Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Positive side-effects of injuries

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe something to cheer up those who are recently injured, struggling with rehab etc etc

As I was cycling round Regent's Park this morning, enjoying the sunshine it occurred to me that if my knee hadn't flared up, I would never have got my bike back on the road (I was looking for something low impact to keep me fit and build the leg muscles up again).

Now I'm loving cycling and it would never have happened if it had not been for my knee.

Any other nice side-effects of injuries people would like to share?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno wrote:
I scored a large collection of industrial strength Diclofenac when I broke some ribs. I now have a secret stash of good painkillers for when I really need them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just badly sprained my ankle climbing so might get some time to edit together videos I've been meaning to do for ages but the nice weather has kept me outside.

Other plus side is that I'm supposed to be moving house this weekend and am completely unable to carry anything at the moment so will just have to direct everyone else. Cool

Downside is all the brooding about being injured and hobbling around like a spazz. I don't get on well with being injured at all especially as this basically wrecks most of my plans for the rest of the summer just as I was getting into a position to get them done! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would not be living and working in the Alps now if I had not had my ACL (along with a lot of other soft tissue snapped in the same incident) wrecked in an accident in '89. Nor would I have changed careers, got postgraduate qualifications in IT, French and German. Lying on your back in a hospital for 5/6 weeks does wonders for learning a language.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Err, sorry, none whatsoever.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Arno wrote:
I scored a large collection of industrial strength Diclofenac when I broke some ribs. I now have a secret stash of good painkillers for when I really need them.

Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in a car accident in my late teens - car rolled several times. Fortunately, the worst injury was to me - broken bone in my thumb. The pleasant upshot was the sympathy shag I managed to get later the same evening Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chasseur, was she still unconscious?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I get to eat more chocolate to make myself feel better. But then I also feel guilty for eating lots of chocolate and not burning it off Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The dog seems a lot better after a reduced walking schedule while I recover from an ACL op.

She managed to jump of a cliff and dislocate her 'wrists'. In all she's made a remarkable recovery but this extra period of rest seems to have been positive for her.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mosha Marc, Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Err, sorry, none whatsoever.

You do get to meet some nice nurses (and/or doctors).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

rob@rar, I could be picky and point out that diclofenac (Voltarol) is a non steroidal anti inflammatory rather than a pain killer.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, I have some indometacin left over which are simalar to Diclofenac.... There are unpleasent to take.... not something I would take unless absolutly needed... They do kill pain dead though...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Indomethacin one up from diclofenac indeed in strength s.e included.
snow conditions
Cynic, they are painkillers as well because they reduce the inflammation! Little Angel
snow report
Good points re drugs. I have some codeine left from a back injury; great when you crush a few and take with vodka.
latest report
My French has improved enormously since I did my ACL. There was quite a significant psychological barrier to me speaking in French with people (could understand everything and can read and write it well, but could only bring myself to talk to people I knew really well). Three times a week physio sessions, a stay in hospital requiring conversations with anesthetist and numerous nurses, as well as daily home visits from nurses post op - none of whom speak English - gave me no choice but to get over myself and I finally feel confident to say, yes I can speak good French, even when totally off my face on morphine! I really don't know how long it would have taken me to get to this stage without the injury forcing it upon me.

I also have a drawer full of codeine.
snow report
Discovering Pilates.
ski holidays
I had a bulged disc in my back two years ago ; it rebulged , affected my life pretty severely etc for quite some time. After the second time the doctor and physio told me if I didn't get my core strenght up I would have back issues for ever.

I listened and am now fitter than I have been for at least 11 years (pre-kids/pregnanacy). It was a classic mum type thing, after second child found no time for myself to excercise what with work and the kids. Core probably extra poor due to two c sections etc . Make time now as it was pretty miserable for my kids when I was injured. In fact I am fairly fixed about it all

I feel really good for it ; much more energised and feel good physically.
snow report
gryphea,
Quote:

if I didn't get my core strenght up I would have back issues for ever
Exactly. (It doesn't half go again quickly, though. After a recent operation, my core strength is much reduced - and I'm getting backache. Sad )
ski holidays
Rediscovery of my golf clubs since Bu*gering my knee. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
miranda,
Quote:

I also have a drawer full of codeine.

Marvellous treasure, the highly addictive opiate relative of heroin beloved of the West Coast crowd; to feel it's lovely warm cloak of tranquillity, they have to cold separate it from the paracetamol it carries in the US and mix it with Ribena to ease the bitterness, making the celebrated “Purple Drank” the dose they use is (censored)
latest report
To be honest I'm yet to see any, my injury is ongoing! Got problems with my knee and getting a MRI next week. After that maybe surgery, and then hopefully I will get my fitness back on track and be skiing again! Smile
ski holidays
After spraining my ankle many many times I finally broke the damn thing! The break healed quite quickly and seems to have stabilised the whole thing, I have not sprained it again since.15 years and counting vs several times a year and a near permanant limp.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Good points re drugs. I have some codeine left from a back injury; great when you crush a few and take with vodka.

Indeed. I still have the codeine. But the resultant constipation, or rather the constipation ending, is not pleasant for family members! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Five months of opiate consumption really chilled me out!

On the healthy side, part of my post-surgery rehab was lots of swimming, which I hadn't done for donkey's years and had forgotten just how enjoyable it is. A year later and I'm still swimming twice a week.
snow report
I've just found out how good morphine really is. Had dangly ankle syndrome on Tuesday - spiral fracture fib & tib.
Nail screws and plate hopefully in the morning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
allanm, eek, sorry to hear that. Seen that injury happen. Not nice. Hope you make a good recovery, and in the meantime enjoy the buzz wink
ski holidays
allanm, OMG! Get well soon. How did you manage that?
ski holidays
Pedantica Waterskiing, pretty unusual accident though. Cheers Rob.
Looks like I'm 'first up' this morning, having been cancelled the last two days.
ski holidays
allanm, Oh really sorry to hear that. A friend of ours did just that playing touch rugby with teenagers a few weeks ago - he pretended it hadn't happened for a day, then ran to catch his flight home & didnt get it looked at till a day later (doctors rolling eyes ). As a result it was too swollen for them to do anything but backslab it & make him rest, so it was 10 days or so before they could pin it. Glad you got it sorted early Smile
snow conditions
genepi, Pretending it didn't happen wasn't really much of an option, even after the 1st 10ml morphine had kicked in, had I tried to walk I'd have probably tripped over my own foot!!!!
Looks like being 9AM pre-med....
snow report
allanm, good luck!
snow conditions
I can now confirm that in slightly larger doses, morphine is key, and probably paramount, to the retention of the post-op room roof.

As an aside (off topic I know.... ;>) I no longer have a wobbly ankle, seems now to be quite firmly attached to my lower leg. Apart from hurting a tad, this is a vast improvement to the situation of 9 AM this morning).

Al'
ski holidays
allanm, ouch, do get better quickly!
snow report
allanm, ouch indeed! Glad the repair sounds like it has gone well though. Morphine is a wonderful thing isn't it? Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Unfortunately morphine makes me so sick and dizzy that - at least for any operation I've had - the pain is preferable.
latest report
Pedantica, Sad Was there an alternative for you when you had your recent op?

I have to say, I realise I'm pretty lucky with drugs. Having had my first experiences with morphine and codeine recently, I was all prepared for nausea, constipation etc. but didn't suffer at all. I think I'm probably the unusual one, rather than you.
snow report
miranda, I wasn't in too much pain, apart from one uncomfortable night, Paracetamol sufficed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy