Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salla Ronda April 1-5, 2013?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm considering a visit to the Sella Ronda with my son next year. Timing is dependent on his school break, so dates are not flexible. We'll be coming from the United States and booking well in advance. We won't have the option of waiting to see what the conditions are like.

In an average year, is there usually enough good snow left in this region to justify a trip for the first week of April 2013? We don't necessarily need to find every piste open; but we wouldn't want to travel all that way if there is a significant risk that a lot of the better ones are closed or in only barely skiable condition.

We are strong intermediate skiers, generally more interested in seeing as much as possible, rather than skiing the most extreme terrain. An easy or medium-difficulty piste with terrific scenery is usually of more interest to us than a technical or daredevil challenge.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
oakapple, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead

Someone who knows the area better than I, should be along soon, but in the meantime you may find this link useful http://www.sella-ronda.info/eng/index.html - plus, a quick search at the history for last season shows that Arabba, for example, had decent snow levels in the first two weeks of April (80cm + upper slopes, 30 cm lower), with a sharp drop in the 3rd week. Last season was pretty good everywhere, however........

You'd be certain of terrific scenery though!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
oakapple, Welcome, have a look at this thread on the Dolomites, which starts in January and ends in April this year with pics of conditions. Not great this year, but they made the very most of what they got. The beauty of the area is the mileage and cruising, which despite the excellent piste bashing can be made difficult by a lack of snow. First week in April in that area could be a risk, but..........................The scenery is amazing and you may be lucky, it's worth a punt in my opinion.

We were there in January this year and whereas the rest of Europe got loads of snow the dolomites were pretty starved in comparison. But that was this year.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84633
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
oakapple,
I went first week in April this year banking on good conditions, it was fairly poor , with half the area closed due to no snow. Still it hasn't stopped me booking for early next year. If you have never been you must try it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oakapple,

Best bet to be open and to be able to get to other places would be Arabba, at least it was this year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mfamily2 wrote:
We were there in January this year and whereas the rest of Europe got loads of snow the dolomites were pretty starved in comparison. But that was this year.

Here's a few photos from March 24th this year - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=84633&start=106 but this was quite a bad season for snow, and they kept most of the resorts open until about 9th april.

Kel wrote:
oakapple, Best bet to be open and to be able to get to other places would be Arabba, at least it was this year.

Seems like that's quite a good shout! I'll know more post S9BB
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ironically they had quite a lot of snow after they had shut for the season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've gone ahead and booked Arabba from 30 March to 6 April, and we'll cross our fingers for snow.

Are the Dolomiti SuperSki pass and ski rentals best booked in advance, or best purchased on arrival? If advance booking is better, from what site would you recommend doing so?

Thank you again.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depends on whether you have booked your trip independantly or with a tour operator. If booked independantly then you may as well wait till you get to the resort to get your ski pass. I can't think of any advantage of booking early.

If booked with a tour op like Nielsens then maye be worth pre booking the passes with them. Last time I went with Nielsens they supplied the full Dolomiti ski pass for around £20 less than it would have cost in resort.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dsoutar wrote:
Ironically they had quite a lot of snow after they had shut for the season.
Yes, it was a weird year. When I went in the summer they still had enough snow for a few people to have been skiing high up.
They sometimes don't have snow when most of the Alps does, but on the other hand I have experienced a huge dump when I was there last so the road was blocked for a day.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy