Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Manigod

Poster: A snowHead
Hey peeps,

has anyone on here been to Manigod, in the Les Clusaz area and tell me anything about the place?

All I know is it's very French, a pretty small area and ideal for beginners or low intermediates.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, can't help, not been there. But it looks rather nice (http://www.clients-cms.com/CMS/documents/47/plan_manigod.pdf) and the "Col de Merdassier" has a certain ring about it. wink Will be interested to see the comments - might take a trip there next season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Charlatanefc, Is it near to Omigod?
Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, indeed, looks a lovely little place. Ideal for my other half, as it'll only be her 2nd full week on snow.

Alastair Pink, it could well be, it'll be the first time I'll have been on ski's for over 3 years Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charlatanefc, But it won't have Austrian apres-ski!! Shocked
There are plenty of Austrian resorts suitable for a 2nd week skier (and a rusty ex-skier like you). Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

But it won't have Austrian apres-ski!!

Though on the other hand there are probably some downsides, too. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
La Clusaz and Manigod are linked. Grand Bornand shares a lift pass with them (if you ask for it, it's an extra couple of quid) and is a very brief drive or bus ride away, but not linked.

The Manigod limb of the area is mainly short runs, and mainly not very good lifts.

To be honest, I don't think this area is particularly good for people who are between beginner and intermediate.

It's great for absolute first timers (the nursery area up at Beauregard is excellent - lovely scenery, couple of brilliant cafes, two really great green nursery runs - although one of them has a slightly steep drag lift to get back up again), and the intermediate terrain up at the high points is very very good (although limited, and takes an awful long time to get to courtesy of some rather slow lifts). Top of La Balme and top of the Auiguille are places I always look forward to visiting.

What it lacks, though, is long pretty confidence-inspiring runs that are easy enough not to freak out a near-beginner. The main big blue home-run under the Cret Du Merle lifts is far too busy and everso slightly too steep (which also means that the excellent beginner area at the top of it is awkwardly placed because for a beginner there's no easy way home again!). The other obvious 'long blue cruise' is the Guy Perillot which is more or less underneath the Beauregard gondola. Some sections of it again are just a tad on the steep side for someone in a 'second week' scenario.

To get slightly back to your question: the runs up at Manigod itself are probably OK, but like I say, they're over and done with a bit quickly, and you might get bored of them.

Beware the long greens on the piste map. Without exception they are gloomy, icy, paths - strictly connecting runs.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Beware the long greens on the piste map. Without exception they are gloomy, icy, paths - strictly connecting runs.

That's so often the case, isn't it? Horrid runs, not really worthy of the name. Always useful to find out in advance. Charlatanefc, if you want somewhere very friendly for your OH you could do worse than try Les Saisies - with some cheap (and good) private lessons available and some more challenging (though still very much intermediate, rather than expert) terrain for you to explore when she's having lessons.

Very, very, quiet if you avoid French holidays.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charlatanefc - I would also recommend Les Saisies. The ski area is pretty with lots of trees and lovely views of Mont Blanc. The main part of Les Saisies ski area seemed like a larger version of the Manigod/Beauregard sectors of La Clusaz. There are some nice blue runs on either side of the mountain (and reds to progress to if needed).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Saisies is the new La Rosiere.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Les Saisies is the new La Rosiere.

shut your piehole.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote here fo les Saisies
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How's the Les Saisies village? I'm also looking for a place that'll be good, confidence building for my wife and son (3rd week both)but that won't feel too "cramped" for my parents who will be coming along and will take care of my younger one (will be 3.5 years old). My mom doesn't ski at all, while my father's likely to go out skiing for 2 half days
I'm planning on mid-march, so I don't want lower villages like La Clusaz (as it might rain). My other option right now would be Avoriaz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can this please be a thread about Manigod again please.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If the choice is between Manigod and Avoriaz, I’d definitely go for Avoriaz. Even for a beginner Manigod will feel tiny and frustrating after a couple of days.

Avoriaz has a nice progression of slopes for beginners, great for building confidence. And a lot more for experienced skiers and off the slopes too.

I don’t know Les Saisies so can’t comment on there.
latest report
Mr Piehole, If you had told the OP that Manigod was great then people wouldn't have started suggesting alternatives.
ski holidays
Yes, how utterly stupid of me to provide a well informed on-topic answer.
snow report
Quote:

how utterly stupid of me to provide a well informed on-topic answer.

Laughing the answer wasn't stupid, but expecting people to go on discussing the place once you'd dissed it might have been!

sugardaddy, depends what they're looking for. LS has plenty of restaurants, a spa with (very expensive, in my book....) treatments and a nice tea shop attached. A big range of shops - some very useful (superb boulangeries, butchers, traiteurs) to not so useful (plenty of the usual Alpine tat and some improbably expensive underwear). Most people are tucked up in their beds by 10 pm though there's one or two venues with music, sometimes live music, rather later. I'm reliably informed that the "nightclub" is the haunt of a handful of 13 year olds - I've not tried it.
good walks, on prepared pistes. Usual things like snowshoe walks, plus some less usual - have a go at driving a piste basher, go ski-joering, or dog-sledding.

It's very French - to the extent that people with zero French language can struggle a bit.

There are millions of photos on the forum lessaisies.org, run by a French enthusiast. If you want specific information, send me a PM.
snow report
Charlatanefc wrote:
All I know is it's very French
You feeling ok ?!
ski holidays
Tarquin wrote:
Charlatanefc wrote:
All I know is it's very French
You feeling ok ?!

Needs must matey, we're looking at driving down, its a fairly easy place to get to, cheap lift pass and found on slope accomodation for buttons.

If it gets Rach the confidence to progress, will be worth it

Thanks all for the reply's. Somebody there said LS is expensive, so thats out
ski holidays
Mr Piehole, thanks for the detailed reply bud
latest report
Quote:

there said LS is expensive

only for fancy knickers and spa treatments. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy