Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance if you live abroad?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I'm moving, hopefully full-time, to Austria in a couple of weeks. ( snowHead )

Whenever I've gone there before, even for months at a time, I've used travel insurance for skiing, kayaking, etc (would need re-patrioting to UK if injured).

I don't use insurance when I do things like that in the UK, mountain rescue/hospital/etc is free anyway.

If I'm living in Austria, I assume I wouldn't need insurance for these sort of things, like whilst living in the UK? Pretty sure hospital is covered by the state, is mountain rescue (for local taxpayers, not tourists) free too?

Would appreciate some advice please...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999, PM SaraJ who is based in the Zillertal. She is a BASI instructor and Anwärter teaching in Hochfügen in winter and teaching English in the summer, so freelancing pretty well all year round. She can give you the most accurate advice based on real and current experience.

I work full time in Germany and pay into the German system (yes the one supporting the EU profiligates right now Evil or Very Mad ). I have no issues with healthcare or any of the other social support systems. For my many forays into Austria, I currently pay for annual travel insurance with the ADAC which also covers me worldwide as I do occasionally leave the Mainland for other obscure backward-looking locations like the UK wink

Are you planning to try and get a fulltime job in Austria because if you are, you will also be covered once you have a social security number and paying into the system. Good luck anyway and am looking forward to skiing with you sometime soon.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Sue.

I'll be working part time (normally earn enough working in Austria that I have to pay some tax), mainly I'll be doing a German course next year though.

Quote:

Good luck anyway and am looking forward to skiing with you sometime soon.

Roll on winter!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
clarky999,
According to Austrian Mountain Rescuse Services: "Austrian federal law requires the cost of search and rescue (SAR) action to be covered by those rescued rather than by public social insurance or the rescue association"
Two possibilities for you to look at are: http://www.bergrettung.at/ENGLISH.484.0.html and http://www.alpenverein.at/portal/service/mitgliedervorteile/0100_weltweit_versichert.php
I'll also send you a PM shortly...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SaraJ, Great, cheers. Was planning to join the Alpenverein anyway, makes even more sense now.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy