Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old paper driving licence

Poster: A snowHead
This has absolutely nothing to do with snow but I am sure someone on here will know the answer. I am off to the Dolomites for my summer hols in a few weeks time and I am renting a car from Venice, I only have an old type paper licence will this be OK for renting a car or do I need a photo ID type. Its been a few years since I rented a car abroad and I have heard conflicting views.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kel, I was refused a hire car because I only had my photo ID license. Apparently the paper bit is the "valid" license and the photo ID one is just physical photographic proof you have passed your test.

I now only use my paper license as my photo ID one has run out, and never had a problem since I started using it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bizarrely at GVA this week they only wanted the photocard not the paper bit but insisted on seeing my passport so all I can say is best of luck!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Samerberg Sue, On Money Saving Expert they are saying you could be fined up to £1000 if you dont renew your photo licence, apparently they should be renewed every ten years.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GVA this week I only had the photo card, and no issues...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kel, I had to replace mine a few years ago to drive in Italy (and that was my own car not hired), not sure where I read it but you need a photo one there.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 29-06-12 18:09; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It may be worth upgrading to the new driving license with two parts. I carried on using my old style license in France until I was stopped by the gendarmes. They were not too impressed by the moth eaten piece of paper which partly disintegrated when they unfolded it. They did however fully accept it. Since I changed though Hertz have always asked for both parts of the new style.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If people with only the photocard are getting away with it, then they're lucky - because only the paper bit shows endorsements/penalties. I don't think you'd get away with it in Britain. I was refused a pre-booked (and paid for) car in Glasgow last November because despite having both parts of my licence I hadn't taken my passport (I was only flying to Scotland.....) and they wouldn't accept any other ID, even though I had the credit card I'd used for the online payment. It was my own fault really - the requirement to take the passport was buried in four pages of small print!

Once again, one learns from Snowheads - it is indeed illegal NOT to renew your photocard licence! I must check mine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well thanks all I have just applied online, makes sense really. What does not make sense however is that the photo ID card needs to be renewed every 10 years for a true likeness of the photo. The bit below was copied from the application process, I agreed that the DVLA could retrieve and use my passport photo, a photo that is 9 years old The bureaucracy of it

This As the DVLA now only issue photocard licences, you'll need a photograph for use on your driving licence. To avoid the need for you to send us a photograph and completion form by post, you can choose to allow us to attempt to retrieve your passport photo and signature from the Identity and Passport Service for use on your driving licence. You will be notified at the end of this transaction if this has been possible.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
larry1950, As I'm not obliged to carry it they would be hard-pressed to do anything. I checked with the DLVC or whatever they are called and it is the paper section that is valid until your 70th birthday that is the relevant piece of paper. So when that day arrives I'll swop to a German one as I am based here. Slightly different here where your license does not have to be renewed every 10 years as a means of making money!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not sure if this helps but for test ride purposes we need both parts of the new type license (i.e. photocard and paper) but the old style paper licenses are still currently valid as well. This is to satisfy our insurers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, Never had a problem (yet) renting using my old style paper only license. Due to pick up a hire car in Crete on Tuesday and don't expect any issues.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In genral, i would recommend having both a photcard and the paper licence. You don't want to run the risk of not being able to get the hire care as that will sil the trip.

As an aside and related to the "card is to ensure its the latest photo bit"i renewed my passport a few years ago and had it validad at the post office, the girl on the desk said ( and she was correct) that my photo appeared to be a bit younger than i was, i said yes, she said the office may reject it, i saif how will they know, she said they wont. She approved and i now have a passport photo of me about 10 years younger than i am actually was at the time and have never had an issue at border control, either in or out including the US of A......

makes you wonder sometimes why we or they bother...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I was at Glasgow airport last year; the person in front only had thier photo license. The rental company said they could phone somewhere for verification of the license status on payment of an extra fee. He paid, they called, he got the car - not the way to start the weekend break!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Simples your 'driving licence' is in two parts. A paper one and a plastic one.
End of, as they say in TV land.
PS. The one with the nice red covers is no longer valid Toofy Grin
snow report
boredsurfin, Now yes, but mine is the old type paper only. Applied for photo ID type now anyway.
snow conditions
Kel, I've been through exactly the same procedure as you, finally getting around to apply for a photo licence earlier this week. Sounds like you don't have a biometric passport either, so they may not be able to grab the photo from there (I'm also in that position).
snow conditions
Quote:

I was at Glasgow airport last year; the person in front only had thier photo license. The rental company said they could phone somewhere for verification of the license status on payment of an extra fee. He paid, they called, he got the car - not the way to start the weekend break!

yes, the DVLA will confirm the licence, on payment of a fee. That wasn't my problem though - I had both parts, but hadn't taken my passport on a trip to Scotland. No passport, no car. They were immoveable (even though I had the credit card I'd paid with online). Avis, next desk, were willing to take my money though. I wasn't happy!
ski holidays
In Germany I only had to provide my plastic photo id for the hire car. was pre booked on the web, msybe they validate the licence seperately if you book online :~
latest report
Ray Zorro,

Yes they could retrieve the photo and signature from my passport, simple online process that took 10 minutes, just never got round to doing it before.

The bureaucracy I referred to above is that a photo ID licence needs to be updated every 10 years, the reason for this is so the photo a true likeness. The photo they have retrieved from my passport is 9 years old. Laughing
snow report
the car hires' "frequent flyer" schemes are useful in that you can log you license number to your online account, then only have to show the photo-jobby at pickup (and this is really only to confirm ID). Certainly AVIS do this (although I generally still carry the other chitty part when I'm travelling

DVLA are robbers - you passed your test, you're licensed to drive, with the old license or new - fair enough forcing upgrade at expiry, but until then you're fine.
I moved from Ireland to UK 10 years ago, should've given up my Irish license after 3 years and bought a UK License according to DVLA, but I waited until my Irish license expired before i would do it. Last time I looked this is still the EU. Fannies
snow report
Old paper licence was OK when I got a rental car in Rome recently.

I'm still on a UK old paper one, although I'm tempted to swap it for photocard licence (UK or DE, doesn't really matter).

Slovenia is one of the countries in EU where photocard required. I think there might be others.
snow conditions
Quote:

Slightly different here where your license does not have to be renewed every 10 years as a means of making money!

And the paper copy is not endorsed either, in Germany. Endorsements are held on a computer, for anyone and everyone, German licence or otherwise. Rent a car anywhere, and they can't see any naughty driving behaviour Smile
ski holidays
My photocard was free, the DVLA replaced my old paper one with it when I moved house.
latest report
boredsurfin wrote:
Simples your 'driving licence' is in two parts. A paper one and a plastic one.
End of, as they say in TV land.

Yeah but it's a completely braindead system - given that SIM card technology has been around for years, why don't they embed sim type technology into the photocard and do away with the separate bit of paper. Charge the hire car companies for a reader, and give em free to plod.

Get 3 more points then all you have to do is take the card to the cop shop, pay the fine and he can top them up there and then - no need to send away. Then when Joy Rider is stopped by the cops on camera they swipe the card throught the portable version and go "I'm sorry you're on 14 points already, you're nicked'

Easy peasy.. unless you're UK gov plc..
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
larry1950, As I'm not obliged to carry it they would be hard-pressed to do anything. I checked with the DLVC or whatever they are called and it is the paper section that is valid until your 70th birthday that is the relevant piece of paper. So when that day arrives I'll swop to a German one as I am based here. Slightly different here where your license does not have to be renewed every 10 years as a means of making money!
When did you move to Germany? When I moved to Munich in 85 I had one year to change over to a German license, otherwise I would have had to re-sit the test
ski holidays
I still have and using my green colour paper Driving Licence. No problem whatsoever with renting vehicles in USA, Switzerland, France, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. If they ask for photo ID, there is a photo in your passport.
latest report
Steilhang, All changed, I have been to the German offices several times to check up and spoken to DLVA as well as the German police. I suppose it all changed with the acceptance of each other's passports, etc. I've been here since 1998 which is post Schengen.

I will have to change on my 70th though, but probably by then I will also have a German passport and ID card as well as I'm fooked if I'm going to jump through the increasingly expensive and ridiculous hoops set by the American paranoia to renew my passport. Way cheaper to become a German citizen and get my all documents renewed around the corner at the Gemeinderat for a few Euros.

Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang, driving licenses are all EU licenses now, i.e. valid all over the various member states. We can accept any EU license for test ride or bike hire purposes, we get loads of Polish licenses for example.

Samerberg Sue, a German license sounds a good idea hun. They are bound to be more efficient than the DVLA... Laughing
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue, yes I'm thinking about the German nationality thing as well. I'm beginnng to run out of Brits who can attest that I am indeed who I claim to be!
ski holidays
Crusader wrote:
I still have and using my green colour paper Driving Licence. No problem whatsoever with renting vehicles in USA, Switzerland, France, Iceland, Australia, New Zealand and Japan. If they ask for photo ID, there is a photo in your passport.
Good. It's never occurred to me that mine might lose its validity.
latest report
Tempted to swap the licence, but that's only to get the photo card which 1-2 countries do require. Heard something about a new common format EU licence from next yr, so might wait. I think it's as easy a s a trip to the town hall, with enough bits of paper?

Changing nationality is bit more than I'd like to do. One colleague did it (he was Indian then British then German), but I think that was to aid the legal fight to register his son's name in the Indian fashion. We have enough Brits at work to countersign my passport renewal. Not sure how it'll be in 2017? Britischebotschaft in Düsseldorf is one of the few that will remain processing overseas passports for a while longer afaik.
snow report
Steilhang, for my last passport renewal I used a German friend who is also the director of her own business and it was accepted. I only have about 3 friends who are British and living here in Germany.

Düsseldorf is going to be the only renewal centre for central Europe and if they increase the requirements for biometrics, then we will have to travel to the centre as that is where the machines will be. I enquired about the changes at the Consulate in Lehel recently and they told me of the future set up.

My decision will need to be made sometime in 2016 when my current passport runs out. I'm still not sure what if any benefits remain for me as a British citizen living outside the UK.
snow report
andy, it's not an easy decision, but may be easier for me than for you. I have only ever spent a few years living in the UK. Grew up in Austria and in the Schwarzwald. Moved over to Glasgow when I was 17, and then moved to Munich when I was 25... So I don't really have many ties to the old country.
snow conditions
Always had my old paper only UK licence accepted by car hire companies throughout Europe and elsewhere in the world. The only time it's raised an eyebrow was when I was stopped by the Austrian police for speeding and the policeman hardly believed me when I told him that the photo-less old style licences were still good money in the UK. Once I'd paid the 30 Euros fine he didn't seem bothered though.
snow conditions
Quote:

PS. The one with the nice red covers is no longer valid

Do you still need the Italian translation or can I throw that away as well?
snow report
Kel wrote:
Well thanks all I have just applied online, makes sense really. What does not make sense however is that the photo ID card needs to be renewed every 10 years for a true likeness of the photo. The bit below was copied from the application process, I agreed that the DVLA could retrieve and use my passport photo, a photo that is 9 years old The bureaucracy of it

Hmm I just renewed my photo card online as it'd run out. I'm sure it said it would only retrieve your passport photo if your passport was less than 5 years old for that very reason. TBH it was a right palavar even doing it online. You needed both parts of your driving license, your NI number and your passport number to hand. You also had to be super accurate. For ages it wouldn't accept my driving license number and I couldn't figure out why until I realised I hadn't put my middle name on the online form rolling eyes

To be fair to the DVLA though the new card came through in a couple of days. Oh hold on they stung me for £20 for that!
snow conditions
dbaskls wrote:
Kel wrote:

Hmm I just renewed my photo card online as it'd run out. I'm sure it said it would only retrieve your passport photo if your passport was less than 5 years old for that very reason. TBH it was a right palavar even doing it online. You needed both parts of your driving license, your NI number and your passport number to hand. You also had to be super accurate. For ages it wouldn't accept my driving license number and I couldn't figure out why until I realised I hadn't put my middle name on the online form rolling eyes

To be fair to the DVLA though the new card came through in a couple of days. Oh hold on they stung me for £20 for that!

Hmm, I think I know how old my passport is.

Copied from direct gov page below, nothing on the criteria about the passport being less than 5 year old.

United Kingdom (UK) digital passports

If you hold a digital passport (the photograph and signature appear on the same page), DVLA can confirm your identity with the Identity and Passport Service. You don’t have to send your passport to DVLA.

When applying online you’ll be asked to provide your nine digit passport number allowing DVLA to confirm your identity.

http://m.direct.gov.uk/syndicationController?action=view&st=0&utn=50b13e19568b40718bc9201207022223&param=DG_4022091
latest report
Kel, Sorry if you thought I was doubting your counting prowess! I just double checked the letter and it said five years! I suggest typical government agency having bottom and elbow issues!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy