Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SERIOUS HEALTH WARNING Ski Club Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
SERIOUS HEALTH WARNING for the Ski Club of Great Britain Insurance Policy. This policy DOES NOT do what it says on the tin!

Any member contemplating Ski insurance policies should treat the Ski Club Insurance Policy with caution. The benefits advertised are certainly not supported by the service given and legal rights normally associated with UK insurance policies, are not automatically enjoyed by the Ski Club Policy, which is licensed by the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority.

A discussion on this Forum earlier this year attracted a great deal of adverse comment. My contribution was an undertaking to advise how my claim progressed and I have to state that it has been a disaster.

My wife was diagnosed with a fairly serious illness after I had booked trips to Whistler and Tignes. She was not travelling, but I had invited a guest to share the apartment in Whistler. He also had Ski Club Insurance cover. We both had to cancel. After some 9 months of pretty appalling service, both our claims have been rejected on the grounds of 'Pre-existing medical condition', despite their being none - confirmed by doctor and consultant several times . The frustrating issue is that the insurers staff appear to be obstructive and refuse to accept reason. I now intend to make a formal complaint to the Regulatory Authority for redress and censure of the insurer.

I expect robustness from an insurance policy, one which will provide the best cover in the event of a major problem, coupled with the best service from the insurer. The Ski Club Insurance policy does not fall into this category and I advise any snowHead to avoid it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bernard Condon, Threaten themthat if they do not re-consider you will take it to the Insurance Ombudsman. I believe that any case investigated will cost the insurer, gulity or not. They may settle to save this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to hear about your bad experience Bernard Condon, does certainly not sound like good service. Insurance is the one thing you rely on to help you when you get stuck. If all they are doing is trying to wriggle out of paying up that is not good especially when it is the insurance provided by your Club itself. I assume you have put a formal complaint into the Club? Keep us informed of any progress.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bernard Condon, IMHO all insurance companies will do anything and try anything to get out of a claim in the hope that you will just give up at the 1st or second hurdle. I cancelled a holiday because my son caught chicken pox 4 days before departure he is 7. They tried to tell me we could still have taken the holiday and left one parent at home. Shocked Needless to say we got our money in the end. But it took a few too many letters for my liking.

Keep the pressure up its worth it. Then claim for compensation due to stress for a miss managed claim.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Russell, I have to say that when I had an accident in Livigno a couple of years ago, the trauma clinic 'phoned Nationwide to ask if they'd settle the bill directly. They would - I just had to pay the excess of €50.

When I got home four days after my accident the claim form was waiting for me, which I returned within a couple of days. About ten days after I returned I had a call from Nationwide to tell me that my claim had been settled and a cheque posted to me - was there anything else they could do for me in respect of my injury, such as recommend physios in my area or get me some advice on how to make recovery easier and faster. The cheque arrived the next day, claim settled in full without any trouble at all.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman, I am actually waiting for information on whether the offices of the Ombudsman are open to me. As I mentioned the Ski Club Insurance Policy is licensed by the Irish Financial Services Regulatory Authority, not the FSA which regulates all UK licensed insurers and has an Ombudsman.

Cathy Coins, I have made the Ski Club aware, but I really don't know how much influence they have on the underwriters claims policies.

hyweljenkins, Thats how I thought insurance policies worked!!!!!

I am contemplating using the British Mountaineering Council policy this season. Have any snowHeads had any experience of them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bernard Condon, we use Direct Travel, good cover and off-piste included, but as I haven't claimed I coudln't tell you what their like really. Underwritten by AXA.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I believe the BMC policy comes highly recommended, now that it at last covers on piste skiing as well as off wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use Fogg which cover off-piste but have not claimed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Three useful old threads for anyone wanting to look into insurance issues in more detail...

here - here and here.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I made a small claim to cover an X-ray of my badly brused (I thought it was broken it hurt so much) foot. Ski club insurance paid out (minus excess) but were very 'creative' with the exchange rate from Swiss francs to UKP. It was not worth arguing over the £30 difference but it makes me wonder what problems they would raise on a more serious incident.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bernard Condon, I looked at the British Mountaineering policy, The policy looks great but you have to be a member of an affiliated club or a member of the BMC which obviously cost money so it put the price up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, Bizarrely Ski Club Insurance and Direct Travel share the same underwriter AXA and a very, very similar policy. They also share 'Strategic Claims Management Ltd' who deal with any claims on their behalf. I am quite unsure what the entry qualification is to work with Strategic Claims Management, but i have some suspicions!!! Toofy Grin

In a strange twist of fate, I also insured with Direct Travel for many years until December 2004. I have never claimed from any travel insurer so don't know what their performance is like either. I was sold on the Ski Club recomendation and advertising, that theirs was the best policy available.

I may be wrong, but I fear that the outsourcing of claims management may have a great deal to do with very bad service and an obstructive nature against claimants. I for one in future will not insure with any company that outsources this aspect.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bernard Condon,
Quote:

Bizarrely Ski Club Insurance and Direct Travel share the same underwriter AXA and a very, very similar policy. They also share 'Strategic Claims Management Ltd' who deal with any claims on their behalf. I am quite unsure what the entry qualification is to work with Strategic Claims Management, but I have some suspicions!!!

I made a claim through Direct Travel which was processed by their loss adjuster, Strategic Claims Management, last January. It was badly managed from the outset. To get the money back due under my policy, I made a formal written complaint to AXA about the conduct of their contractor. I will be looking for another insurer this winter, and will be asking who they pass claim management to, before I purchase. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I often use the BMC to insure alpine climbing trips - whilst I haven't personally had to claim I have noticed a general confidence in them within the UK climbing community. They are not quite the cheapest but do seem to handle things in a professional manner.
snow report
Direct Travel are the ones I had all the problems with, I think. Name rings a bell. Bunch of theives in my opinion. I made my claim 2 years ago and I'm actually thinking of having another go at it as I was having a clear out the other day and found the file. Anyone know if my time limit has passed or does it depend on the insurer?
snow conditions
Following the links PG, put up, has made me feel all angry (again ) Evil or Very Mad Time to start researching policies for the coming winter!
snow report
I'm with Direct Travel rolling eyes Annual family Shocked Until middle of '06. Sad
Simple were also competitive but no scuba below 15m(!?)
For singles, TAG Direct in addition to the 2 above, but it sounds worth finding out who outsources claims management. I wonder if Which? has considered this point.
ski holidays
slikedges, Just been chatting about these issues over breakfast. Maybe we need a supplementary policy which will take on the insurer, on our behalf, should we need to claim. I know from my experience, that I felt poorly equipped to deal with Direct Travel/Strategic Claims Mgmt/AXA, last Jan, because I was in lots of pain, on bucket loads of pain killers..........
latest report
slikedges,
Quote:

I wonder if Which? has considered this point.

Any snowHead Which members?
snow report
I am. I'll find out and if they haven't considered it, I'll let them know.
snow report
I get "free" insurance with my credit card (NatWest Black) amongst other things, I supplement with annual Carre Neige. Works all very well, even for the CDW that got trashed misbehaving in the icy car park...
latest report
David Murdoch,

I do the same, I have Alli and Leic annual and supplement the skiing elements with Fogg which covers off-piste and heli - as long as you don't jump out the heli...!!!

For short Fench trips I may use Carte Neige on the lift ticket
ski holidays
Carre Niege (bought for the same number of days as the lift pass. I think under 3 Euros/day) or Carte Neige (a season ticket version of the same thing) are so cheap we'd all be foolish not to take the extra cover if sliding in France. Apart from anything else it will be instantly recognised by the blood wagon attendants for the 'get you off the mountain' phase which might make you thankful you have it.
latest report
Just been checking out the "Nationwide B.S." annual policy. Ski cover on the annual is not valid if your trip begins before 1 Dec, or ends after 31 March. So PSB and EOSB er's take note! wink
snow report
Last year I joined SCGB, in part for the insurance. I assumed that we were covered on this insurance for Helli Rescue etc. We had considered the Carte Niege but didn't think that this would be required and after reading snowbunny's story and I'm now thinking that perhaps I was foolish not to have done this. Confused
ski holidays
snowbunny, Hope you have recovered 100% and are now a Very Happy snowHead !! I remember your posts from earlier this year - sorry to have made you all angry again! Sad

I am definitely going to purchase Carte Neige for the season and find a good bolt-on policy to cover the remaining risks, such as Third Party liability, theft, medical expenses, etc, etc, (Carte Neige apparently does not and for snowHead using credit card travel policies it's worth checking that they provide cover for Third Party Liability)

I checked out the BMC policy some 6 months ago and will research that again as I have heard a few echoes of Scarpa, 's comment of 'General confidence' in them. Policies are only as good as the assistance given following a problem and i certainly sympathise with snowbunny, It's not easy to take on these personages of dubious parentage when injured and in pain. I probably consider myself lucky that mine was only a financial loss and a loss of confidence in the Ski Club policy.
snow report
Following on from the strategy of using Carte Neige, TOGETHER with an additional insurance policy;

Subject to checking this week, CARTE NEIGE principally covers;

Full cost of Search, Recovery & Transport to Hospital
Medical Costs €3,000
Repatriation - Full Cost
Criminal & Civil Proceedings €7,650
Lift Passes, Lessons, plus Lift Pass loss and theft
Equipment Hire for 8 days

What needs to be covered additionally/or for a higher value than Carte Neige?
Medical Expenses - £10 million
Personal Liability - £2 million
Personal Accident - £25,000
Personal Belongings/equipment - £1,500
Leagal Expenses - £25,000
Cancellation/Curtailment - £3,000
Avalanche Closure - £500
Piste Closure - £300

Does this list cover every important aspect or is there something missing?

These are suggested values - are the values adequate?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bernard Condon, check the level of cover for individual items (although £1,500 might be suffcient overall, there might be a lower level for individual items such as a pair of skis). Also check what would happen if skis are left unattended outside a restaurant.
latest report
Bernard Condon, Thanks for your kind thoughts. Not 100% yet I'm afraid, though it would not stop me skiing snowHead I am now looking at using my Direct Line Household Contents Policy, to cover personal belongings, then adding a Snowcard Option C package. Seems pricey, at £160 for a Annual Couple with 5 weeks skiing. But then, if I could avoid another January like 05, perhaps it will seem cheap!!
Anyone with Direct Line Household Contents Policy, will see that it does not cover skis "in use" - seems reasonable Laughing Also going to check out Dogtag Insurance, anyone used them?
snow report
Just looked at the Dogtag Policy offering. Appears to be like lots of Annual Policies, cover for general holidays and travel, and an add-on option for 17 or 24 days of skiing. Not much flexibility there. Plus, I remembered that this was the co. I asked for a quote a year ago. When declaring pre-existing medical, I told them I had undergone day patient foot surgery 6 months earlier-6 stitches-no complications. Their response was to refuse cover as "it might get an infection". (Quote). Absolute, and utter drivel, not a credible insurer. Shocked
ski holidays
Is £2 million Personal Liability cover adequate, on a worldwide snowsports policy?
snow report
Bernard Condon, unless you plan on going on a killing spree I'd have thought so, but some poloicies now go up to £5 million or more for US trips
ski holidays
D G Orf, If I can identify any 'Claims Management Executives', there may indeed be loss of life!

Its the US I was mainly concerned about - is £2 million an industry standard?

I have found a good, reputable broker that will quote for whatever cover I want, to form a policy.

I intend to purchase Carte Neige and hopefully an additional policy to include the following,

Full Off-Piste cover, Worldwide travel, Up to 90 days each trip:

Medical Expenses - £10 million
Hospital Benefit - £1,000
Personal Liability - £2 million
Personal Accident - £25,000
Personal Belongings, including ski equipment - £2,500
Leagal Expenses - £25,000
Cancellation/Curtailment - £3,000
Avalanche Closure - £500
Piste Closure - £300

Do snowHead 's think that I have covered all the important bits?

(I will post details when I obtain this quote.)
ski holidays
If you're going to the US and intend to hire a car you could get cover for collision damage waiver and supplementary liability insurance for car rentals.
latest report
Bernard Condon,

Don't know what other people think but I only use Carte Neige in France. I have a vision that it could be awkward outside of France. I don't know if this 'phobia' is valid..!!
ski holidays
Reading the thread I thought I would be ok with Direct Travel as have used them four times now but never claimed!
ski holidays
My first post so might as well make it a biggie…

YGWYPF applies here. There’s no way you should expect 50 or 60 quids worth of insurance (and 17.5% of that goes to the Govt in IPT) to adequately cover you for a whole year of travelling and 3-4 weeks skiing! Anyone paying that little has to expect a fight when the claim goes in. The only time you won’t face a prob is if you’re hospitalised and the insurance co agree to pick up the tab direct from the clinic.

Anyhow, re SCGB policies – I see a few probs here. First observation… their website does not comply with FSA regulations in my opinion – you’d need to have been close to the new regs that came in on 15th Jan to instantly see this. Anyhow, Bernard, I don’t know all the detail but you have two helpers at hand… the insurance ombudsman is one port of call and they do act fast and you will win the day if you have the right evidence. Then there’s the mighty FSA…
http://www.fsa.gov.uk/consumer/02_HOW/Complain/mn_complaint.html

It matters not that they are underwritten in Ireland because FSA regs are all about where policies are SOLD not where they are UNDERWRITTEN.

Their next prob… Skiers and snowboarders are many many times more likely to make a medical claim than “normal” holidaymakers. There is also more to go wrong in the kit and luggage dept. Underwriters really don’t enjoy ski business but rely on a healthy book of summer business to balance things up. The big prob for SCGB is that ALL their customers are skiing or boarding. It gets worse, many are knocking on a bit and the other major influence on the size of medical claims is age. Little wonder that the claims dept are doing all they can to keep down the pay outs.

As some have pointed out, most all of the insurers use the same handful of claims handling agencies and medical rescue companies and you’ll go mad trying to find out who uses who and how good they are. Regardless of the insurer, the claims handlers job is to minimise pay outs whilst remaining within the terms of the contract you entered into. (And, by the way, a contract you had 14 days to read and cancel if you wished to). The less premium the insurer has collected, the more pressure on the claims handlers to argue claims… simple really. Getting a good deal on insurance really isn’t the same as saving £100 on a pair of skis.

Things a very good buddy of mine learnt the hard way… (1) keep things like air tickets and itineraries as you’ll be asked to provide proof of travel – note… if you buy insurance AFTER you’ve travelled (ie you suddenly remember you’re uninsured when you reach the resort and buy online) you won’t get paid out EVER (2) get a written statement / report from police / reps / doctor and read the policy doc to see exactly what they require. Do it all absolutely by the book and you’ll win. (3) posessing an E111 (or whatever it’s called now) causes its own set of probs – without one you’ll get treated privately, with one you’ll be in the NHS equivalent. Depending on where you are this could be a blessing or a curse.

Also vital… you shouldn’t act like a dim wit. Insurance covers you for accidents NOT self-inflicted catastrophes waiting to happen. Leaving your brand new B2s outside a bar for a few hours only to find they go missing is not the insurers fault. Skiing into a tree after a heavy night and copious lunchtime libations isn’t the insurers fault either (or the tree’s). Venturing way off piste without the necessary skill, equipment AND training is what I’d call a safe each way bet for a claim too. Insurers often end up paying out on all these things as its often cheaper to do so rather than fight it. But, be warned, they don’t have to and their attitudes are hardening. YGWYPF !!
snow conditions
JohnHill, welcome to snowHeads. Your name seems familiar and warm.
I agree. You get what you pray for.

A cheque from the insurance company.
snow report
I have used the BMC annual policy for the past 6 seasons. Thankfully I have not had to make a claim, but two of my clients have and both claims were settled professionally, promptly and to their complete satisfaction.

First was a back injury during heli-boarding that required heli evacuation. My client needed extensive rehab and during this time could not complete training towards the CASI Level 2 snowboard instructor examination. Everything that was missed was reimbursed, to a value of UK£1,500.00

The second was frostbite to both big toes at a resort in Alberta. Finished my client's season and opportuntiy to train towards CSIA Level 2 ski instructor status. He also missed out on heli- and cat-skiing trips and the remainder of his season pass. Everything that was missed was reimbursed, to a value of UK£2,500.00 Once recovered he used that money to travel to Chile & Argentina six months later to get some summer turns in.

They're not the cheapest, but in my opinion the BMC are the best.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy