Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Resort, less than 2 hours from Munich, good apres

Poster: A snowHead
Normally go to Mayrhofen, thinking of a change, suggestions?

Thought about Ischgl, but a little too far, we like a ski on the morning of our last day (flight from Munich at 5.30pm).

Boys (late forties) trip.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 23-07-12 13:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very similar distance as Ischgl, but St Anton would be top of my list. Just get up a bit earlier for your final skin?

What sort of skiing are you after though?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kirchberg/Kitzbuhel
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ghost Dog, are you going for a week? If so, why not use the Edinburgh to Innsbruck flight with TUI and St Anton and Ischgl only an hour away (good flight times too, allowing you a Saturday afternoon ski/apres).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ghost Dog, you may be limiting yourself quite considerably if you are only thinking of flying into Munich. Innsbruck, Salzburg or Zurich would open up far more options with less chance of getting caught up in traffic either getting to the resort or returning to the airport.

I work about 30kms to the west of Munich and live just about half way between Munich and Salzburg and it is now taking me nearly 2 hours every trip to return home 120kms away! Munich Airport is about 30kms north of Munich itself and although you do not have to drive through the city, the roads around it at the weekends are fairly conjested on a pretty regular basis at practically any time of year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flights to Munich are already booked. We only go for 4 nights so Edinburgh charter no use to us. Takes me 1 hour 40 from airport to the Hoff, looking for something similar ish transfer (although it took 6 hours this year due to snow and the queues into Kitz, I've checked my dates this year). Kitzbuhel doesn't appeal to some of the guys.

We may go to Soll or just go back to Mayrhofen again. I'm not fussed, am going at New Year too, if it ain't broke don't fix it. But one of our group is keen to try somewhere else. He may well find that the democratic process stymies his desire Smile

May try and find Innsbruck flights for 2014, although with the demise of Lufthansa flights from Edinburgh may be tricky.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jet2 do Salzburg from Edinburgh for future ref. Never used them but sister and hubbie have and rated them highly. We drove from Munich to Kappl (6km short of Ischgl) a few years ago and took 5 hours - major delays getting into Austria then the cut-off to Zillertal. 4 hours after leaving Munich, we passed Innsbruck, so lesson was well and truly learned that year - pay the extra for Innsbruck (certainly for western Tirol)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most flights listed for Edinburgh Innsbruck quote a journey time of 23 hours, no ta!

Munich is normally fine for Zillertal/Ski Welt except in bad weather and/or race weekends. Flight times are good arrive Munich 10.50am leave at 5.30pm (the flight is always listed as a 7-7.30pm departure then KLM email to say it has changed. Just received my email forNew Year (makes booking a train a boit of a gamble).

Jet2 only fly to Salzburg on a Saturday, no use when you want to return on a Wednesday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ghost Dog, You won't get the Tui flight on a website, other than www.charteredflights.co.uk ?? Call Crystal/Thomson/First Choice to get details. Normally leaves 7am and return leaves around 12 noon. Normally £280 or £150 if you leave it till last minute.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's still a weekly charter which is no use to me. Likewise the Thomas Cook flight.

What i need is Easyjet to start flying to Innsbruck from Edinburgh Wednesdays and Saturday, can but dream.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ghost Dog, I've been having the same dream for nearly 10 years now Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ghost Dog - do you have any recommendations for accommodation in Mayrhofen? Looking at a boys weekend (6 of us, or so; mid-forties, or so), and know getting a place for less than a week is always a bit tricky...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
triffic, You can often find accommodation for a few days on this website http://www.tiscover.com/at/destinations/austria
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ghost Dog,
Quote:
Most flights listed for Edinburgh Innsbruck quote a journey time of 23 hours, no ta!
That'll be the Edinburgh - Vladivostok - Innsbruck cheapo saver route then??
You have so many choices within 2 hours from Munich it's hard to know where to begin. My favourite would be Kitzbühel, although I'd probably stay in Kirchberg. But you have the Zillertal, Ski Welt, Öetztal, Serfaus ( maybe not two hours ), Arlberg ( Ok, 2.5 hours ), Ischgl (also 2.5h ), Stubai, Kühtai etc etc etc. And then there's the resorts in Garmisch / Zugspitzarena which are deffo worth a visit. Plus a shitload more than I can even begin to mention here.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arlberg and ischgl little too far if we want a good morning skiing we'd morning. Skiwelt is possibility I will look at others. Soll is our most likely although I would be happy to go back to the hoff.

Triffic, the Perauer is nice as is the Viktoria . They both will do short stays.
latest report
Arlberg and ischgl little too far if we want a good morning skiing we'd morning. Skiwelt is possibility I will look at others. Soll is our most likely although I would be happy to go back to the hoff.

Triffic, the Perauer is nice as is the Viktoria . They both will do short stays.
latest report
Ghost Dog, Think you are limiting yourself too much. Granted you've got to consider the rest of your team but is an extra 30mins really too far? If so then just stick to Mayrhofen (never been but hear it's good).
snow conditions
I have found the extra time to St Anton to be more than 30 mins. And if weather is poor then the extra time will increase too. I will look at the various options, but "vibrant" apres is a must apparently Smile

Soll looked less lively at Christmas than Mayrhofen, but seemed to be a fair bit to do (drink) post sliding. Great spare ribs on the hill too.
snow report
It's a good hour and a half from the Mayrhofen turn off (Jenbach) to St Anton.
snow report
One thing you have to be pretty careful about is when you are doing the timing, if you are coming back on some saturdays the times from Austria to Munich can be a lot longer than at quiet times.
Peak times last year I would hazard a guess that there were no Austrian resorts two hours from Munich airport.
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
It's a good hour and a half from the Mayrhofen turn off (Jenbach) to St Anton.

Never taken me more than 1.5 hours from Innsbruck city centre, and that's in a 22 year old Opel Astra (now dead, sadly).
ski holidays
clarky999, Yeah, but Jenbach is further away than Innsbruck
latest report
Embarassed

In my defence, it's been a long day and I'm still working...
snow report
clarky999, and it must get confusing - Aberdeen/Leamington Spa/Innsbruck
ski holidays
Sorry to go off topic. Thinking of flying to Munich and going to Mayrhofen this season, would you recommend it?
snow conditions
Yes!

Easy transfer by car, cheap by train (car may be cheaper if you are the right sized group.

Great skiing, great apres, snowsure (glacier), what's not to like?
latest report
The nominated driver will have to remain sober for the drive there & back (even if its in the morning). The legal limits are more stringent than the UK of 0.8ml.

Austria Germany 0.5ml which is one small beer. (Germany is 0.3ml if you’re in an accident)

Better to take the train from Munich which is also more reliable Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 7-08-12 15:54; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi Ghost Dog, your right Ischgl is a bit too far for a Saturday afternoon dash.

I agree with "Stielhang"
I would say Kitzbühel is the place, great skiing! Best apres ski in the world. (especially if you are 40 ish)

You did not say when you are going! The snow can be thin enough to make sparks, in early January.

If you cant afford to stay in town there are plenty of Bed und Bratwurst places along the road between Kirchberg & Kitz .. near the Klausen lift.

If there are 4 of you you can get a taxi back from Kitz.

If you are going around Christmas you may be better to give up on the Saturday morning and just drink extra late in St Anton.

Ischgl has the fabulous skiing and the apres ski is OK ( I haven't actually been there since 1995 ).
St Anton's apres ski though is very "double black diamond". Start in the Mooserwert at about 4pm if you can get in, after an hour or two it dosn't really matter any more.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn,
Quote:
I agree with "Stielhang"
Thank you. Not many do these days. A small point... it's Steilhang, as in the part of the Streif which nearly killed Brian Stemmle, and also nearly killed me but not quite as dramatically.
latest report
Not sure what Stanton's point was, I'm not in the habit of drinking and driving. I can have a bevvy once I get there tho.

There are between 6 and 10 of us, currently 6. Some of us don't like Kitz (not me, not skied there). Affordability not so much an issue as value for money. We pay £70 a night for half board in Mayrhofen (or a bit less). That's in centre of town.

I have never experienced any major lack of snow in Austria in mid to late January (touches wooden desk, rubs rabbit foot, throw salt into eyes of colleague standing behind me).

I remain of the view that the Hoff is one of the best resorts close to Munich and we have not yet skied all of the Zillertal. I will try and partially recify that at New Year with MrsDr Ghost Doggy and the pups. But I tried last 2 Easters with them and only managed to get them on the train to Zell once Sad

Thyen again, I quite liked Soll last year and due to too musch snow, a beginner in tow and my knees packing in I didn't ski as much of the Skiwelt as I intended, so happy to return. I will leave the rest of them to fight it out. And try to avoid being the designated driver, always nice to have a beer en route Smile
snow report
Ghost Dog wrote:
Not sure what Stanton's point was, I'm not in the habit of drinking and driving. I can have a bevvy once I get there tho.

It was just a FYI warning for the driver.

Really more relevant for the drive back if your Apres Skiing all weekend as your probably need to be dry at least 24hrs prior to driving to be under 0.5mg.

eg. Paznauntal (Valley Road to Ischgl) is notorious on Sunday afternoon/evening for random Alcohol checks especially if your driving a German registered car.
ski holidays
It is a good point as it is a well-documented fact that the Austrian police do target German registered cars especially at the end of a ski day when they head back to Germany. I got an apology from a police checkpoint when they stopped me at random in my German-registered right-hand drive car. They actually said "we are very sorry, we thought you were a German" Shocked It has actually happened on several occasions but my British driver's license usually gets me waved on, plus the fact that I do not usually drink and ski or drink and drive. It is just not worth losing my license.

There has been a big campaign both here and in Austria to make people more aware of the dangers of residual alcohol in the blood - a skinfull the night before and one small beer at lunch will put you over the limits, even though you feel fine. The 100 km/h IG-L speed limits are switched on and off more or less randomly it seems, especially in Tirol. When the limit is on, not only do you have to know where the fixed cameras are, you also have to be aware of where the laser pistol cameras are hidden! If you understand German they do report them on the traffic reports in Ö3 and other radio stations, but you need to know your route extremely well. I now set my cruise-control to 100 regardless as the odds are if it isn't switched on when you start, it will be at some point!

BTW - the Germans, i.e. Bavarian police also target the Austrian drivers in the interest of fair play of course Laughing
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
100 km/h IG-L speed limits

I saw those quite a few times last Christmas/New Year but never quite understood what the IG-L meant? Seemed to be ignored by a lot of traffic - locals and foreigners.
snow conditions
It is the Immissionsschutzgesetz-Luft - in other words emissions protection law - air! The valley motorways in Austria do have pretty miserable air quality values under some weather conditions. But the provinces have also learnt that it is a nice little earner and the limits are quite often switched on when those conditions do not exist, especially in Tirol because is a major transit route particularly for lorries. In Salzburgerland it is not switched on quite as often but it is becoming more common. I was caught once doing 14 km/h over the limit and got hit with a 15 Euro fine. I believe it is a sliding value according to a) how much you exceeded it by and b) if you have a record of exceeding it!

I simply set my cruise control to 100 as soon as i see it switched on and hope the traffic keeps moving these days. Sad
snow conditions
So IG-L limits apply to all vehicles? My (rash?) assumption was that is was only HGVs or similar. I didn't get caught last winter, but maybe this I'll be a little more circumspect.
snow report
Usually been switched on most times I've driven Kufstein-Innsbruck (in winter). 100 all the way. I do tend to stick to 100 on the GPS, so fractionally over on the speedo. No idea if Austria+Germany have a reciprocal agreement for speeding tickets? Russians just ignore it, and floor it.
Worst was Belgium - 90 the whole way from French border to German border Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Quote:

So IG-L limits apply to all vehicles?

Yep.
Any limit for HGV will be signed as such with the appropriate vehicle weight from which the limit applies.
See it on many hills in Germany (both banning HGV from some lanes uphill, and limiting cars to 100 and HGV's to 40 on some downhills!) Yes 40 km/h. That's quite slow.
ski holidays
Sorry Steilhang. its so easy to get the e and the i mixed, now you have me worried about the spelling, how do you spell Hannenkamb?
We ve all had a whoopsee on that hill.
I think I`ll have my ashes spread out on the steps of the Sonnenbuehel, you must know it. Its where the apres ski gets started at about quarter to 12.
Anyway I better get out of here before I make any more spelling miztakes.
But these Zillertal lovers just dont know what they are missing.
(I must admit I havent been back to kitz since er. . 1990something, so I had better shut up)
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
Yes!

Easy transfer by car, cheap by train (car may be cheaper if you are the right sized group.

Great skiing, great apres, snowsure (glacier), what's not to like?

This is exactly what I hoped to hear! There are only 3 of us so train is the easiest option I think. Thanks!
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
Sorry Steilhang. its so easy to get the e and the i mixed, now you have me worried about the spelling, how do you spell Hannenkamb?
But these Zillertal lovers just dont know what they are missing.
(I must admit I havent been back to kitz since er. . 1990something, so I had better shut up)

It's the Hahnenkamm...

And knowing both the the Zillertal and the Kitzbuhel/Kirchberg areas they are both great, but my preference is actually for the Zillertal. NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy