was so impressed that I now own a pair of my own. I am 5' 11" and 14st .As you may be aware they are available on special offer at the moment here..

http://www.edgeandwax.co.uk/151397/products/dynastar_outland_80_xt_2012_skis_and_bindings.aspx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just order some K2 Chargers Confused snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I am 6 foot 1 inch and 13 stone and 9 lbs, 47 years old ( fit ) run 15 miles a week.

I bought Dynastar Outland 80's, in 178cm Got them for £249 from Decathlon
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Apologies spyderjon, you'll have to excuse my poor terminology regarding bingings. I eventually found my "prescription" that Andi from alpinemccannix produced last year. He found that the binding height for my current skis is toe: 51mm, heel: 52mm with a preferred heel height difference of flat to +1mm. Obviously, I'd like to get a binding/ski combination that gets as close to that as possible but finding that info about bindings not listed on your site has been close to impossible so far and any guidance offered would again be much appreciated. Could I trust the usual S&R or E-B shops - which are fairly local - to do the shimming or would it be better to use someone like yourself, Scottydog or maybe ask CEM for a recommendation?

At the moment, it's looking like the Dynastar Outland 80 XT 2012s in 172 or 178 cm if I can find them in stock at the right price or maybe stretch to the 2013 version if I can't. As they seem to mostly come with Look bindings, I guess I'd have to have the toes shimmed by 3mm to get the right binding delta.

Still open to suggestions though.

Cheers.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Job done, skis bought. With a lot of Googling and with much help and patience from ScottyDog at Edge&Wax I decided on the Dynastar Outland 80 XT 2013s in 178cm.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

Can't wait for the snow now!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I should point out I bought a pair of K2 chargers for me and a pair of K2 superburnin for the missus - and Adam from edge & wax was brilliant, very patient and very helpful. Skis have arrived and we are going to use them as our alps skis for when we holiday with Inghams directly from the IOM.

Separately I've been talking to skisecondhand for a cheap pair of skis that I can leave in Sweden for when we go there (we take two planes and it would cost us £160 a pop for carting the K2s back and forth), and I've decided on a pair of salomon x wing tornados - they assure me they are in good condition, so I'm going to go with them and see what they look like - I'll report back on the skisecondhand thread
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Sack the Juggler, I did look at the K2s as well but from what I read about the Outlands they seemed a better "fit" to what I was looking for.

It sounds like you had the same great service from E&W that I did. Cheers ScottyDog & co.

T'other-half is getting afraid of getting left behind so she's looking at new skis now as well! K2 Superfrees look promising.....
snow report
jd_evans wrote:
Hi Sack the Juggler, I did look at the K2s as well but from what I read about the Outlands they seemed a better "fit" to what I was looking for.

It sounds like you had the same great service from E&W that I did. Cheers ScottyDog & co.

T'other-half is getting afraid of getting left behind so she's looking at new skis now as well! K2 Superfrees look promising.....
heard some great things about those outlands but I was just looking for an on piste ski at the moment so went with the charges in the hope they will improve my technique.

And yes, amazing service from edge & wax, when I come to replace my K2's it will be through them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy