Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chooo Chooo- Bye Bye Transfer companies? And an Issue with Cham-express' Parking.

Poster: A snowHead
Taken from Chamshare;

Chamonix to Geneva.

work has started on this link, called CEVA (Cornavin - Eaux-Vives - Annemasse) and funds have been allocated. It took many years of talks, negotiations, court cases and then more talks to convince the French authorities of the importance of this rail link, to get to this point, but the process is now firmly under way:

16km of new line, mostly underground, will be built to link the rail networks between Haute-Savoie and Geneva. This work is due to be completed at the end of 2017. From 2018, it should then be possible to catch a train from Chamonix to Geveva / Geneva airport, probably with a couple of changes. The first one will always be at St Gervais / Le Fayet (our rack-and-pinion mountain railway is narrower than the rest of the French rail network) and probably at Cornavin, Geneva's main train station.

To get to Geveva airport by rail today requires real commitment: train to Geneve-Eaux-Vives, then public transport through Geneva to Cornavin, then another train between Cornavin and the airport. It can be done, but it involves many changes, connections and some knowledge of the Geneva public transport system.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-08-12 14:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can go by train to Chamonix from Eaux-Vives? Shocked How did I not know this?!

That will be a great link through from the airport, though still a long way off unfortunately. And they've been talking about linking Cornavin to Eaux-Vvies for quite a few years now without any actual progress Sad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bit more info about it here:
http://www.ceva.ch/geneve/
and here:
http://www.bg-21.com/en/content/work-cornavin-eaux-vives-annemasse-ceva-rail-link-begins

Apparently work HAS started, but I don't see mention of Chamonix in there
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good stuff.

What about the one from Bourg St Maurice to La Daille............NIML...........now that'd be a winner!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

From 2018, it should then be possible to catch a train from Chamonix to Geveva / Geneva airport, probably with a couple of changes.

"a couple of changes" means hello transfer company for me.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bode Swiller, +1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, I was 'persuaded' to enjoy the delights of the Swiss railways on a trip to Wengen from Geneva. I can't say I would repeat the experience. It was not fun carting skis and bags on and off three trains. We only caught one connection by the skin of our teeth, throwing the bags on almost as it was departing the station, because the first train was (say it quietly) late.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

You can go by train to Chamonix from Eaux-Vives?

Yep, it used to be direct, I think now it requires a change. It's a bit of a pain coming from the airport as CH2O said. I did it in the summer with just a rucksac, that was OK but doing it with luggage and skis would be more of a pain, and given that ChamVan et al are so cheap it's really not worth the hassle IMHO.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Yep, it used to be direct, I think now it requires a change. It's a bit of a pain coming from the airport as CH2O said. I did it in the summer with just a rucksac, that was OK but doing it with luggage and skis would be more of a pain, and given that ChamVan et al are so cheap it's really not worth the hassle IMHO.

Thanks - I was hoping it’d be a quicker and cheaper way to do a day trip, but doesn’t look like it. There’s a ski bus that does day trips for 90CHF return including lift pass from Geneva which still seems like a better option (just over an hour too). Though every other resort they do day trips to is 70CHF, so Chamonix never appeals that much Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have no real opinion, other than I enjoy train travel and that perhaps it will work some ecological magic, however, with the Transfer busienss being so cut throat and competitive, i would expect there to be some fall out.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The CEVA project will help but won't do anything to alleviate the sometimes outrageously long change times at St Gervais.

However, an accord was signed last year (maybe even year before) to upgrade the funicular at least as far as Chamonix giving a hoped for 45minute direct journey from Chamonix station to Geneva Cornavin.

Which would be awesome. Especially if that service stops at the CEVA renovated gare de Chene-Bourg, which is at the end of my street. Madeye-Smiley

However, having heard the Mayor interviewed about it, I haven't since found supporting links...

Also exciting in rail related things are plans for a london-geneva fast train taking a mere 4 or so hours. That will be rather funky too.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi all,

I wouldn't get too over-excited. Whilst this is a long needed upgrade to the rail links, it has featured on our own SWOT analysis a number of times over the last few years.

The simple fact of the matter is there will still need to be two changes of trains, with the requisite wait, and the railway track up from Le fayet into the Chamonix Valley will always only be single track. This will restrict the frequency of train service. To be honest, practically speaking we would still expect train journey times to be 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 hours minimum. Then, ofcourse road/taxi transport is still required from the station to your accommodation. All in all, you'd be looking at a more expensive total journey price then existing transfers.

As for the proposed Eurostar to Geneva from London, It appears that they are routing the change of trains at Lille! So certainly won't be 4 hours from London to Geneva!

** Bubbles Burst **

Cheers.

Andrew

www.chamexpress.com
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CH2O wrote:
I have no real opinion, other than I enjoy train travel and that perhaps it will work some ecological magic, however, with the Transfer busienss being so cut throat and competitive, i would expect there to be some fall out.

There is already some fall out in the current market conditions before any train link: Alp-Line went bust in July (see other thread) and ChamVan are in 'administration/redressement' (since Dec 2011) http://www.societe.com/societe/coates-wayne-488207325.html
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamexpress, Ok maybe not 4 but 5 hours would be nice

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/eurostar/8047721/Eurostar-to-offer-direct-services-to-Amsterdam-and-Geneva.html

My current journey - 30 mins to airport, 2hrs in advance, 1hr40 flight (lgw), 20 mins luggage, 10 mins shuttle, indetermined wait for train, 30 mins min train....that's 5 hours 10 minimum. And I prefer to travel by train...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
By the way, the CEVA project has been a marvel of Franco-Swiss cooperation, given that the green light was originally given in 1850 or thereabouts...

Anyway, work has started in earnest with Eaux-vives demolished and the tracks from Chene-Bourg onwards ripped out and awaiting submersion. Much of the line will be underground. It will at least make it easier for me to party in Carouge. Twisted Evil
latest report
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-train. We spent a considerable amount of time a couple of years ago in discussion with EuroStar and SNCF about chartering a eurostar from London right into Le Fayet! every weekend (a la snow-train) However, SNCF eventually scuppered the idea. They don't like competition with their own rail services.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-08-12 14:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Chamexpress, Wpuld you have parked the train on the pavements and generally in areas that cause pedestrian problems?
snow conditions
CH20 if you want to be a Troll then so be it. If you have a genuine concern then come visit our office.
snow report
I have no wish to visit or speak to you regarding the dangerous parking of your vehicles around perdestrian areas in Chamonix, I'm sure it has nothing to do with you personally, but perhaps your drivers. The large vehicle often parked on the Rue Helbronner obstructs passage and forces my other half to blindly step out into on coming traffic with her pushchair. The same van I see randomly parked in a similar manner all around Chamonix. I feel a tw@t for mentioning it, however since we have become parents these things just add to what is often enough an epic effort just to do the most simple things. I've seen tickets on the van many times so am sure you are aware and just don't care, why would I seek an audience with you given these points. Is this part of your flagrent "hate for the French" you sem to have and have voiced in the past in a similar manner to that in which I am here. Don't throw stones Sir, your house is waffer thin glass.
ski holidays
@ CH20 then you are simply Trolling. Exaggeration does you no favours either. As this is the 2nd thread on Snowheads that you have 'hijacked' concerning the same matter and it is never wise to make veiled threats on a public forum as they may return to haunt you.

I do not think it is unreasonable of me to ask you to contact our office if you have a genuine concern, or at the least furnish us with the Registration Mark of the vehicle that you have an issue with.
snow conditions
Chamexpress, Cherie, I've amended to the thread title so as to avoid the "Trolling" badge. I'm not aware of making any threats towards you or your company, simply not my style. My refering to your house being waffer thin glass is a bastardisation of the saying "People in Glass Houses shouldn't throw stones." Given your stance in the valley of being it's "Least Popular Person." I thought it appropriate to chuck that in for good measure

Now, here in Public, I say to you, please try and have something done about your huge Minibus, most often parked on the pavement outside Nexity, blocking all pedestrians on one of the busiest and worst routed roads in Chamonix, you should be able to work out which that is.

And please i'm not exaggerating, I actually found myself taking fcuking photos of the said truck, got to around 5 and then took myself to oneside and gave myself a shake.

I have no intention of meeting you, or any of your staff to discuss this matter, we have met many times, exchanged mails and so fourth, your position and attitude still remains the same.

Good day to you Sir.
snow report
Quote:

it is never wise to make veiled threats on a public forum as they may return to haunt you.

If that's not a veiled threat, I don't know what is, I accept it in the faith in which it had been intended. Cool
ski holidays
It would appear that smalltown/smallmindedness is a live and well in snowHead ville! Nothing like the vendettas of the Italian alps, but this Cham thing is looking like it might be fun!
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, Agreed, sorry to drag this place down.

Sorry Andrew Cham Expess person of the people. xx
ski holidays
NooooCH2O, carry on, tis the slow season! If I did not have this excitement I would only have the refuge of the Olympic ladies beach volleyball!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Ok, hehe, well it would appear the link to the Cham Van company being in administration is bogus. The link is current but an admin mistake by the URRSAF, whom made a mistake on the the Address, confusing it with another busienss next door that had gone under, "The Chamonix Freeride Center." Mr Coates had plenty to say on the matter, however just went as far as say Cham Van have no finanical problems and are running as usual, including a higher standard fleet of vehicles for those wishing to arrive in "Limo" style to cham, not just hearded into a 16 seater English registered vehicle, that could even be illeagal, who knows, I don't. My words, not that of Cham Vans.

Anyone know if running a fleet of English Registered 16 seater vehicles is a leagal business model in France?
snow report
Sorry, I beg to differ the link is not bogus:

http://www.societe.com/societe/chamonix-freeride-centre-527474654.html is the Chamonix Freeride Centre which is in liquidation.

Different SIRET (company registration number) Different Registered Address. Different owners. Different dates of decisions made.

For those that don't know; URSSAF is the organisation in France that you send your 'Contributions' (National Insurance payment equivilent) to, they are nothing to do with a Liquidateur.

French Government Liquidateurs don't put the wrong business into 'Liquidation' or 'administration' or 'redressement/plan de continuation' as it's a long process over many months usually involving significant correspondence between the oompanies Accountants and the Liquidateur.

However, for the sake of impartiality, as Chamvan use the same French Accountants as ourselves, I'll pop in tomorrow and check with them and report back to the readers here.

I can also confirm that in May 2012 we had our 5 yearly inspection over 2 days by the French Licencing authorities, who inspect licence authorisations, paperwork, ALL vehicles, tachographs, drivers hours, payroll etc. and passed with 100% and were praised for our standard of operation by the inspectors.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 5-08-12 9:56; edited 7 times in total
latest report
DEUCE. I'm with Roy Hockley on this, keep this going boys! We have similar problems with the our local butchers van - but don't like to complain as they do lovely stuffed chicken breasts.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamexpress, Still a shame that your van parked again, for a good part of the day in the said place, was that audited and praised too?
Mr Coates is not in administration and is clear of these problems.
Chamvan is a going concern, French registered and respects the law, as your trucks don't seem to, as viewed again yesterday as a bus load (20) of juniors say 5-7yrs old were forced to walk around your truck and blindly into the road as a result. I assume your company has some reason to be regularly parked in the Nexity/Instead vicinity?
I seriously do hope who ever your accountants are they do not discuss your competitions state of busienss with you.
I take it you have a good relationship with Mr Coates, perhaps the best thing would be to phone and speak to him regarding the state of his business as suggested I do regarding your "disrespect" of the parking laws, and general dangerous practice regarding the stationing of your fleet.
latest report
Chamexpress, Best thing I guess for me to do, is take my photos like some sad tw@t and go up to the Police Municipal office tomorrow and make my complaint direct to them and inform them you have been aware of this problem but like in all cases, you really couldn't give a fcuk.
latest report
Who blindfolds a group of 5-7 yr olds and forces them into the streets? Sounds like a dangerous school game to me! Dont know if it will catch on in the Irish school system but if it works fine in Chamonix it is only a matter of time before "Europe" will make it a directive!

C'mon RUGBY PETER, help me out! Let us get this to a 40 pager at least!
snow report
As it's the silly season (aka interseason) I'll help Roy Hockley, By asking a question;

Does rue de helbronner have any parking restrictions on it about where you can or cannot park?
snow report
marcellus, Yes, which I believe Andrew is aware as the Mini Bus often has a parking ticket on it. Oddly there is parking, just further up the road, and just before where it parks, I never struggle to find parking at any of the 4 parking areas, or on street legitimate parking even now in August. The truck was parked there for alot of the day with it's Hazards on as the driver is clearly aware it's illegal.
ski holidays
ADVANTAGE CH2O, Chamexpress running out of steam, looks like a silver.
snow report
RUGBY PETER wrote:
ADVANTAGE CH2O, Chamexpress running out of steam, looks like a silver.

^ CH20 wins for what ? The 'being a pedantic bickering bell-end on a web forum' olympics ?
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, Laughing
snow report
I still have chamexpress as the good guys. They deliver the goods.
snow conditions
CH2O wrote:
marcellus...I never struggle to find parking at any of the 4 parking areas, or on street legitimate parking even now in August.

That'll be because Chamexpress has kindly left it free for you... (chortles while getting more popcorn)
ski holidays
mmm popcorn.... salted i think (can't stand the sweet stuff) Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Looks like it will not reach a 50 pager! Cmon, you can do it if you really want to!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy