Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Tania or Sainte Foy - Easter 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

After my other posts about school holidays and booking flights ahead of accomodation I'm now recovering from a leg op so have found myself off work with time to browse t'interweb and maybe just get the whole thing booked! rolling eyes

Background - need to go in school holidays for the first time, both hubby and I now have w/c 7th April off so a month later than we normally go. DS will have just turned 5 and it will just be him, hubby and I going as our usual group don't have kids so will be going in March as usual.

Requirements are DIY or small TO as opposed to any of the big ones, regional flight to Geneva, 2 - 2.5 hour transfer, catered accommodation (will be wierd sharing with strangers though as its always just been our group! rolling eyes ). Smallish nice village with easy to get to ski school, ideally not on a bus and not at the top of a gondola! Other stuff for us and DS to do in the afternoons incase he won't want to ski in the afternoons. Not bothered about mileage for us this year as i'm conscious we'll probably ski less than we have done in the past and a small resort or local pass will suffice and save a bit of cash. Not bothered about wrap around childcare as want to take and collect him from ski school and have afternoons with him but hoping as its a school holiday there will be other families in the chalet.

Have loved Morzine, Les Gets, and Chatel in the past so was originally considering Avoriaz (I know its ugly but I quite like it!) but seems mostly self catered or Mark Warner type accomodation. Also like Meribel/Courchavel this year so considering La Tania as that seems to fit the bill but have now stumbled accross in Sainte Foy which looks like another good option other than the longer transfer.

Am I barking up the right tree with these too for early April? Any other similar resorts I should look at before I start looking at some chalets? Any other accomodation suggestions in either of these would also be welcome.

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Here you go Smile

http://familyfriendlyskiing.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given your child is only 5 is it worth asking permission to take your child out of school? We did this for my eldest in year R and have permission to do it again next year when she will be in year R. Our school prefers you to time it to it is adjacent to an existing school holiday as this minimises disruption. It makes a huge difference to price.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately his school won't authorise any absence for holidays from this September, a new county wide policy that is being cascaded down to them.

Don't mind going at Easter as I guess we're going to have to get used to it!

Will be very strange staying in a chalet with a bunch of strangers, something we've not done for a long time, hopefully they'll be likeminded people and it will be fine! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Will be very strange staying in a chalet with a bunch of strangers

It's interesting that people sometimes say this, but it's what you always do in a hotel, isn't it? When we did chalet holidays we found the other people were generally a big "plus" for the holiday - with small kids, if you're self-catering, then evenings can be a bit restricting unless you're particularly fond of reading!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
George06 wrote:
Unfortunately his school won't authorise any absence for holidays from this September, a new county wide policy that is being cascaded down to them.

Don't mind going at Easter as I guess we're going to have to get used to it!

Will be very strange staying in a chalet with a bunch of strangers, something we've not done for a long time, hopefully they'll be likeminded people and it will be fine! Madeye-Smiley

Not good - which county is that? I just hope it doesn't spread. Do you count Esprit as a big TO? One advantage of them is that you will find lots of other families with children meaning your child has friends on hand. Snowbizz seems to be well thought off and may fit your requirements but I can't comment on them from personal experience.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
White Room Chalet in Sainte Foy, every time Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I just hope it doesn't spread.

I get the impression lots of places already have that policy. Not that you have to go along with it, necessarily. There are lots of threads about this; a contentious topic.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickyJ, it's North Yorkshire but no idea if it's a local county policy or part of a national thing.

Have looked at Snowbizz but it appears to be self caterered and definitely want catered, have only 'self catered' on one ski trip and as none of us could be bothered to cook we ate out every night, really didn't enjoy it. Much prefer just poping downstairs to a nice glass of wine or few and a lovely cooked meal. Especially if my son is tucked up in bed by then! NehNeh

Think I may have seen the white room chalet in my search, will have another look.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
George06, here you go:

http://www.whiteroomchalet.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-White-Room-Snowboard-Ski-Mountain-Bike-Holidays/16428646898

The food is excellent too. And the wine flowing.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi George06,

Sainte Foy is extreemly good for learning but slopes are limited for good skiiers and the snow is likely to be a bit slushy/patchy by April. It is a lovely little village though and + 1 for the White Rooms recommendation - they are catered, well set up for kids and really friendly. They can help book passes, lessons etc for you too.

La Tania is less attractive than Sainte Foy although it has a nice village centre. There is more choice of ski schools - Magic in Motion is particularly good - and access to higher slopes to help with the snow. There are plenty of good, smaller catered operators in La Tania so pop your requirements up on chalets direct and see what you are recommended.

Alternatively our chalets in La Plagne tick all your boxes if you think that the resort might suit - more info via the link below.

Happy planning!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snow and Sunshine wrote:
Alternatively our chalets in La Plagne tick all your boxes if you think that the resort might suit - more info via the link below.

Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks, we had a couple of privite lessons with Magic in Motion in Meribel this year and the instructor was excellent.

Hadn't looked at La Plagne, but will do now! Do you do any discounts for Snowheads?! Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There has been a push from Government on absence as a result of evidence suggesting it directly links to exam results. The "threshold" for defining persistent absence has been lowered and schools can effectively being downgraded by Ofsted on the back of their absence control. More here:
http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/inthenews/a00205889/almost-400000-pupils-miss-at-least-a-month-of-school
http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/pupilsupport/behaviour/attendance/a00192068/persistent-absence-pa-threshold-reduction-faqs
My missus is a school governor so I've heard all the debate from both sides. Her particular school now has a policy whereby every absence request has to be made in person to the Head so that she can bend your ear and question the necessity.
It's always difficult when dealing with children because there has to be parental freedom to some extent but clearly if you know something is going to be directly detrimental in the long term then you can argue the government should act. Of course if your child attends religiously through the year and then takes one week of to go skiing, is that really a problem?

Anyway on to the important matter of the skiing. I can't really help on the accomodation as we've only self catered with the kids. Easter had been tough the last couple of years ski condition wise, even going as soon as the schools break up, which this year was last w/e in March. But it doesn't have to be like that. I've had more luck on other occasions. Also it's more likely to be a restriction for yourselves than the little one. Having said that I was thinking this year that staying and skiing at +500m would have made things a whole lot better. We went to a smaller resort, La Norma which was 1300m with a top station 2700m. I've come round to the idea that smaller resorts work better with smaller children. What's the point of having 500k+ laid out in front of you when you can't use it.

That's kind of a general ramble than anything specific but just a few thoughts as it's a slow day in the office and I am about to write a query of my own Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
Easter had been tough the last couple of years ski condition wise, even going as soon as the schools break up, which this year was last w/e in March.

Really, where have you been going? Easter 2012 was one of the best I've had in Austria.
ski holidays
Hi George06,

Thanks for the quick reply - and I hope that you think La Plagne would suit. If you like the look of the chalets drop me through an e-mail and I'll see what I can do about a bit of snowheads discount.

Happy planning!
Heather
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Here you go Smile

http://familyfriendlyskiing.com/

To add some more to my original post that was made in haste Smile We went with the above company for approx 6 years on the trot with my kids from about age 3 I thinkt. Their service is fantastic, they even ran the kids down the valley to a playground in Easter one afternoon!

The skiing is good, my kids loved it!
snow report
Quote:

Really, where have you been going? Easter 2012 was one of the best I've had in Austria.

I was in La Norma, France. Apparently, Austria often fares better snow wise despite lower altitudes due to it's position on the continent. Something I wasn't aware of until discussed on here earlier in the year.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy