Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Virgin Active and Pre-season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Did a quick couple of searches and couldn't find anything on the forums so far.

I'm looking to join a gym/health club and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with any Virgin Active clubs? Having had a look around online, there is some generally positive feedback (and the usual moaning from people who didn't read the contract before they signed it).

I've done the 'cheap' gym before, and don't really want to go back to another - all well and good if you want cheap access to lots of machines, but I want the full package (classes, 'different' equipment, pool, racquet sports - as I'm now without tennis and squash partners after they've both left). Also, have to admit to being a bit of a sauna addict whenever I have access - such as last week, which is what has spurred me on to actually get my backside back into shape (time to start the pre-ski-season training...) Sadly, as I also spend some of the time in Gloucester, as opposed to my usual Plymouth, I ideally need somewhere with multiple gyms (and access to more than your 'home' gym), which VA ticks the boxes for.

So, having decided that they seem to offer what I'm after, I was just wondering if anyone could pass on experiences. Or, if you know of another suitable option that I might have missed, anything else I should be aware of.

Also, as an aside, anyone enjoy pilates? Something I'm looking at giving a go - seems to get some good press from top skiers and other athletes, and core strengthening is just what I'm after. Again, other options much appreciated. So what do others do for pre-season? I see the bike love-in is already in action in the apres-zone... NehNeh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been using VA for years (Holmes Place before they got bought by VA). My experiences are pretty positive - well run clubs. Do get busy at peak times (I work in Central London so YMMV); at weekends etc very nice and quiet. Kit is decent; generally clean and well maintained.

Quite pricey but you get what you pay for IMV.

Take a look around and make sure you understand what you are signing up for. Not sure what VA's policy is but a lot of people sign up for a year at gyms (gyms generally rather than VA specifically) and get all upset when they can't cancel after 6 months (edit - read your post properly and seems you are wise to that!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, thanks for your thoughts. Your generally positive assessment, plus what I'd read elsewhere means that I've just signed my life away... Visited the VA in Plymouth and was very impressed with the standard of (and amount of) equipment and facilities. The staff I met all seemed very friendly and helpful (as did the couple of members I spoke to). I was booked in for my induction, training plan session, and tennis 'assessment' by various staff members whilst I was still filling out the paperwork and reading the contract... Fingers crossed it's half as good as first impressions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon, IMHO the most important thing is the gym needs to be very close to your house, or on your way to/from work.....

I've been a David Lloyd member for years as they meet the above criteria Smile

When I first joined I drove past the site every day to/from work. Now with working from home I can run/cycle or car there within 20-40 mins....

given the competition I'd assume you can get a free trial? Try out the classes, see what you think of them. I got a bit bored 'going to the gym' so really only goto classes now....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers guys. Whilst the VA isn't especially close to my place in Plymouth it is just about the most accessible. Being central I have a couple of the budget gyms within a five minute walk/jog, however, as a non-driver, the VA's proximity to the hospital (and therefore all of its bus-stops) makes it a doddle to get to.

Have been a member for 11 days now and am very impressed so far. The Devonshire in Plymouth has an excellent set-up, at a high standard, and seemingly well maintained. The other members and staff are all very friendly. They offer free beginner tennis course for new racquets members, however, after a hit with one of the coaches they happily transferred my freebies to intermediate lessons. They also run something in the gym called 'on-track' (I think it's called) - which is essentially quarterly sessions with a trainer to keep track of any fitness goals you may have. New members also get a free personal training session - granted, this is essentially a sales pitch, but a welcome opportunity to get some tips gratis none-the-less.

Thus far, recommended. Though would suggest checking out the one you want to join. I've now used one of the Gloucester VAs, and it 'feels' quite different - though it still has an excellent gym, and the best steam room I think I have ever been in... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy