Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Centaure - Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Does anyone know how this is progressing? Does anyone have any images?

Cheers
Lee
snow report
 cran
cran
http://www.mgm-constructeur.com/presentation/le-centaure.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They seem to be taking booking for 2013 which is a good indication that things are on track. In fact I bagged the last 8 bed apartment for the feb half term so demand would seem to be high.

Matt
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We have booked it but have just heard that they will not be completing the spa and pool for 2012-13 after all. Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh damn it. Just noticed ski collection have updated their website to say spa will be open 13/14. Is that where you got info from as other websites are not showing change?

I am not sure if I want to pay that premium price without spa. May look to see if I can get a refund. Really disappointed!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes we had booked with Ski Collection and they wrote to let us know last week. Did you book with another operator?

We are still trying to decide what to do.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just got confirmation from Erna low that spa will not be available. Been offered change to different cgh apartments or 10 percent discount. What was the discount you have been offered and have you decided yet?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They were taking booking this time last year for the new apartments in Avoriaz which never opened (sorry if this sounds negative I'm sure you will be fine).

On a related theme even the picture on the MGM website makes the place look a bit ugly. Is this just trying to keep up with Flaine's esthetic look.

Andy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Normama - We were offered the choice of a discount, changing accommodation or cancellation. In the end we wanted accommodation with a pool and spa so have changed to Les Chalets De Jouvence in Les Carroz (booking switched from Ski Collection to their parent company Peak Retreats who we have booked with several times before- would highly recommend both companies).

We have just been in the alps for a few weeks and spent a morning in Flaine. We could not see the show apartment in Le Centaure as it was Sunday and the only sign of life was the noise of builders within the building somewhere. The building still looks like a construction site on the outside but I have no idea whether it is on schedule or not - maybe you could ask Erna Low to check with the construction company? The location looked very central next to a lift.

Anderoo - The concrete of Flaine looked pretty austere in summer. Must be a lot better in winter with snow covering up the grey roofs! Ski runs look great though - can't wait to try out the ski area.
Do you mean L'Amara in Avoriaz? - we also went to Avoriaz last week and builders were finishing off the roof - you'd need a head for heights for that job Shocked We took the kids to Aquariaz and had a great time there. The highlight was going down the half pipe on an inflatable tyre - you feel as though you are taking off at the top! Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
anderoo, The issue is that the grey concrete was used to blend into the sheer rock faces when up above, so as not to spoil the views... I think Flaine, form an aesthetics point of view is a bit of a marmite resort...

Yes it i ugly, but still I quite like it... and when you are up high, the concrete mass doesn't 'reall'y stand out too much form the whole bowl...

snowymum, Flaine is a great place to ski as you get the high altitude, with GREAT snow conditions, and loads of tree lined runs as well, and the rest of the GM... The only bad run is the connecting run, into Flaine... Tormaline I think it's called... Busy and usually poor snow on it...

A very underrated ski area in my books... Lets hope it stays that way Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
as of 11th October it looks like this.

http://associationflainoise.piwigo.com/picture?/2410/category/27-le_centaure_piscine

I booked with Erna Low in June to stay here but have cancelled today. Not only will the pool/spa not be ready but neither will the underground car park and I couldn't get any guarantees on the laundry room being ready either. Sounded too much like our stay would be on a building site so had no option but to cancel. Have now booked to stay at Terrasses d'Eos/Montsoleil again instead. Pity as Le Centaure looked great. One for next year maybe.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
AlpineAddict wrote:
anderoo, The issue is that the grey concrete was used to blend into the sheer rock faces when up above, so as not to spoil the views... I think Flaine, form an aesthetics point of view is a bit of a marmite resort...

Yes it i ugly, but still I quite like it... and when you are up high, the concrete mass doesn't 'reall'y stand out too much form the whole bowl...

I have to say I like the resort, its funny when skiing down from the main car Flaine Foret/Forum are very hard to see and yet the pretty little coloured cabins in the distance stand out for miles and therefore have a much bigger impact visually on the area as a whole. They look nice up close (I guess) but are in my opinion a bit of a blot on the ladscape from a distance. As stated above a key point in the original design was to build something that detracted as little as possible from the natural views, something i think they achieved.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It does look like a building site which is getting me very nervous for my booking on the 16th feb. my problem is I have already booked a very good private instructors for my wife and the 3 young boys are in ski school at esi. I am wondering how much hassle it will be to change to montsoleil or tresses de vervet? I know montsoleil gets good reviews but we would need to use the bus? Terasses de veret gets very mixed reviews although closer. Are the reviews accurate?

Help please!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
normama, I guess the first thing would be to check with the schools/instructors as to it being ok to change pick up location. I assume that is what you mean? With ref to the accommodation, it would seem from other posters on here, that changing is no problem as the company will have failed to uphold their part of the bargain... Providing you with what they promised.

Once your ski school is sorted I would just plough on and change IMO, and do it now, while other places will still be available. At the end of the day, a few extra hundred pounds is worth spending to avoid the next 3 months of stress and the thought of your holiday being ruined because you 'hoped' it would be ok... You know it won't!!!!!!

Just change accom buddy. You know you'll regret it if you don't... Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So I have a 48 hour option on les chaletscde Jouvence in les carroz. I just need to organise a private instructor for my wife and transfer four young boys from the esi in flaine to the esi in les carroz. Does anyone have any advice on best place for children's ski lessons (4,5,6,7) in les carroz?

Organising a ski holiday is hard work!
snow report
normama, Montsoleil looks "nice" but is a bit of a trek to shops etc. wheras Terrases de Veret is next to the slopes, right next to the beginner area and near shops etc. There is an access lift (for skiing) round the back of Montsoleil but not for beginners - you'd need to take the bus. If a spa is your priority then you'll have to make compromises I presume. I haven't used Montsoleil or T. de Veret so can't comment what they're actually like. But if I had to choose between the skiing at Flaine and Les Carroz, Flaine would win hands down. It's higher and has better slopes imv - well that's why they built it. Not everyone will agree of course.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
normama, ESF in les carroz are much better than ESI IMO and experience

Make sure you are in the main buildings at CdeJ and not the new belle piste annex as to get to the pool etc you will need to walk outside and cross the road

and les carroz is miles better than that concrete bauhaus place.......you have trees when it snows, and off piste without holes Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

but then again Gers is rather nice...................dreaming
latest report
normama, As has already been said... Les Carroz is a beautiful place to ski... If you haven't been there before, please, please don't be in a hurry to zoom off to Flaine... The slopes of Les Carroz are usually very deserted and an absolute pleasure to ride down...

Have a great time. Never stayed in Flaine myself, but love the GM and love Les Carroz... Make sure you visit the Creperie on the corner of the square and have the Morbhian Smile Food fit for a king Smile
snow report
carroz, Interesting what you say about ESI v ESF, is the ski school meeting point for ESF close to CdeJ ? I have to organise 4 small boys are varying levels from snow garden, beginner and flocon so I am looking for an easy drop off option. Do they have alot of Englidh speaking instructors?

Thanks for the tip on the main building, v useful Very Happy
snow report
normama wrote:
carroz, Interesting what you say about ESI v ESF, is the ski school meeting point for ESF close to CdeJ ? I have to organise 4 small boys are varying levels from snow garden, beginner and flocon so I am looking for an easy drop off option. Do they have alot of Englidh speaking instructors?

Thanks for the tip on the main building, v useful Very Happy
Hi there, Jane from Erna Low here. I was reading your posts and I just wanted to confirm that we have indeed been advised by the Centaure's Management company about the delay in opening the spa and underground car park. We are very disappointed and upset that the build has not gone fully to plan so we have contacted all our clients to give them the choice of either the 10% discount offered by the Management or alternative accommodation if clients no longer wish to stay in the Centuare. All our clients have been very understanding and know that it is out of our control and happily we have found suitable alternatives for those who have wished to move. Let me know if any of you have any other questions regarding the Centaure and I will endeavour to find an answer for you.
ski holidays
Jane Bolton, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
latest report
Thank you!
snow report
normama, There is a short new drag lift next to cdej, walk out of ski room its in front of you, get off half way up (about 100 metres) and then ski down to gondola a short distance. The snow garden is next to the drag lift

You can walk it

If you look here

http://www.webcam-ski.com/interfaces/lescarroz/lescarroz_village/images/zooms/piste_figaro.htm

cdej is right centre, low wooden chalet buildings, half way up the slope is the track going left to the gondola, the drag goes up the side of the slope. Building half way up the slope is where the esf nursery area is (to the right of the buses in the gondola car park)

ESF has english speaking instructors, some better some worse. Esf booking office is next to CdeJ car park entrance
latest report
carroz, thankyou for your advice . Trying to book with ESF now so fingers crossed.

Jane- Erna low have been really supportive. I certainly understand it is a situation out of your control and you are trying to do the best for your clients.
latest report
billb wrote:
normama, Montsoleil looks "nice" but is a bit of a trek to shops etc. wheras Terrases de Veret is next to the slopes, right next to the beginner area and near shops etc. There is an access lift (for skiing) round the back of Montsoleil but not for beginners - you'd need to take the bus. If a spa is your priority then you'll have to make compromises I presume. I haven't used Montsoleil or T. de Veret so can't comment what they're actually like. But if I had to choose between the skiing at Flaine and Les Carroz, Flaine would win hands down. It's higher and has better slopes imv - well that's why they built it. Not everyone will agree of course.....

Some ESF lessons start straight outside Montsoleil and ESF run a minibus pick up / drop off service for some children - ie the "Rabbit Club" snow garden"- but obviously check with them. ESI does run smaller classes though.

ESF also have a desk/rep in Montsoleil lobby on changeover day to sort this kind of stuff out.
snow report
mishmash wrote:

Some ESF lessons start straight outside Montsoleil and ESF run a minibus pick up / drop off service for some children - ie the "Rabbit Club" snow garden"- but obviously check with them. ESI does run smaller classes though.

ESF also have a desk/rep in Montsoleil lobby on changeover day to sort this kind of stuff out.

Thanks for that - I didn't know but I guess somewhere like Montsoleil would have to provide such a service. I still wouldn't stay there though - it's too far out of Flaine.
latest report
carroz wrote:

and les carroz is miles better than that concrete bauhaus place.......you have trees when it snows, and off piste without holes Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

but then again Gers is rather nice...................dreaming

I knew you'd say that, so would I if I had a place in les carroz Toofy Grin

Still haven't done Gers myself (after all these years) and don't know when I'll next be in Flaine but it'll keep.....
snow report
Normans,

I own an apartment in Montsoleil it is an excellent place to stay, the one by the terraces d veret is not in the spams league, I have friends who have stayed there & you can hear next door walls are paper thin but it is next to the slope, the bus is fine getting up takes only a few minutes to get up & down from the Montsoleil, not sure when you are going but I have heard feb half term it's full already.

As for ski instructors the director of ESi is a good friend of mine & if you are booking private instructors & can get him theo d'souljue then your kids will have a fantastic time he is exceptional.

Flaine the whole of the GM is excellent to ski have a great time Blush
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
billb wrote:
mishmash wrote:

I still wouldn't stay there though - it's too far out of Flaine.

Thats the whole attraction!! There is also a shop delivery service, butcher/traiteur delivery service and evening complimentary shuttle to wild nightlife that Flaine is so known for...
ski holidays
Since when was a 10 minute walk 'too far'!? Get a grip! If that is going to kill you then they do run at Montsoleil/Terrasses d'Eos a free regular shuttle bus into/from Flaine Forum. Hameau and Refuge du Golf is probably a bit of a trek into Flaine but again as a far as I am aware there's a shuttle bus to/from there also.
snow report
And as Erna Low are looking on I would like to say that they (Polly) were pretty helpful in rearranging my accommodation from Le Centaure to Terrasses d'Eos and price matched the lower price of another operator knocking £114 off their price.
snow report
Anybody stayed at Le Centaure this year? If so, what was it like? How did the building works affect the stay?
snow conditions
janner, the search function works well - see this http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2231496&highlight=centaure#2231496
snow conditions
Feedback from friends staying at Le Centaure this week
- difficult access & little space to unload
- reception not open between 12 & 2 on Saturday
- reception only open at certain times & days during the week
- entrance not sign posted & you need a door code to get in before taking a lift to the first floor reception (nb the lift doesn't work to floor 1 when the reception is closed)
- weird lift system where you have to get a lift up, walk along a corridor and then take another one down to access some apartments
- apartments smaller than expected
- only 1 toilet for an apartment for 6
- no wash hand basin in toilet & you need to walk to the single bathroom to wash your hands
- single bathroom small & cramped
- problem with dishwasher, TV, fridge & coffee maker not working
- no instructions in English for any appliances
- noise from ventilation system annoying at night
- rooms overlooked by other buildings ( like being in a goldfish bowl)
- access to slopes is a sharp climb onto a busy red slope so not good for beginners
- similar problems on way back but downhill access is very narrow
- general feeling that building is only half built
On the positive:
- apartments are decorated well & comfortable
- close to lifts & ski school
- close to Forum shops & bars
- staff were very helpful and dealt with all problems

Hopefully better next season when it should be working 100%
ski holidays
Quote:

- no wash hand basin in toilet & you need to walk to the single bathroom to wash your hands

that's quite standard, it seems - we had to pay extra to get a hand basin added to the toilet in our apartment. It does seem bizarre to people from the UK.
Quote:

apartments smaller than expected

French advertisements will invariably give the exact square metre dimensions - and if they don't, you should always ask for them, so that there are no surprises about size.
ski holidays
Forgot to add about the yelling & chanting at 2:00 in the morning - too close to the UCPA?
But I'm told Pierre/Peter is doing a fantastic job holding the place together
latest report
Has anyone booked Le Centaure for 2013/14? Is the spa definitely going to be finished for the coming season? I was in Flaine in August and Le Centaure was shut and still looks like a building site below the main block - the pool etc looks miles away from being completed. Shocked
snow report
No idea if it will be finished but the downstairs certainly looked like a building site in August - we went past it too and I wondered whether it would be ready for winter.

Having booked Le Centaure last winter we swapped to Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz which was great. You can easily ski over to Flaine from there if you are an intermediate and Les Carroz is a much prettier base!
snow report
I did exactly the same thing last year (are we married?Laughing). I don't want to do it again though, and I really fancy Flaine this year.
ski holidays
the pool/spa area not looking particularly ready is it http://associationflainoise.piwigo.com/index?/category/27-le_centaure_piscine
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy