Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£13.60 return London-Bourg St Maurice?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just received an email from Eurolines (National Express) promoting their coach services to and from "14 destinations in the French Alps". One advantage seems to be no transfer costs, if you're choosing destinations like Tignes, Val d'Isere, Val Thorens, Chamonix etc.

The journey takes 16 to 22 hours each way, but the fares look interesting. Very interesting!

Just out of curiosity I typed these dates/destinations into their computerised booking service: London-Bourg St Maurice, outbound on Fri 6 Jan 2006, inbound to arrive Sat 14 Jan 2006.

The fares quoted were £13.60 'Flexi Return' (which seems to be a refundable fare), and £79.00 'Promo 30' (which seems to be non-refundable).

Looks like a source of bargain travel, but can anyone explain this apparent anomaly?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely they have those the wrong way round. Shame about the 250m transfer from London
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, Wow! Thanks for pointing that out. I also got the same price quoted for me. I wonder if I could bear to travel by coach?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did it once, London-Tignes for summer skiing in a double-decker Volvo bus. I never repeated the experience, but I don't recall it being disastrous. I used to do a lot of London-Aviemore returns by bus (about 11 hours), but I was only about 21 then!

A lot of it is down to the quality of seating and air supply. Maybe a good idea to go and check out their vehicles if you're considering it.

My guess is that that £13 fare is a come-on - must be a loss-leader. Maybe applies to one seat on the bus! Get in there quick.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, For £13 quid id travel by donkey!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith wrote:
My guess is that that £13 fare is a come-on - must be a loss-leader. Maybe applies to one seat on the bus! Get in there quick.

I just asked for a quote for 15 people - £204 total, ie the same price!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did it for 4 school trips I went on. I was pretty uncomfortable but I guess it kept the cost down. If you can handle getting very little sleep for 24 hours, it's a good deal, especially if you live in the south east of England.

The main problem though is the toilet. It stinks after about 3 hours and you have to endure that for the entire journey. Book a seat well away from it!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not sure about those prices, they seem too good to be true, but when I put my dates (Easter) in, the site bombed out. Coach travel could well be the future though, particularly if the "low cost" airlines continue to increase their prices, and if/when air fuel is taxed. I was backpacking round Turkey this summer and everyone travels by coach there, the trains are crap and petrol is even more expensive than the UK, so even the middle classes often use coaches, which are incredibly cheap.

We're going by coach to Mottaret in Easter, and like driving it has the massive advantage over flying that you get 7.5 or 8 days skiing rather than 6 if you fly. Total cost for transport & SC accommodation £221pp for 8 days skiing = £28 pp per day, compared to flying with Crystal, Thomson, First Choice £390pp for 6 days skiing = £65 pp per day. Nice! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The coach is probably the worst way to travel for me. It just takes so long and once I am in 'going' mode I just want to get there. If would be ok if you could sleep but they don't do sleepers anymore to my knowledge.

I actually think the train the best best way to travel as I can sleep on them - I cat-nap most places - but most travel to the alps from the UK involves a day/12 hrs door-door travelling IMV.

But £13 is a great price, still not sure I would do it tho'
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
If would be ok if you could sleep but they don't do sleepers anymore to my knowledge.

I think Ski Meribel have a sleeper coach http://www.skimeribel.co.uk/travel.htm
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've travelled by Eurolines several times in the summer, so long as you are not over 6ft tall and can sleep on a coach there a bargin, last time I went with them however the vibration from the seat in front caused my knees to swell up for about 24 hours, so if you are 6ft plus they're not a good idea as you will loose a days skiing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have just been quoted the same £13.60 for the Feb Half Term week, for 1 adult. It has also quoted me £264 for 2 adults and 3 children for the same time. If you pay £16 to get a Family 2+2 card for a year, two children travel free with 2 paying adults. Works out even cheaper. Very Happy Very Happy
To compare it, Easyjet have quoted me £1700 to fly to Lyon for the Half term week. Shocked Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

think Ski Meribel have a sleeper coach http://www.skimeribel.co.uk/travel.htm

Didn't think they still did this ! Its not a terrible way to travel at all. Quite fun really if you're young. The difference between being able to stretch out or sit cramped upright, is enormous. NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter, you're right. It can be an age thing. Now I think about it I also did a return to Puy St Vincent in the early 1980s - and had a great week's skiing there - with a company called (I think) Snow Coach (geddit?).

The accommodation was a bit budget too, with no clothes storage. I immediately complained to the rep, which was a huge mistake. She then broadcast, to all my friends and colleagues on the trip: "Dave Goldsmith is complaining that he's got nowhere to hang his Y-fronts".
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, I've done quite a few long bus trips over the years (one this year). They can be murder but if you're not a giant and you're prepared for a fair bit of immobility, they are good value and not significantly different in time than flying to some resorts.
You will be traveling with fellow snow addicts so the conversations will not bore you.
A few tricks for buses.
Get an aisle seat at the rear, you can get up and stretch or crash out on the floor if you're really knackered
Get out at every potty break and run or dance around - don't slump in the cafe over a coffee
Don't eat or drink too much
Get a neck pillow
Use disposable earplugs
DVT socks ARE recommended for us older types
Be there when your kit is loaded and get off and watch what's being unloaded at each interim stop. There's nothing worse than opening your bag in your hotel and finding you'll be cross-dressing for the week . . . and it fits Shocked.

I've met some great people on buses and it has made the vacation all the better for it.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 30-09-05 12:05; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Markw,

Maybe they have a new website with "online airfare style" prices, so take advanatge now..!!
latest report
David Goldsmith, Snowcoach still going strong.....your complaints obviously worked as they provide wardrobes these days!

For those interested in coach travel they're not a bad company all things considered (although Manda might disagree!). They have a Royal Class coach....but what it means I've no idea....we've always paid the supplement for the luxury of an airplane!
snow report
Masque wrote:

Get out at every potty break and run or dance around

In the cubicle?
snow report
Sat next to Masque, for 24 hrs Shocked ......... wink
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, With a big plate of Garlic sausage and boiled eggs for brekky on the ferry . . . and if I can find a gherkin and a pint of Stella for a digestive to wash it down . . . well I'm just the most amenable and expressive travel companion, quite fragrant in fact
latest report
Masque,
Quote:

With a big plate of Garlic sausage and boiled eggs for brekky on the ferry . . . and if I can find a gherkin and a pint of Stella for a digestive to wash it down .

Words fail me just contemplating this Shocked
snow report
Masque, Sorry for not replying sooner, I was in the bog throwing up. Going green
snow report
Snowcoach are ok, I've used them a few times. Coaches are ok generally. The old Ski West used to run sleepers and these at least allowed you get some rest.
It all depends on the people you travel with in close proximity, they can make or break it..!!
ski holidays
snowbunny, Frosty the Snowman, Listen you two, you make space to stretch out on a bus your way and I'll do it mine wink

and try grilling some good organic garlic sausage, it's a treat especially with shallots and pine nuts in a cream and white wine pasta sauce Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
latest report
JT, I travelled on a Club 18-30 sleeper coach to Bardonnechia many years ago (and I have heard all the jokes thankyou). The bozo in the bunk behind was very tall and wore moonboots, which bashed into my head periodically during the night, until I got up and punched those feet very hard. Mad
snow report
Masque wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, With a big plate of Garlic sausage and boiled eggs for brekky on the ferry . . . and if I can find a gherkin and a pint of Stella for a digestive to wash it down . . . well I'm just the most amenable and expressive travel companion, quite fragrant in fact

Do they run these coaches on methane then? If you supply the methane do you get a cheaper fare?

Seriously though, I would rather pay the extra not to have to go by coach.
snow report
'If you click on flexi return' it tells you that the fare is available within 4 days of departure. Why it's offering them with 4 months to go I don't know. Either it's their error so get in quick, or the site will refuse to sell when you try to buy (I haven't)
snow conditions
Utter madness! Talk about dangling a virtual carrot!
Welcome to snowHeads, johng!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Travelling by coach is not comfortable, but at those price's it is certainly viable. I've travelled with Snowcoach a few times (well quite a lot actually), and have always found the journey to the alps bearable, ( 2 extra days skiing helps )
latest report
johng, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy