Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canon G12 or something else??

Poster: A snowHead
I have a Canon 7D and a P&S Sony DSC-TX5, however I find I don't take the 7D on holidays where I fly and find myself wishing for manual controls on the TX5.

So if I wanted a compactish camera with manual controls and a viewfinder, is there anything else I should add to my shortlist which currently consists of the G12 only!

I like the idea of the micro 3/4 but I don't think I want to be carrying around lens, so the added zoom the G12 would be useful.

Thanks for any ideas,

Thanks,

Greg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A tempting price on Amazon at the mo for the G12.

I've an S90 for the same reason and it's been very good indeed, better then the 450D I had.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have the G11 and am very happy with it, one of the view digital compacts to still retain an optical viewfinder which can be incredibly useful in really bright conditions such as snow, I have big pockets and the Cannon will fit in one which is handy and it feels tough and well protected from accidental damage unlike some cameras.

The cannon has a huge range of controls and the ability to store images as RAW files which means you can get great pics if you are willing to spend a few weeks finding out what all the controls will do and where each is located, even if you are not there are enough easy to access controls that you can still get great results
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Micro 4/3 - way better quality, and the size trade off even with a lend on the front isn't much.

Especially if you go for the panny 14-42 x zoom - it's collapsible. Add in a 20mm pancake, and it's a decent setup for low light as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used to have a G9 which was pretty similar in terms of ergonomics to a G12. I thought it was OK but when it got stolen I replaced it with a Panasonic LX3 which I have now upgraded to an LX5. I prefer these to the Canon. Smaller, decent manual controls and a really nice Leica lens. There is supposedly a replacement in the works with a bigger sensor. I don't really miss the VF from the G9 - it wasn't great. You should check out the Fujifilm X10 - the ergonomics are lovely and it's a little smaller than the G12. The lens looks nicer too. Also the Canon G1X looks interesting. Similar shape to the G12 but a bigger sensor.

Finally, the Olympus XZ1 would also be worth a look
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone got a view of the canon s100?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, highrustler uses the s100 and his photos are always class.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
A tempting price on Amazon at the mo for the G12.

I've an S90 for the same reason and it's been very good indeed, better then the 450D I had.

...... Only because the 'automatic' modes on the compacts have have much more sharpening by default, if all you care about is sharp, have a look at 'picture styles' , you can increase default sharpening [on the 450]. There's no way that a (current) compact is going to produce better images than the 450D.... if you read the manual. Colour rendition is another ball game totally, 450D will win out here by miles, but you may not notice....

I use a Canon S70 as a pocket camera... Bought on Fleabay for £20, apart from a slower shutter response than later compacts, results are pretty good... as long as I point the thing in the right direction.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
allanm, I'm no photographer but I swapped the 400 (it was a 400 or a 450) for a 550 job and that was an impressive step forwards.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I know plenty of people in my camera club who spoke highly of the Canon G range in the past as a second camera for when they didn't want to take their bulky main camera with them, but this seems to have been displaced by people raving about the Sony Nex range recently. Perhaps worth taking a look at those too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want a "compact" type camera with manual controls and great performance then try the Panasonic GX1 with the "X" folding lens (which makes it more compact that the other micro 4/3rds)

here's a review http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcgx1
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maybe the OM-D as they suggested over on "thedigitalfix" Very Happy It is weather proofed too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reecie, it's feckin expensive though!!

leaning towards the Canon s100 as it seems to be pocketable, and have RAW and manual.....all the others are almost twice the depth, so less pocketable! S100 is 28mm, Olympus xz-1 is 42mm, Fuji X10 is 57mm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, I looked at the S100 and almost went for it, but in the end was swayed by a Canon SX230 which I got for a very good price. The S100 and the SX230 both pass the "chest pocket in a ski jacket" test, but when I looked at the G12 it was just a bit too big for that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar, does the SX230 shoot raw and have manual controls??
snow report
It has manual controls, but no RAW shooting. It has full manual, aperture priority, shutter priority, programme and full auro modes, plus a variety of shooting scenes you can choose from.
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
rob@rar, does the SX230 shoot raw and have manual controls??

the GX1 has raw and loads of manual controls.... and with the folding lens looks like this

ski holidays
Sack the Juggler, not sure it would pass the "chest pocket in a ski jacket" test

Weight (inc. batteries) 318 g (0.70 lb / 11.22 oz)
Dimensions 116 x 68 x 39 mm (4.57 x 2.68 x 1.54")

vs the S100

Weight (inc. batteries) 198 g (0.44 lb / 6.98 oz)
Dimensions 99 x 60 x 28 mm (3.9 x 2.36 x 1.1")
snow report
if its a chest pocket test I would go with the s100 - I've got the s90 and i'm amazed at how small it is for the sensor size, however if its image quality I'd go for another camera - the leader for that size sensor is probably the LX5 - slighty bigger than the s100, but go to curry's / dixons and see if you can fit one in your chest pocket without the staff noticing - whichever one fits is yours! Very Happy
snow report
Sack the Juggler, nice, but too big for me for a day to day camera.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Sack the Juggler, nice, but too big for me for a day to day camera.

I snowboard all the time with an olympus E-p3 and a couple of small lenses in my jacket pocket - absolutely fine, and a bit bigger than a GX-1.

The micro 4/3 system is fantastic for a sensible weight/size/quality compromise in good light. I sold all my SLR gear in the end, because it just wasn't getting used.

In contrast, compacts like the Canon s100 and G12 just annoy me - they never really deliver on the quality or speed of use. I've got big hands, and I find the little buttons and small bodies difficult to use as well, especially if it's cold or with gloves on.

Everybody's needs are different, as is tolerance for how big is OK, but dipping a toe in the water, buying a heavily discounted Olympus EPL1 or Panasonic GF3 would be worth it, just to give it a try without too much expense.

The OMD looks really nice, but it's bloody expensive for what it is.
snow report
Hmm, quite impressed with the s100, very pocketable, had it all weekend at a family festival, even fits in shorts pockets Smile

IMG_0013 by kitenski, on Flickr

IMG_0006 by kitenski, on Flickr

IMG_0018 by kitenski, on Flickr
ski holidays
St Etienne?
snow conditions
fatbob, yup
ski holidays
No viewfinder, but in the compact sector nothing can touch the Sony rx100 for

image quality,
speed of focusing
visibility of LCD in sunlight
video quality
dynamic range (not blowing highlights)

With a f1.8 lens and excellent quality at high iso it is also very good for low light photos

You do pay a premium for it though at £516 (out August 1st in UK). If that's too much the canons mentioned above will fit the bill very well.

http://youtube.com/v/sWSwHZ9_R8o
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/sony_rx100.shtml
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Cyber-shot_DSC_RX100/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-rx100/sony-rx100A.HTM

http://youtube.com/v/t7QA4N5qbtg#!
snow report
Sony RX100 looks fantastic but at 518 quid at Amazon it's pricey.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Cybershot-DSC-RX100-Digital-Optical/dp/B008CNMZDW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343063774&sr=8-1&tag=amz07b-21

I've got the Olympus XZ-1 as my second camera (Canon 7D is my main camera).

Great pics, great in low light, great macro.

No full HD movie but still good quality.

"In the XZ-1’s High Def movie mode the camera captures video using the advanced Motion JPEG movie compression format at a resolution of 1280x720 pixels and a rate of 30 frames per second."

Passes the pocket test too.

Indoor shots and video without flash - the sushi ones

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2026467#2026467

Good image stabilisation too - handheld following Ian Mackenzie

http://youtube.com/v/eIGJ5dexJ34

A steal on Amazon at the moment - 251 quid

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-XZ-1-Digital-Camera-i-Zuiko/dp/B004G8QSTY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343063437&sr=8-2&tag=amz07b-21
latest report
kitenski, A pro snapper pal rates the s100, he also said he had got rid of his nex as the lens was "soft".
latest report
Looks like UK stock of the Sony rx100s have started arriving still pricy but £439.99 from Victors http://www.victors.co.uk/dscrx100.html#

Be interesting to see how much it drops by January.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You're paying for an awesome sensor so its worth it IMO. Am getting one as my 'take everywhere' camera.
latest report
jbob wrote:
kitenski, A pro snapper pal rates the s100, he also said he had got rid of his nex as the lens was "soft".

Your pal only used one lens on his NEX ... which one ? I've got a 5N and its stock short zoom (18-55) is pin sharp across the f stops and the little 16mm pancake I bought recently is as good as can be hoped for when wide open in a lens that's so close up to such a large sensor and which makes the NEX hardly larger than my little Panasonic LX. Using the NEX pancake with a narrow aperture instead, the results are pin sharp as well and because the NEX sensor is 9-10 times bigger than a compact's, it still deals with a bucket load more light than a compact would. Next buys are the very well rated Sony super wide & fisheye convertors for the 16 mm pancake.

Apart from those two lenses, there're quite a lot more e-mounts made for NEX and a shed load more Alphas that are fully compatible too (with an Alpha/NEX convertor) plus just about any old SLR format lens that can be used on the NEX family with the right mount albeit with manual focussing assisted by its very nifty visual 'focus peaking' indicator.

It's the NEX menu that's a bit maddening though. The camera itself is awesome and is helping me rediscover the fun I used to have with my old Olympus SLR back in the day. Except for the bloody menu !! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
This the comparison I knocked up. I certainly wouldn't want anything bigger than the S100 for a carry anywhere camera.

Dimensions (mm) Weight (g) Price
w d h
Canon s100 99 60 28 198 £339.00
Fuji x10 117 70 57 350 £349.00
Olympus xz-1 111 65 42 275
Sony rx100 102 59 36 240 £579.00
snow report
Sony RX 100 HD Video

Impressive

http://boingboing.net/2012/07/31/hd-video-from-the-rx100.html
ski holidays
We've had a G7 for years and have been very happy with it. We bought it following a recommendation from a photographer friend of ours who has bought the 8, 9, 10, 11 and now 12 since.

Cheers

Kersh
latest report
Anyone got the new Sony? Is this the best current compact choice for skiing/kids action shots when the DSLR stays at home?
snow conditions
Mine just arrived at my parents place, will be picking it up early Sept.
latest report
All
If you're considering a 'serious' point and shoot, many Canon's can be 'upgraded' to RAW, and a lot more besides, using CHDK.
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

it's a really awesome freeware firmware update - gives you loads of functions (live histogram, variable video quality etc). Works for a lot (but not all) canon P&S, and I'm raving about it as someones' reverse engineered it for the S1, which I have.

I believe it has been coded for the S100, and the SX230, but not the newer 20x zoom replacements.

As an aside, Canon's warranty program is pretty good, I had the sensor replaced on my S1 at no cost, 5 years after purchase - camera (and the dive case and extension lens) now have a new lease of life.
cheers,
h.
snow report
I'll have my RX100 tomorrow but the DPReview just went up:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy