Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Announced to family I would pay for a chalet over xmas and now dont know where to book!?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

It's mine and my wife's turn to 'do' Christmas this year for family members and so I announced (when i was a bit drunk) to the gang of 7 I would pay for a chalet over the xmas week, they all seemed really happy about it! I have been snowboarding a couple of times to Morzine, my Dad has been skiing about 50 times and now is 81 but wants 1 final blast and the others are a mix with one 6 year old girl too. So that's 7 in total. I told them it would be catered too and Mum and Dad want a short transfer of less than 2 hours. I have absolutely no idea where to start as never organized a holiday before, I though it would cost about £3k but I looked on one website and prices were £5-6K and all chalets not available anymore in the xmas week! I guess this price is ok if its somewhere everyone will really enjoy.

Can anyone give me some pointers to get started please? Very much appreciated, Tom
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nosewalker381, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead

I think that's a very generous offer you made there! wink Laughing

I'm sure other people will be on here with suggestions, but although I've never stayed there I know several Snowheads have enjoyed their stay at fellow Snowhead flangesax's catered ski chalet Haus Susanne in Radstadt in the Austrian Ski Amade area.

I believe he may even do a discount for Snowheads, but check on that. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alastair Pink, I was going to suggest that as well. I stay there regularly and nosewalker381's family will have a ball. The Christmas and New Year period is always fully catered and there is always plenty to eat and drink.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, Snow reliable that time of year?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cynic, As our season ski passes start in the in November, it is a pretty good bet don't you think? rolling eyes We actually had a reasonably good start to the season last year unlike certain areas more to the west. I think Schladming (just down the road from Radstadt was open from October right through to the end of April! The Radstadt area opened fully as planned on the third weekend of December last season.

I've been skiing in this area since the 1980s and have never had a postponed start to the season in that it does not open due to lack of snow. What they can't catch out of the sky they make these days any way! Cool
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's not a lot of catered chalets that small - the issue is that catering requires two people really, and unless it is very expensive, covering that number is not easy. Sadly the smallest chalets seem to sell pretty quick, I had a couple of suggestions which appear to be sold out already for Xmas week.

For Xmas week it is always expensive. But then it it Xmas you are organising, plus you will get a proper Xmas meal cooked for you (so nobody misses out on everything going on in the kitchen) and snow tends to be fairly reliable in most resorts by that week.

To make double sure you get snow, aim high - catered chalets are most common in France, the highest resorts in France are Tignes/Val D'Isere and Val Thorens. Both are good for almost anyone of any ability really.

You can realistically expect £600 minimum per head for flight, transfer, chalet (inc breakfast, afternoon tea and dinner with free wine) and I think you'd be doing well to get a small chalet at that.

Good place to start your search http://www.igluski.com/christmas-skiing/catered

A load of people will come along and suggest you try and organise this whole thing in separate parts - flights, transfers, accommodation, you name it. Avoid doing this if you've not organised ski trips before - recipe for so much complication (and potential problems not travelling with a TO) that you don't need on a family holiday over Xmas.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you posted your requirements on the chaletsdirect forum?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

A load of people will come along and suggest you try and organise this whole thing in separate parts - flights, transfers, accommodation, you name it. Avoid doing this if you've not organised ski trips before - recipe for so much complication (and potential problems not travelling with a TO) that you don't need on a family holiday over Xmas.

Really?...

Considering most Indies will organise transfers (or include them in the price) is it really that hard to book a flight?
Plus you also benefit from personal experience and relationships with shops, ski schools and equipment hire.
Plus the week can be completely adapted and almost created to fit in exactly with your group's requirements (as we are not tied down to any restrictions other than those we set ourselves).
Plus you befit from bonafide local knowledge rather than a TO's rep that has been in resort for a week longer than you!

Monium, this has upset me a bit as it is such a sweeping generalisation and also assumption that all people that haven't ever organised a ski trip are numpties and can't possible manage it themselves due to their stupidity. The post started all going wrong as soon as the "To make double sure you get snow, aim high" bit dribbled out of the keyboard.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nosewalker381, follow the link in my sig if you fancy a quote... I think I can get this in budget for you too!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's easy to organise independently, especially with local help from a chalet owner who wants to make sure everything runs smoothly for you.

I'd also say, though, that you will close down your options if you want a whole chalet for nobody except your party. For the 7 year old, in particular, having some other families with kids round could add a lot to the holiday.
Quote:

my Dad has been skiing about 50 times and now is 81 but wants 1 final blast

that's a bit pessimistic.... wink

As for snow, no it's not guaranteed at Christmas. Or any other time, come to that, but it's a great time to be away from the UK. I wouldn't go high with that kind of party - somewhere with a more village-ey atmosphere and with more shelter from the dark, cold, weather that's often around at Christmas time has a lot to say for it. As long as you can get a lift up to the snow there's no need to spend Nights on the Bare Mountain.

I would go for an independent chalet over a Tour Op, if you can. You already have a good Austrian suggestion. One French one would be La Tania, with easy access up to Courchevel. There are a number of chalets there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nosewalker381, speak to stevo and iona at the Whiteroom chalet: http://www.whiteroomchalet.com/winintro.htm

I'd highly recommend them and they'd be my first stop if I was looking for something similar.

Sainte Foy is one of my favourite places to ski in Europe and days out can be had to La Rosiere, La Plagne, and Tignes/ValD if that interests you.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See what I mean?

flangesax, apologies, this isn't personal, it is just that someone organising their first ever ski trip has enough things to sort out on top of co-ordinating several different elements involved in organising a trip. I've organised quite a number of group ski trips now, and despite being very organised, everyone involved being very sensible, patient and following instructions, it never fails to amaze me quite how stressful it can be at times just getting X number of people on a plane at the right time from the right airport with the right number of bags, and it is a great relief knowing that once they get on the plane the TO pretty much handles everything from there. It costs a small premium to do it that way, but it is the only way I'd organise a trip on which I am paying my own way - let alone paying for the whole thing! I don't mean to offend, and if you can work with the OP then there is a good chance they'll have a great time. But my post is merely to point out the potential pitfalls in doing so and why I don't do it that way.

All your positive points are true, and I don't doubt that you will make it significantly easier than dealing with many other operators. But you do a disservice to many of the package TOs who go out of their way to provide experienced guides, have longstanding relationships with shops and other businesses in resort, and go out of their way to be as flexible as possible. They exist, and are successful businesses as a result. But I accept that you aren't likely to find a Xmas week trip with them for £600 ppn.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Monium,
If it was a disparate group I think you may have a point but seven people all from the same family shouldn't need Deep Thought to be capable of organising them. I have organised several multigenerational family trips on a DIY basis without any problems.
If I'm honest the tour operators habit of getting people up at 4am ''to make sure they get the plane'' is more stressful than anything I have done DIY.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I have organised several multigenerational family trips on a DIY basis without any problems.

So have I, and also a trip to a self-catering chalet in Les Gets with family and friends, three cars hired from the French side of Geneva airport and flight with easyJet. One night catering for each of the 6 bedrooms, and a final evening out in a restaurant. And that was before the days of the internet, too. Actually had to use the phone and talk to people. Oh the stress!!!

Youngest was 8, oldest was my mother, who was partly disabled, using a rollator to get around.

The OP has been on ski holidays before - I'd agree that your first ski holiday is perhaps best left to a TO and that organising a bunch of disorganised students or drinking mates might be a bit of a mission, but in this case, it's hardly going to need organising and management capability of the first order.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There are merits to both TOs and going independently - however if you're going independently and want a full catered chalet (rather than hotel) you limit your options a bit and there is no getting over the fact that booking independent flights to fit in with "standard" availability at an indpendent chalet is not going to be particularly cheap for Xmas week given current lead time. For this reason and to avoid hassle I might consider a TO in the OP's circumstances. This is no criticism of the excellent independent chalets out there.

I've not been with a TO for years but took a late trip this year and was very impressed by the utility.
snow conditions
Personally, I'd probably organise such a trip on a self-catering basis, provided the party members were sufficiently competent that the burden didn't fall on one person. These days, I'd probably also drive, having planned a menu beforehand and delegated some of the preparation! The cheapest flights for Christmas are obviously long gone. However, there should be heaps of choices of nice self-catering places (you wouldn't want to be crammed into a small apartment with one loo and bathroom) because French accommodation will often not even be geared up for the 2012/13 season yet (the fixation with booking holidays half a lifetime in advance seems to be very British).

For example http://www.montagnettes.com - some very nice apartments, no "planning" on their website yet.

In France, at any rate, whether you are looking at an apartment, catered chalet or hotel, you'll struggle to find much other than the standard availability anyway, though there are honorable exceptions.

Going to "self catering" accommodation doesn't have to mean slaving over a hot stove all the time - there are plenty of restaurants even in small resorts! Though with a family party I prefer doing your own thing. I realise that's not for everybody though and some people enjoy having food put in front of them on holiday.

The one thing I'd never do is go to a hotel with a family group ranging from 7 - 81. The opposite of cosy and you can't sit around in your thermals except in your bedroom. wink

The price differential between TO and DIY is particularly useful for a peak holiday period like Christmas (not least because it's not necessarily very "peak" at all, in much of Europe, compared to New Year). The fact that flangesax might be able to offer catered accommodation within the OP's tight budget is testimony to the advantages of looking beyond the TOs.
snow conditions
nosewalker381, Have a look at the website below. Although not fully catered Nina could cook for say 3 nights and we can organise other meals for the rest of your stay, Pizza night, couple of evenings in restaurants or other food joints locally. Or can have them delivered. We do a christmas dinner on 25th.
Available up to night of 28th December. Our new Year guests arrive on the 29th for their week.
latest report
Just want to thank everyone for your comments and advice so far, I am in the process of follow up on everything and will let you know how it goes!
ski holidays
Quote:

Monium, this has upset me a bit as it is such a sweeping generalisation

as is this

Quote:

TO's rep that has been in resort for a week longer than you!

Ive almost come a cropper twice with DIY - over transfers. First time that crazy snow at Christmas a couple of years ago - flight times getting changed, cancelled, diverted - amazingly Snowjet paid for an alternative transfer for us (the third we had booked due to the changes lol)...I dont think many Airlines would have done the same. Second - cocked up our own transfer time back to Chambery airport and would have missed our plane but the plane was late too so we got on by the skin of our teeth. Ive never, DIY, had a transfer arranged for me. So I do like that no matter what, with the TO, that the responsibility is on them regarding flight times and transfers. If I was organising a trip with my Mum and Dad I would take the TO option as they would be a total nightmare - they can't cope with the unexpected!!!! But maybe the OP's Dad is cool as a cucumber. Just trying to give my thoughts as applicable to my family.

Other than that though...DIY all the way!!!!!! Crystal/First Choice made an expensive mistake losing me as a customer.

nosewalker381, welcome to SH, lI think the SH, between them will help you find the perfect hol. Good luck.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, too true... Embarassed I suppose if you arrive at Easter then they have been there a bit longer!

I'm sure there are some TO's out there with reps and ski buddies with 6 season's worth of experience of the local areas.
ski holidays
flangesax, ...but they are few and far between Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy