Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warth - Lech link open for 2012/13 season?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know any details about the proposed link from Warth to Lech? I think I remember reading that is was due to open this season (and I know the new Weibermahd lift went in to Lech last season which was part of the connection). Does anyone know if it is really opening this season?

If so I'm thinking about a long weekend trip to Warth, so any hotel / B&B or self catering tips appreciate (not fussy, but looking at the cheaper end of the scale).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sah, It is a bit quiet now so probably not this year.
Thinking of DIY trip to Damuls / Warth myself so it will be nice to have the link for this or next winter.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sah, According to this the whole project has been delayed for at least one year. Should have been finished for the 2012 season, but there are missing signatures wrt one piece of land over which the lift is going to pass. Also it seems to be not quite clear how the proceeds are going to be divided up between the three involved ski areas...
I guess this could take quite a bit of time!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the info!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Smacks of the usual interconnection stories where it is massively in one commune's interests to proceed and marginally interesting to the other. I tend not to believe them until they are actually stringing up the lifts.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, true. In this case I think they were getting to that point though. The new Weibermahd chair/gondola combo was part of the new connection and that is already running.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah, Aah thought that looked a bit overengineered for a piste to nowhere. Makes sense.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It all seems to have gone quiet... the Alpe Rauz to Albona link, StA to Kappl, and of course Warth. Probably no great surprise given the economic conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last time I was in Lech (2008) I remember seeing a ski lift off in the distance when skiing around Oberlech. I take it this was Warth?

Has anyone hiked from the bottom of Weibermahd accross? I take it those black lines are Warths lifts. I dont remember them being that close though.

snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I've walked over there and yes they are the Warth lifts. The distance is a little fore shortened in that image.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quite a reasonable hike in winter, ie you would want to be fit!

There are a number of off-piste options for getting Warth from Lech. They are described in Andy Thurner's excellent book. NB: Th Arlberg lift pass is not valid in Warth, but presumably that will change when/if Warth is linked to Lech.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes i thought the trail map was not representing the true distance!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Going to have a drive up around Warth in 3 weeks so will do a post at that time regards any works underway etc.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Folks everything (new projects) is on hold in the Arlberg for at least 1 year. Only essential work will be done.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gosh ... Warth + Damüls! I haven't heard anyone from Britain ever mention a Ski Station in the Bregenzenerwald before ...
It brings back memories of leather boots & animal skins strapped to the bases of the skis when we used
to go on winter camp with the Deutsches Jungvolk.

Its all been a bit prissy since the lifts arrived.

Perhaps I should keep my eyes peeled for these posts!
latest report
Took the family to Damuels two years ago. pretty good little intermediate area. Wrath and Schroken are an eassy car drive away.
snow conditions
Latest news can be read here
http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5044&start=275

and for those who can't read german (prepare for a laugh)
http://translate.google.nl/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D12%26t%3D5044%26start%3D275
ski holidays
On a related note Ischgl has also been forced to delay the planned upgrade to the Pardatschgratbahn this summer as a landowner revoked his consent.

http://youtube.com/v/dvIzeZIGEeU&feature=player_embedded
ski holidays
Upgraded lift for the connection

http://youtube.com/v/8umZSkP80p0&feature=player_embedded

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 9-08-12 8:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bob, Im glad you seemed to enjoy Damuels, I cut me teeth there two years running for three week sessions, youd think Id learn to ski there but I did nt it was 1971 and we only had borrowed skis, we didnt know they were supposed to have all the edges screwed on.
Also we did nt have lift passes, we lived in a hut right off the piste by about a mile through the woods. I have been back a few times since and it is beautifull, not tuff, but it was then. Ive been over to the house as well it was very tough off piste, I dont know how we ever managed.
latest report
Quote:

Warth + Damüls! I haven't heard anyone from Britain ever mention a Ski Station in the Bregenzenerwald before

I confess I've not skied there (yet), but Bregenzenerwald (and Montafon) are both places I really want to visit. I gather Bregenzenerwald claims to have an excellent snow record; given how much more Lech seems to get than St Anton I am willing to believe this:-)
ski holidays
So is this the best place to buy Andy Thurners Off Piste in the Arlberg book? I cant find it anywhere else online

http://www.outdoor-adventures.at/engl.buch.html
snow conditions
Quote:

So is this the best place to buy Andy Thurners Off Piste in the Arlberg book? I cant find it anywhere else online

http://www.outdoor-adventures.at/engl.buch.html

I think it's the only place online. You can get it in St Anton (in Sport Jennewein at least, but I'm sure all the others stock it).
snow conditions
Posted this already in Arlberg snow report thread, but will do again:

Connection Lech - Warth ready for season 2013/2014?

http://www.auenfeldjet.at/#section-0-0

ski holidays
Tom W, maybe, maybe not. It may still get scuppered by the greens concerned about the natural habitat of mountain field mice... I have been following developments in Kleinwalsertal (resort just behind the Widderstein in your map there) whereby the residents have voted to stop connection of two ski areas, Walmendingerhorn and Ifen, via a panorama cable car similar to the one that connects Pass Thurn and Pengelstein in Kitzbühel. Effectively they have voted to let the skiing industry in Kleinwalsertal die a slow death. When you look at the real reasons behind the referendum you begin to understand just what a bunch of narrow minded backstabbing sons of bitches the Vorarlberger really are! Anyway, as I understand it the politics behind the Warth-Lech connection are just as bad, so I won't be holding my breath.
snow conditions
Steilhang, Ye but of course you can still get to Ifen by bus or driving easily.
ski holidays
Peter Ross, The problem is that Kleinwalsertal consists of a bunch of disconnected ski areas, each quite nice in it's own right but without a bus you can't get around them. This is quoted as being one of the major reasons why the number of winter tourists in the valley has been falling for the last ten years. The main reason why the various areas have not been connected is that they have been owned by three different operators who have simply not been able to agree on how to divvy up the proceeds. The Ifen area was sold to the KBB a couple of years ago so now there are only two major operators left. KBB expressly bought the area with the intention of connecting it up to the Walmendingerhorn as a first step towards getting a fully connected area. It seems that the other operator, a certain Hr.Haller, was a bit miffed that Ifen was sold to KBB and not Haller , so he has done everything in his power to sabotage the KBB plans, and has presented other plans to connect up his area to the Ifen... and so it goes on. At any rate KBB wanted to invest €40M into the modernisation of the lifts on Ifen and Walmendingerhorn. Now they are saying that without the connection the modernisation makes no sense and will just leave things to run the way they have been until they fall apart presumably. The one thing they will NOT do is sell Ifen to Haller etc etc etc.
You can probably tell that it's a subject that is dear to my heart!
snow report
It's seems like a common theme all over the Alps for lift operators to have squabbles before areas get connected.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
Anyway, as I understand it the politics behind the Warth-Lech connection are just as bad, so I won't be holding my breath.

Perhaps not for much longer. Based on what I was told by both guides and hoteliers in Warth while visiting in December, the land issues and political issues are resolved, the capital has all been raised and the gondola will be installed in summer 2013. Great for the locals. I hope it does not spoil a real gem of a resort with some astounding off-piste.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 5-06-13 9:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DT68, certainly hope you're right. What's missing now is the connection to St.Anton.
snow report
Steilhang, that depends on your point of view!
latest report
Bump !
Does it look like the link will not be there for 2013-14 but is likely to be up and running for Winter 2014 ?
ski holidays
Work taking place this summer to complete the link up for the upcoming Winter season:

http://www.auenfeldjet.at/
latest report
Sitter, thank you
snow report
JohnHSmith, the locals were pretty confident (during the season which has just finished) that the link will be up and running in time for the start of the 2013/2014 season. All of the finance is apparently in place, so I suspect that the only thing which could get in the way would be unremittingly foul weather interfering with construction (eg: the programme for any helicopter lifts).
snow conditions
DT68, I'm 100% confident it'll be ready, just like every other lift they build in close season in Arlberg/ Vorarlberg, ie Rendlbahn/ Galzigbahn etc.............those guys know how to hit deadlines!!

I'm going to the area in August and will post some photo's, going to Warth do a reccy on Pensions/ b&b hotels for next season, want to get into that new area, any recommendations re accommodation? Will be doing a bike ride in the Warth/ Lechtaler Alps............it don't get much better Alpine scenery than that in summer, can't wait.
ski holidays
Markymark29, I haven't got any personal experience of the pensions or B&Bs as I have only stayed in the Steffisalp and Lechtalerhof. But if you want your morning coffee made for you by an Olympic champion you could always try Haus Hubertus. Hubert is incredibly friendly and is also a son of the valley so there are few as knowledgeable as him about the freeriding opportunities as well as the (other) accommodation options.

I can't wait to see your photos!
latest report
DT68, have sent an enquiry to Hubertus, thanks for that. Have you stayed there? Is it close by lifts, ski in/ out etc?
latest report
Markymark29, I have not stayed there. It's aa little over 5 minutes from the lifts, but you can leave skis and boots in the depot at the Steffisalp.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy