Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes - Chalet Girl Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Have a friend who has been offered a job with Ski World in resort as a chalet girl. Has anyone any experience of doing such work in this resort or for this company. Friend know of natives.co.uk but has asked me to ask you lot.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Frosty,
Skiworld considered one of the better companies to work for. Tell her that until after New Year not to expect too much time on the hill - the holidays are busy, and she will have not got into a routine. Once she gets a routine sorted out, time on the hill will increase.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, forgot. Tell her of the Natives/Fatface night at Castleford on Nov 5th.
http://www.natives.co.uk/nightski/index.htm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Skiworld considered one of the better companies

Kenzie, thats nice to hear, just booked with them to go to Chalet Hotel Crets in Les 2 Alpes in April. Are they good to holiday with as well as work for Puzzled I hadn't heard of them before a friend asked us to join their group Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I couldn't comment on what they are like from the guest point of view, as I've never been on holiday with them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Nicholas, we went with Ski World a few years back to Les Arcs. We had a bit of an unfortunate experience which I am sure is not typical. It was during Easter so end of the season - the experienced chalet boy left the weekend we arrived for various reasons, as it was the end of the season it must have been hard getting a replacement and they flew out a lad who it seemed was still at Uni, had never cooked before, had no idea about hosting anything and generally behaved as if he were a student out to have a good time. His training had been minimal. He didn't last long before they gave him the heave-ho - but then they should never have hired him in the first place. Give SkiWorld their due - they got in one of their experienced chalet girls from one of the other Arcs to look after us and she was great. Shame they didn't do that in the first place.

That aside, I think generally they have quite a good reputation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have always had good times with Skiworld (with the exception of testing a new couple of chalet girls for the first week one season - late for brekkie on transfer day, tsk tsk). Always helped getting the hols for free though...

Be nice to all the punters is what I say as some of them may be there on the companies cash!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Shocked when I read the title of the thread, and noticed your name as the author Razz
Read it now and realised its all innocent.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've been on a few Ski World holidays, and I'm a fan.

However, I would say that there isn't much difference between their 3, 4 and 5 star equivalent accomodation to warrent the price difference to be honest. The food changes, but I would say that the offering of towels and change in food in the upper range isn't worth the money.

I would definitely recommend the company. They are worth using, especially if you get a last minute deal, but don't waste your money on the more expensive chalets.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 30-09-05 17:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
srobbo, I had exactly the same thought myself!!! Frosty the Snowman, are you sure you are not giving up that day job of yours??? Razz Razz Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think I'd get my bum felt a 2nd time
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cathy Coins, I believe we shared the transfer mini-bus with that guy, we were staying up at 2000 in a Ski World chalet there, and he was in 1600 (?). I do remeber being pleased we weren't in his chalet, as he sais he was going to put some bacon and eggs on for theevening meal, because he wouldn't have time to do dinner. I know our chalet assistant was cooking food to take down to 1600, and we did hear he'd been sacked. It sounds very familiar. Easter 2002 I think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Helen Beaumont, yup - the chalet was in 1600 and it was Easter 2002! Our first year skiing. Small world! Very Happy snowHead VERY pleased we didn't get the bacon & eggs for dinner......one of his classics was clearing out the fire in the lounge at about 3 in the morning (with the people in the room below not being pleased one bit) and putting the still warm embers in a plastic bin bag and leaving it on the wooden kitchen floor. Very sensible.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cathy Coins, I think the only reason you didn't get the bacon and eggs was because your dinner had been cooked in our chalet. Our rep (looked like Harry Potter) was in a permanent state of stress over it.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen, well we had no complaints about the hols - thought it was good value for money (I think about £320 ea) and the guy gave us something to laugh about. Although we were none too pleased when we found out he was bringing the firewood into the chalet through our bedroom (balcony just above ground and patio doors) and traipsing all kinds of gungy stuff through the room, just cos he couldn't be bothered to go the longer way round. We make a point of not wearing outdoor shoes inside. The other group in the chalet were none too impressed with the whole set-up and put complaints in to Ski World. So we have a lot to thank your chalet for! Very Happy
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, And for the helpful tips...

My first season was at LDA, it's a good resort for it.

According to Mrs P. She needs to take as little kit / clothes with her as possible. Take minimal ski gear, in terms of clothes, if she takes too many ski outfits she'll end up looking like a punter or a princess (or both Wink) everybody starts to recognise you by your outfit so it's best to wear the same thing. Take some warm clothes but it's surprising how few of the really thick jumpers and fleeces she'll actually wear, so limit it. Take some slumming clothes. Do NOT forget a couple of nice going out tops. Standard chalet girl going out clothes include nice tops, jeans and trainers - the bottom half never counts! Both Mrs P & I take nowhere near as many clothes with us now as you just end up living in the most comfortable things anyway.

Unless she owns skis / snowboard I'd really try to avoid buying before she goes (applies to all kit really - the choice in resort is better and fashions tend to be quite different, so wait until she's really made up her mind).

Take at least one thing suitable for fancy dress.

My top tip is to take a British multi plug board (gang) with the plug cut off the cord and then fit a French plug, voila, 4, 5 or 6 British plug sockets (hair drier, mobile phone etc) for the price of one.

Games, DVDs, music player, laptop and other things for entertainment are always a good idea but depends what she's into really.

*Personally* I'd say: take as little with you as possible then get loved ones to visit you in week 3 or 4 of the season and get them to bring ALL of the stuff that she realised she really wanted / needed!!

Oh and don't bother trying to maintain a long distance relationship Toofy Grin
snow report
parlor, Thats great stuff. How did you find LDA?, this girl is at the descision making stage of accepting this offer or going for more interviews
snow report
parlor wrote:
My top tip is to take a British multi plug board (gang) with the plug cut off the cord and then fit a French plug, voila, 4, 5 or 6 British plug sockets (hair drier, mobile phone etc) for the price of one.

Or if you are lazy like me just take a uk multi-board and plug this into an adaptor.
snow report
Quote:
Or if you are lazy like me just take a uk multi-board and plug this into an adaptor.
Wouldn't recommend that. Most adaptors are cheap and cheerful chinese made crap and quite likely to catch fire even if you don't overload them. Fit a proper French plug and that also ensures you'll get a good earth connection (always assuming the wiring to the socket has an earth wire..... not always a certainty in some chalets Crying or Very sad )
ski holidays
In general I'd advise you not to be lazy too.
snow report
Many thanks for the few bits of helpful advice (always helps to read the question) wink . The young lady has binned Ski World, interviewed with Ski Olympic and has been accepted. She now cant decide which resort to work in. The choice is La Plagne, Val D'Isere Tignes, La Rosiere, Vallandry (Les Arcs), Reberty, Meribel, Courchevel 1550 or 1650. Any experiences out there.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Vallandry's probably a bit more chilled and a bit less frantic than some of the other locations (I've knowledge of La Roz, Tignes and Vallandry). Though it's definitely NOT a party village (even less than La Roz). The walk around to 1800 can work up a thirst in the late evening . . you could slide back if you weren't too p*ssed and incapable of putting your boots into your bindings . . Embarassed
If it's her first time and she's not a complete party animal then Vallandy might be a gentle introduction to vicissitudes of chalet tarting. Add to that Flying Squirrel's just round the corner with VERY decent burgers and a snowHead discount.
Otherwise she may as well jump in with both feet and go for the bigger and more popular (but not necessarily better) resort, though for the life of me I can't find any justification for staying VD itself.
snow conditions
Frosty,
Get her to post any questions on the Natives chat-room. Despite the banter there are plenty of people willing to offer relevant advice.
And get her to go to the Natives night at Castleford (5th Nov). There will be people she can ask there face to face (inc me).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy