Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scott Mission 2013. Crazy Cheap.

Poster: A snowHead
I have been considering buying some Scott missions for the past few seasons and think I may have just stumbled upon a very good deal.

A ski store in Leeds appear to be selling 2013 Scott mission skis with salomon s10 bindings, poles, ski bag and delivery for £305.

I don't seen to be able to find any mention of 2013 missions elsewhere on the internet, and even the Scott website does not mention them.

Does anybody have any information on the 2013 Scott range or opinions on this deal?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter_K, I thought I heard that there wouldn't be a Mission in 2013, or that it was perhaps the last season for them. Sorry my answer is a bit vague.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what's the shop? seems unlikely.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The shop is Severn Sport.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have spoken to them and they appear friendly, helpful and professional. I am not linked to then in any way.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Severn Sports is a well known long established business up here, can't speak for the actual deal on offer but you should have no problems with the retailer themselves.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well.... here you go!

http://www.severnsports.com/uk/rossignol-race-equipment?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1797&category_id=51

Bargain if the real deal.

What's confusing is that on Ski Business, it quite clearly states (by Scott) that the Mission was to disappear.

http://skiingbusiness.com/11468/uncategorized/2012-13-ski-preview-scott/

Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, and they are the same graphics as 2011 ones I think.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I had also seen somewhere that the Mission was to be discontinued. Maybe they are a pre production run?
I have ordered anyway. Let's see what i get. I have been told to expect delivery next week.
Very impressed with the customer service.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The graphics appear to be more blue than the 2011 or 2012 ones, and the geometry seems more similar to the 2012 version. Very confusing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scott have put the Mission in to their Rental section (growing market for Scott) so this will be a rental version (toughened up top sheet + harder base with no graphic) but still out of the new 2012 mould.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Marky. That would make sense as the bindings appear to be mounted onto a rail similar to rental skis.

If buying from new is there anything to be concerned about with rentals? Except maybe a little more weight from the mountings. If the top sheet and base are tougher then surely this can only be a good thing?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fall-line ran an article a while ago concluding that rental versions of skis were likely to be made with the market requirements in mind i.e. heavier, more durable, perhaps different base material. Essentially the ski might perform very differently from the retail model. Whether this is a plus or minus to you depends on what you were looking for in the first place.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whatever way it goes with build quality, materials etc... I'd be mightly annoyed if I had been sold something set for the rental market and not been told about it before purchase.

I guess if you ordered online you get to return under distance buying laws.

Also, are you light enough to use the 10 din bindings on offer with that package?

FWIW, I got an email from edgeandwax earlier highlighting their sale that continues this weekend with K2 Aftershocks selling at £300. I know where my money would be!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fatbob, I believe that this is the article that you mentioned. http://www.fall-line.co.uk/news/features/the-great-rental-rip-off

Shoogly, I am reasonably light so the din setting is not a problem, but I am having second thoughts about the purchase.

Is anybody willing to offer a balance to the opinions expressed so far?
snow report
 cran
cran
Peter_K wrote:

They look like good ski's to me... Cool
snow conditions
I rented a pair of Scott missions in Verbier this year. Looked a couple of years old but I thought that they were great skis. If I was looking to buy I'd definitely consider them.
snow report
Peter_K wrote:

These skis still went down very well at the UK ski test in Kuthai and many respected testers gave them a big thumbs up. They aren't that much heavier than the non rental version and many saw the tougher base as a positive rather than a negative. The RRP on these rental skis is £400 + Easytrack bindings at £100 = £500. The price you have paid is very good!!
ski holidays
shoogly,

I'm 16.5 stone and I only ski on 7.5. The size of your boots and your age has an influence on DIN settings, it's not all down to weight.

Height, weight & boot size give me a 6. Adjust 2 notches for a type 3 skier to 8.5, knock 1 off for age gives 7.5 (well it's actually 7 but I find that a bit too prone to pre-release).
ski holidays
musher wrote:
shoogly,

I'm 16.5 stone and I only ski on 7.5. The size of your boots and your age has an influence on DIN settings, it's not all down to weight.

Height, weight & boot size give me a 6. Adjust 2 notches for a type 3 skier to 8.5, knock 1 off for age gives 7.5 (well it's actually 7 but I find that a bit too prone to pre-release).

Sweet or salted?
snow report
Severn Sport are having a real sale and have sold tens of thousands of pounds worth of stock off very cheaply, including no reserve auctions on eBay.
snow conditions
Doesn't say on the website that they are 2013 models...doesn't stop them being a bargain:D ....If I needed some I would be first in line...... as for DIN settings big can of worms.... high DIN setting bindings tend to be made a bit stronger because they need to be... I ski on 8 but wouldn't buy binding that only went up to 10... Personal choice..... Very Happy
snow report
II wrote:
Doesn't say on the website that they are 2013 models.. Very Happy

These are for sure a 2013 model
snow conditions
They may well be but it doesn't say that on the website....

NEW 2013 SEASON SCOTT SKIS ALL 40% OFF! ALSO RECEIVE A FREE SET OF POLES AND SKI BAG WITH EVERY SKI.
BE THE FIRST TO OWN NEXT SEASONS SKIS
OFFER ENDS 4.00pm SUNDAY

SKI SPECIAL OF THE WEEK
SCOTT MISION SKI RRP £499.95 NOW 45% OFF £274.97

SCOTT VENTURE SKI 2011/2012 £339.95 RRP £545

SCOTT NEO SKI 2011/2012 £309.95 RRP £500

that is cut and paste from the website as you can tell by the typo.... Wink

does not say what year the mission's are from...
ski holidays
II wrote:

"Be the very first to own next seasons 2013 Scott skis with a special offer from Severn Sports."

First paragraph in the link!
latest report
marky, but none of the skis listed actually state that they are 2013 models.
snow report
marky, as I bought a very nice pair of scott skis from you which are great... I dont have the will argue the point....
ski holidays
Thanks for all the opinions and advice.

I can see both sides of the coin but will tell myself that I have got a bargain. I will post something on here when they turn up.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FFS!

Somebody pick up a phone and talk to a human being. I'm told there are still a few left in interwebland.
snow report
II wrote:
marky, as I bought a very nice pair of scott skis from you which are great... I dont have the will argue the point....

Cool and apologies I was getting pedantic (Just getting in the Snowhead spirit!)
snow report
My understanding is all that has changed in recent years is the top sheets anyway - I ve had a pair of Missions from 2007 and then bought a pair of cheap £100 ex rental 2010 missions - they were heavier but that looked primarily down to the binding difference - rental rail heavyweight vs touring Diamir Freeride. A really nice ski, probably cheap because Scott are now pushing the Venture more,... Enjoy it , I am sure you will and they will pay for themselves quickly at that price too!

great skis for european mixed skiing in my view.
ski holidays
II wrote:

NEW 2013 SEASON SCOTT SKIS

Maybe I am being amazingly slow, but that sounds like 2013 Scott skis to me!!
ski holidays
Well this: "Scott Mission Ski + Salomon L10 Bindings 2013" from http://www.severnsports.com/uk/rossignol-race-equipment?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1797&category_id=51 - that implies to me that only the binding is 2013.

Scott Skis themselves no longer seem to be making the Mission for sale - see http://www.scott-sports.com/gb/en/category/wintersports/WintersportsSki/WintersportsSkiSki/ so it does look like "New Old Stock" dressed up with a new binding. Nothing wrong with that especially as the construction and geometry doesn't appear to have changed in 7 years and the "market" want something funkier. With Poles and bag £305 in July seems fair all round too my mind.
snow conditions
The Scott mission is no longer made for 2012/13.
snow report
it was massively over rated - v poor edge hold in hard conditions - hope its replaced with a decent model!
snow report
Cynic is correct, the mission is no more. A rental version has been made available to the UK market with a different top sheet, graphic, thicker base and edges. Geometry is the same though. There are current missions in stock at the european HQ, so some are choosing to make it a carry through model off their own backs, which is leading to the confusion.

It was deemed (By Scott apparently, as a dealer and as ski testers we may have an alternative view) that the Venture replaced it. Having skied both a lot, it is an interesting one. Those two skis are not alike. But as mishmash says, the Mission has been around for years and things do move on!

Hope that helps,

ScottyDog
(Scott Wintersports Dealer and fan)
latest report
thebrownslug, I loved the Mission but have the same opinion as you on very hard snow, I found it was not it's grip say on very polished slalom piste, but it's vibration at speed on rough brittle rock hard snow with death cookies and it's ability to fly off even if binding was wound up to double figures. I have had several bruising nose dives luckily without big falls due to this, but as a soft snow and allrounder still very difficult to beat.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy