Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Skiing/Snowboarding in the Northern Hemisphere!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

There really is a forum for everything isn't there!

I'm grasping on to the hope that somebody here can reassure me that there are decent places to go skiing/snowboarding during the summer...

I've heard that the conditions are normally quite difficult for beginners? We have a few people in the group that have stepped on ski's for a few years and would probably prefer to not learn on a snowpark!

Where is (generally) the best place to go for summer skiing/snowboarding between late August to early September? (if any)

Thanks! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome iLikeSnow,
Late August / early September is pretty late for summer skiing. Quite a few of the summer ski glaciers close by then and reopen October/November. Going that late I think you'd probably be looking at Saas Fee and Zermatt in Switzerland or Hintertux in Austria. Tignes shuts on 2nd Sept and would probably be pretty scetchy by then (so might Saas Fee & Zermatt tbh). Saas Fee is open for "summer" skiing all the way through to end of October, after that they're into winter mode and may have more open apart from the glacier depending on snow conditions. Not sure on Zermatt, probably similar.

Wherever you go it will only be possible to ski early in the morning, after that it will be too horrible and porridge like. Do you have to go then? Especially if a fairly novice group it would be better to go later when more places and piste is open and likely to be in better condition.

Anyway hope that helps and is food for thought.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks that replying. Even if it has dampened my dreams!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt will defo be open late August/early Sept. I've skied there then and it was great - fresh snow and an impressive number of runs (better than my summer experience of Saas Fee although there's steeper stuff there).
And if you wanna work out how to get to Zermatt by train, check out the SkiRail Map of the Alps - http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
Neil Neige

PS Scandinavia might be an option round then too but I'm not entirely sure. There are Scandinavia summer-skiing experts who post round here so hopefully they'll see this thread too...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
iLikeSnow, Stubai, Hintertux and Kitzsteinhorn glaciers will all be open in September for sure. In August, only Stubai and Hintertux will be open. Hinterux has a lot of skiing including some good gentle stuff but is not really beginner material to be honest.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy