Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot Fitting Question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The issue I'm having with my ski boots is my 3 toes from the little toe inwards on both feet are falling asleep and going numb normally after about 30 mins of skiing. I've been back to the ski shop where I purchased them from, they have re heated them a couple of times now with numerous toe boxes and bits of foam to push the liner out slightly, I've also had some custom footbeds fitted. This has worked for a couple of other issues I had but not in regards the numbness. The numbness generally comes from the two top catches being done up (I think), I don't have them extremely tight but as soon as my foot is going numb I can undo these two catches and the feeling comes back so I'm wondering if this is something to do with either the tongue of the liner or there must be a pressure point somewhere around the two catches. When my boots are off I have no red marks or tender parts on my foot where this could be happening. The ski shop I've been too aren't too sure where to go from here and are at a loss with the issue.

I'm looking at finding another boot fitter but before I do I'd really appreciate people's advice or thoughts on what can be done or if this can be fixed or should i just put up with it.

Any thoughts or advice would be great

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Profeet Fulham Road 0207 7360046 ask for Hamish 50 yards from tube station.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Cynic for your reply, unfortunately that's quite a distance for me, i have an idea of who i'm going to see just wondered if i could have anyone's views or advice on this type of problem, just so i have an idea if this can be fixed and if anyone has had this fixed would be great to have an idea of how so i know the route the boot fitter will go down and also so i can have them sorted as soon as possible as i ski between 6-8 hrs a week at the moment and that's going to increase
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowy23, the problem is that the numbness could be caused by a whole host of either biomechanical issues &/or a boot fit problem - & it could be a combination of problems. Should be fixable though. Where are you located?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks spyderjon, sounds like a few more things to think about. Glad u think it should be fixable. We're south of Manchester
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowy23, Colin (our very own CEM) at Solutions4Feet or Graham at Rivington Alpine.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Graham at Rivington Alpine is very good, he fitted boots for oh and they've been perfect.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
could be either a lack of flexion at your ankle joint (tight calf muscle) ehich is loading the ball of the foot and sending the toes numb, or a pressure on top of the foot from the tongue, a tight calf muscle could also cause the heel to lift a little which may push the instep into the top of the boot causing the restricted blood flow

should be fixable, could require a bit of stretching if it is the calf muscle and a bit of boot adjustment
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another shout for Graham at Rivington Alpine, had my boots off him at his old shop and been great for 5yrs worth of use. Other half and two daughters both all fitted and have had no problems. I've had issues with numb toes in the past and getting the right shaped boot to relieve pressure over the top of my foot sorted it right out, one of the girls pronates really badly as well but she got sorted without much problem.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another shout for Graham at Rivington Alpine, had my boots off him at his old shop and been great for 5yrs worth of use. Other half and two daughters both all fitted and have had no problems. I've had issues with numb toes in the past and getting the right shaped boot to relieve pressure over the top of my foot sorted it right out, one of the girls pronates really badly as well but she got sorted without much problem.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowy23, Agreed that this may well be a boot fit issue, but what level are you skiing at and what is your skiing background and history?

just a question you may want to ask yourself.

What are your toes doing inside your boots as you ski?

There is a good chance that your toe numbness is related to poor posture/lack of flex and a tendency to 'grip' with your toes on the bottom of the boot when you get nervous. This will be worse if you have been given a 'comfort' fit boot and your heel is lifting as CEM mentioned.

However without seing you ski or knowing your level it would be difficult to say for sure.

if you stand on a flat area with your skis on where you you feel the weight balance on your foot? is it on the forefoot, the heel or balanced over your whole foot? can you feel this balance point move as you ski? if so where does it move to? The best way to do this is to close your eyes as it immediately makes the senstaion much more focused.

What do your feet feel like in the boots are they 'soft' and relaxed or are they tense?

How tight are your buckles on the boot (are you on the last ratchet when you tighten them up?

What type of socks do you wear and how many pairs?

P.S. Graham at Rivington Alpine would be your closest, highly reccomended and very good.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy