Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Two weeks based in Bourg S M at Xmas & New Year - good idea?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Looking for your advice. I'm considering taking me and my husband to the Alps for two weeks at Christmas and New Year. He's a two week beginner, I'm a black run improver. My plan was something like this:

* Take the Eurostar to Bourg St Maurice and stay in a modest hotel in town - Hotel Arolla, maybe - for two weeks
* Hire equipment from Polaire Star next to the funicular and use their lockers to store kit each night
* Get either two week full Paradiski pases OR get the Ski a la carte pass and pay by the day
* Get the funicular up to Les Arcs most days, spend a couple of days at nearby resorts that either have reciprocal days on the Paradiski pass or are part of the a la carte system, and spend some days not skiing
* Husband spends some days in ski school but perhaps not a full 6 days in a row - possibly the 4 day afternoon sessions that NewGen are running in Vallandry

Is this a good/bad idea? Anyone done something like this? Any ideas for improvement? Or any completely left-field suggestions?

Any specific advice about the ski passes, and the feasibility of using buses from Bourg to do day trips to e.g. Ste Foy, Tignes, etc?

I don't want to stay in a catered chalet for various reasons. I'm happy staying in Bourg - I've done it before and I think it's a decent compromise for price and also for having a holiday that's not totally resort-y. We like going by train and really don't fancy long haul flights.

I imagine we'll spend most time in Les Arcs. I've been before but in February (French half term but not British). Will Xmas and New Year be about the same level of busy?

I'm not going to ask 'will there be snow?' tho wink

Thanks if you're able to help!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sounds a good plan to me. Christmas will be quieter than French holidays, New Year probably about the same, IME.

For the OH, a four day session each week would be good. It's easy, otherwise, to kind of potter about not really improving, and that would be a good balance between lessons and time to practice.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A 2week lift pass may be cheaper than a la carte if you are going to ski most days. Tignes/Valis easy by bus (may be early start). Just check your timings to get to and from BSM to Vallandry for a relative beginner. There are also usually cheap tickets for St Foy on the back of Super U receipts (plenty in the carpark!!)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The last TO holiday I did was in a catered chalet in Courchevel 1650. The Kiwi couple who ran it were in their sixth season, knew the 3 Valleys really well and had the running of the chalet down to a fine art. We had lessons in the mornings so didn't go out with them, but the people who did had a great time, despite the snow over the whole area being pretty ropey.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If staying in Bourg, will it be a lot of pressure getting to ski school on time?

Your husband is several levels below you so your only chance of doing black runs is when he is in ski -school. So if he misses it your days is scuppered. Personally I would stay in resort, you get to ski to your hearts content while he at ski school, if you delayed getting back you have regular meeting pt at bottom of slope or meet him in regular restaurant- text him your order.

You won't enjoy going to Tignes with him, you would have to go on your own or someone similar level. So I would just pick one of the Arcs resorts and stick with that
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

will it be a lot of pressure getting to ski school on time?

not for afternoon sessions, which is what the OP suggested.

Quote:

You won't enjoy going to Tignes with him

that's a bit sweeping! Some good skiers are very happy to have a sociable time with someone less gnarly. I've had fun days in Tignes with my son, who is an infinitely better skier than I am (maybe that's why he ends up going everywhere backwards and/or on one ski?).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks! Nice to know I'm not the only one thinking of snow in July!

Pam w, I like your idea of sending him to school for part of both weeks. Sounds great for getting a good improvement without exhausting him. I'm certain he'll happily manage that long, flattish blue across to Vallandry (belvedere?) so getting to afternoon sessions will be easy. As Patrick suggests, it'd be a nightmare getting there for the morning!

Chocks - thanks for the bus info, and the great tip about Super U receipts for Ste Foy! Yes, I think the two week pass is best. OH thinks we won't ski enough, but I know what I'm like - I'll want to be out most days even if he isn't.

What I didn't say earlier is that I've done loads of (piste) skiing on my own. I started skiing with a friend who was much better than me, so I spent time pottering while she was exploring. Then I went a couple of time with OH where I was better, so I went exploring while he pottered. Then I went again with my friend, expecting to have reached the same standard, only to find I had overshot my target! Turns out I got a bit better than I'd realised Happy My best ever day skiing was with a group I found from SH (hi Andyman!) so I intend to rely on that route for finding ski buddies for the days where I want to ski a bit harder and want some company.

I think this plan is sounding doable. The previous time I went to Les Arcs was when I made the mental breakthrough of realising 'I can do this!' so it'll be great to go back. I've never been to Val, Tignes or Ste Foy and they're all on my todo list, so that's really exciting.

(I have promised myself I am not going back to the 3V AGAIN. Well. Not this trip anyway. Maybe March wink )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sounds like a great idea.
Have you thought of Hotel L'Autantic? A wee bit out of town, but if you are leaving the gear at the Polaire, the shlep isn't too great. ( they say 1200m to the trains station, so the funicular is less!)
We've stayed there when doing stuff in 1950 but in the off season when it's not open 'up top', and think it is good value.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maireadoconnor, The only thing I'd say is check Polaire Star closing time if you want to do any apres on the mountain, but not the end of the world if you to carry your gear back to the hotel.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Arctic for the hotel recommendation - I'll check it out.
Holidaylover that's a good point. In fact, the one thing that's bothering me is the question of lugging our gear around too much. But then, there are always taxis. A big reason for staying in Bourg is that taxis, restaurants, bars, shops etc aren't as offensively expensive as they are up the hill.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Xmas and New Year are the most atmospheric period of the European ski season.

Don't waste it by staying in a joyless town in the valley.

Head high and stay in Val d'Isere or similar.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Maireadoconnor, I have done loads of skiing on my own too. It is frenzied ski as many black slopes as possible while OH is in ski school and not be on late for lunch to avoid grief. But at your level you should think about falling in with esf class 4 while OH in his class. They will take you off-piste for amazing times and have you back at exact same time as your husband finishes. Again you'd need to be staying in resort (suggest either Tignes or Val d'Isere for this)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me. BsM appears to be an ideal spot, but I will be at the top of the funicular at Arc 1600. It you fancy someone to ski with then PM me.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi Maireadoconnor,

Bourg is a nice town and it's a great place to spend X-mas and New Year with markets etc - although I am biased as that's where I live!

I think that the plan sounds good and that you'll have a great holiday. The only thing that I would be worried about is the distance to/from ski school. Even having afternoon lessons it's quite a long ski for a 2-week-skiier to get there and back plus do a lesson.

Might be worth having a look at ESF or Spirit who operate out of Arc 1600.

Happy planning!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maireadoconnor wrote:
really don't fancy long haul flights.

Flights to the Alps are long haul? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
Maireadoconnor wrote:
Hi guys,

Looking for your advice. I'm considering taking me and my husband to the Alps for two weeks at Christmas and New Year. He's a two week beginner, I'm a black run improver. My plan was something like this:

* Take the Eurostar to Bourg St Maurice and stay in a modest hotel in town - Hotel Arolla, maybe - for two weeks
* Hire equipment from Polaire Star next to the funicular and use their lockers to store kit each night
* Get either two week full Paradiski pases OR get the Ski a la carte pass and pay by the day
* Get the funicular up to Les Arcs most days, spend a couple of days at nearby resorts that either have reciprocal days on the Paradiski pass or are part of the a la carte system, and spend some days not skiing
* Husband spends some days in ski school but perhaps not a full 6 days in a row - possibly the 4 day afternoon sessions that NewGen are running in Vallandry

Is this a good/bad idea? Anyone done something like this? Any ideas for improvement? Or any completely left-field suggestions?

Any specific advice about the ski passes, and the feasibility of using buses from Bourg to do day trips to e.g. Ste Foy, Tignes, etc?

I don't want to stay in a catered chalet for various reasons. I'm happy staying in Bourg - I've done it before and I think it's a decent compromise for price and also for having a holiday that's not totally resort-y. We like going by train and really don't fancy long haul flights.

I imagine we'll spend most time in Les Arcs. I've been before but in February (French half term but not British). Will Xmas and New Year be about the same level of busy?

I'm not going to ask 'will there be snow?' tho wink

We have done the past two christmas breaks in Paradiski - we have an apartment in Landry. Your plan makes good sense to me. The Arolla is nice,
Polaire are very well placed (and of course they are brits). There are a range of deals on the ski passes - Zen do a book of day tickets that are very good value. The slopes at Christmas are not at all busy, New Year seems to be the very busy time. And of course there is great skiing for you, and good ski schools for your partner. Also prices are better down in Borg that up the mountain. The funnicular works well - it did break down last christmas and that was a bit chaotic. iIf your partner does not want to ski every day there is also the chance to walk - the river path down to Aime is good (and pisted for cross-country if it has snowed in the valley). There is also the chance to snow-shoe too. PM if you want any more info - or some pics Happy
Thanks if you're able to help!
snow conditions
Maireadoconnor,
Sounds like you have got things pretty well thought out, only comment I would make is that you are thinking of having a couple of days off skiing. If you like spending them outdoors remember that at this tim of the year at the bottom of the valley you won't be getting a lot of sun and it may be a bit gloomy.
snow report
Did the same thing a few years back and recorded in this thread

Only take a car and you can have the entire 1600km skiing paradise from 3V to Val D'Isere, within a 40miles radius from BSM.
snow conditions
Thanks guys, that's loads of great advice!

@bobmcstuff yes yes I know, but I was pre-empting any 'hey you should go to Canada!' etc suggestions.

@snowandsunshine, I'm going to keep looking at ski school options. I'll get in touch with some people in 1600. OH doesn't want to commit to 6 x 9.30 starts in a row, so the standard ESF doesn't appeal. Sadly a set of private lessons is slightly beyond budget! He's pretty fit from gym work, so he might be alright getting to Vallandry. More research to do, I think.

@T bar I bet I end up skiing most days wink OH will bring some DVDs or something to keep himself entertained if he's having a rest day.

I would definitely like to meet up and ski with people if anyone's around then.
snow conditions
if you have a car could consider Hotel la petite auberge too on the edge of Bourg

Great little hotel run by Bex and Robin (english couple)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy