Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone Ever Worked for Inghams/Ski Total or Esprit?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

I'm a new member so none of you know me yet, but I'm wondering if anyone works / has worked for any of the three companies listed? The reason I ask is because I have an interview with them on 1st of August and the interview sounds... interesting. It's a group interview and I have to present something to the group that explains why my skills and characteristics are suitable for the job.

I'm not asking for somone to put together a presentation for me, but I would love to hear what people did for their presentation and how it went for them, because I'm fresh out of ideas.

Thanks in advance guys!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I have to present something to the group that explains why my skills and characteristics are suitable for the job.

Jimi, there's a clue in there. You firstly need to know what skills and characteristics they are looking for.

I went to their spark new offices in Godalming the other day. Very impressive and a whole floor dedicated to the interviewing and training of resort staff, including a Masterchef-style kitchen where recruits can show off their ability to hash up spag bol. You can tell they really mean business.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

I have to present something to the group that explains why my skills and characteristics are suitable for the job.

Jimi, there's a clue in there. You firstly need to know what skills and characteristics they are looking for.

I went to their spark new offices in Godalming the other day. Very impressive and a whole floor dedicated to the interviewing and training of resort staff, including a Masterchef-style kitchen where recruits can show off their ability to hash up spag bol. You can tell they really mean business.

Wow I didn't know they were that dedicated. I know what they are looking for, and I'm fairly sure I have it, but how do I present the characteristics to them? The ideas I've had are too elaborate and OTT.

"All other positions Interview Task: Please bring something with you to present at the group interview that shows your skills and suitability for the job you have been invited in for, in the most imaginative and creative way possible. Please bear in mind that you need to demonstrate your suitability for the job."
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
What job are you going for?

I worked for them in 10-11 as a kitchen porter/night porter in a chalet hotel.

Interview wasn't too bad to be honest, although I think I had an advantage in that I was a bit older than some of the interviewees (graduate as opposed to school leaver). Make sure you know your CV/application back to front because they will ask questions about it, try and keep your head clear and not get too stressed out... Same as for any other interview really.

The group interview was fine, it's just like a normal interview in most respects in terms of the questions - presenting something about why your skills and characteristics are suitable for the job is really the core of any interview if you think about it! It was a round table sort of thing where the interviewer asked us questions in turn and had us discuss aspects of them.

For me, I'd had a fair few odd jobs so I just linked things from those to the job description.

But to be honest, I felt they were more interested in finding out if you were intelligent, dilligent, capable and hard working rather than actual technical competencies - as they give you training anyway and I would guess given the age of a lot of the interviewees that a lot of them didn't have much work experience.

Feel free to PM me if you want.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I suspect a lot of it is how you present yourself, rather than exactly which skills and characteristics you choose to focus on, so don't get too hung up on that.

There was a recent thread about the Crystal interview process with a lot of good advice which seems equally applicable in your case:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89719
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jimi, Just be honest and tell them you want to do minimum amount of work, get up late, party until 4am, ski/ board all the time even if that means missing a few shifts and generally resenting paying guests, oh and that working is a means to an end so you can be in resort for the winter....................you'd never be accused of lying and would fit in just fine!! wink

Nothing personal BTW, that description just happens to fit 95% of the major Tour Operator ski staff I ever met, now I dont meet any becasue I dont use T/O's. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah that Crystal thread would be good too.

Markymark29, I wouldn't say that's entirely fair... People working for Esprit tend to get sacked if they're late or miss shifts more than a couple of times...

Although of course, you are right in that the only reason for doing it is a means to be in resort for a winter. I don't mind customer service or kitchen work but there's no way I would do that job for that little money WITHOUT being in a ski resort!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bobmcstuff, Fair comment!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
First of all - I would re-read bobmcstuff...but if you are looking at demonstrating that you have what they want...e.g. customer service skills.. I would...

Try to think of the situations where you actually have done this...in a little story that you can tell /help them visualise. Doesn't have to be in a customer service role (though it would be good)...choose your best three/four where you really showed...as you put it "that you have it".

Then decide how best to present the vignettes...specially in a group setting "I did this, I did that" icould sound pretty dry as I am sure you have worked out..so here are a few ideas to help you convery the message.
1. Find a visual image that encapsulates each story - you can easily put together 4 cards/captions to hold in front of you when you talk and is quick to do.
2. Work out if there are any consistent themes - eg "good at problem solving" - possibly assign each story to a strength
3. Interview the people concerned (other people who know you well - eg people you work with) - either put the quotes in a caption or cut the interview nicely to show on your Ipad or quote them ("I aked my current boss what he most valued about my work...")
If you think they are corny...well hopefully somebody will come up with soemthing more original...but they will show that you have thought about it and thought about that they want (ie as if they ar ehte customer!0
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Esprit are very good for the money but the key is that the staff properly look after our kids and that we can trust you to do so. You can (almost) treat the adults less well but you must be absolutely spot on where the kids are concerned.

So :
- don't lie to parents : if the kids hurt themselves tell us - we will find out anyway; it happens, but tell us the truth and then we can deal with it properly
- if someone is ill in the chalet, be honest so that we all can do something about it, it happens
- make sure that whenever you interact with any of the parents, you demonstrate total professionalism and know what the kids will be doing and at what time - if you dont know we dont trust you any more and that goes in your feedback report; make sure you know who they are with and where they are going on the mountain and who with
- never ever treat the parents as one of your mates; you can be friendly, but you are being paid to be in control
- make sure that the kids get enough food and that it is more than edible - again we will ask them and if they are happy, we will be and you will be

If you can find a theme that builds that in, then you might be ok. Good luck
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Markymark29 wrote:
Jimi, Just be honest and tell them you want to do minimum amount of work, get up late, party until 4am, ski/ board all the time even if that means missing a few shifts and generally resenting paying guests, oh and that working is a means to an end so you can be in resort for the winter....................you'd never be accused of lying and would fit in just fine!! wink

Nothing personal BTW, that description just happens to fit 95% of the major Tour Operator ski staff I ever met, now I dont meet any becasue I dont use T/O's. Very Happy

Hahaha, as nice as that would be, I find the snowy mountains among the greatest settings on Earth, and having the opportunity to live there is not something to pass up. I'm more than willing to work my ass off for low pay if it means I'm never more than 10 minutes away from a free pass into some of the greatest slopes in Europe Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I didn't expect to get such a huge response, but it's certainly going to help a lot! Almost looking forward to the interview now :3
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sev112 wrote:
Esprit are very good for the money but the key is that the staff properly look after our kids and that we can trust you to do so. You can (almost) treat the adults less well but you must be absolutely spot on where the kids are concerned.

So :
- don't lie to parents : if the kids hurt themselves tell us - we will find out anyway; it happens, but tell us the truth and then we can deal with it properly
- if someone is ill in the chalet, be honest so that we all can do something about it, it happens
- make sure that whenever you interact with any of the parents, you demonstrate total professionalism and know what the kids will be doing and at what time - if you dont know we dont trust you any more and that goes in your feedback report; make sure you know who they are with and where they are going on the mountain and who with
- never ever treat the parents as one of your mates; you can be friendly, but you are being paid to be in control
- make sure that the kids get enough food and that it is more than edible - again we will ask them and if they are happy, we will be and you will be

If you can find a theme that builds that in, then you might be ok. Good luck

Well I was actually a party host for TenPin Bowling here in the UK, but I've applied for Hotel Assistant instead, the childcare gig wasn't for me really
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jimi wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

Hahaha, as nice as that would be, I'd love to live near a beautiful snowy mountain, and having the opportunity to live there is not something to pass up. I'm more than willing to work my ass off for low pay if it means I'm never more than 10 minutes away from a free pass into some of the greatest slopes in Europe Wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Masterchef kitchen! What happens when they discover they have two rings running 50W to cook on?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy