Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

any info on sestriere/milky way

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. Realise I've posted asking for info on Skiwelt but still reading about other resorts too. Just wandering if any1 has skiid around milky way. Looking at staying sestriere but from there can ski salze do and over to montgeniere. Looks nice place to ski and seems good value. Just wandering if any1 has advice. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Milky Way has everything you could ask for in relation to your other thread re Ski Welt....an obvious negative is the lift system is rather old and slow although I have read that some new faster lifts are being installed around Sauze. Sestriere I think is rather unattractive as a resort bordering on down right ugly but some great slopes. There are great bowls which offer excellent off piste opportunities without trekking off the beaten track too far.

In short if the snow is good I'd go back without hesitation as I loved my week based in Sauze 2011. The package we had was superb value. Drinks and food cheap for Europe and some nice huts dotted about the mountains. I'd rate it at least even with Ski Welt if not a bit better in that there are more longer red runs than Ski Welt. Really short transfer from turin airport (75mins)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers again jirac18, wish had never started planning now. Loads of possibilities. Trying to stay away from France but avoriaz looks nice. Most larger resorts for Austria, italy would be good. Mainly after pretty resort with nice long blue and red cruise runs. Ideally cheap with a bit of life/excursions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well I wouldn't describe Sestriere as pretty. A good base access other resorts and ski areas which are though. Not been to Avoriaz so can't help on that. I would say in general terms that Sauze d'Oulx (accepting lifts are a bit old in places) woulod hit what you're after as would most places in Austria and Soll in Ski Welt would be good
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers. Found a few nice places. Annoyingly hotel on hb or crappy appartments. May b looking more into your message!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jon Ford,

Avoriaz is ugly, but very nice otherwise. One word of warning - if you hear sliegh bells, get out of the road. Those horse drawn taxis don't take any prisioners.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jon Ford, Sestriere is in the heart of a good large ski area not pretty not as good apres as Austria. Bit of a funny lay out as well.
Avoriaz is quite peculiar but again is in a brilliant location, although expensive.
Never been to the Skiwelt but have done other areas in Austria and would heartily recommend any of them so would presume Skiwelt would be along these lines.
Personal suggestion would be Saalbach/Hinterglemm. Alternatively how about Andorra? As long as you dont mind pretty hefty transfer times.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have stayed at Sauze D'Oulx and Montegenevre and skied the Milky Way. I found most of the slope grading a bit on the over stated side compared to French resorts. I never really found anything particularly difficult or challenging to ski on piste in the Milky Way. Black runs are fairly limited, and are not very difficult where they do exist.

The nightlife in Sauze is at one end of extreme compared to Montegenevre. Sestriere is probably more sedate than Sauze, and more active than Montegenevre (which is in France in case you did not know).

Sauze is on a steep slope, which means there can be a long walk up a steep incline to get to the first lift in the morning. (unless your accomodation is right at the lift) It also means that there are very few campervans in Sauze (the parking is limited, and mostly on a steep incline)

There is a campervan park in Sestriere, but it is expensive.

Montegenevre is where all the campervaners park, and there is electricity and water there.

Laughing

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76763&highlight=
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again every1. Think may have to forfeit nice resort for good, cheap skiing. Trying to narrow down resorts but the more I read up, the more become feasible. Found some mice 1s in France last night even though said would not go there this year. Risoul looks nice. Main thing is skiing over resort. We are after long blue coastal runs. Not bothered bout blacks but easy reds would help. (we are intermediates but prefer to just coast the holiday and enjoy skiing instead of breaking the sound barrier...and legs!) Been looking at.Andorra too now. Seems quite cheap and lots of runs. Does it have.a negative side? Thanks again. Sorry about all questions. Just want best resort for our moneu
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are back to looking at France I'd look at the Hameau Des Airelles appartments in Montgenevre. They are good value and offer the skiing you are looking for. The lift pass covers Montgenevre and Claviere and I think gives one day skiing in the rest of the milky way. The town is also pleasant but doesn't have much night life which suits us.

Otherwise I'd recommend looking at La Thuile or Courmayeur in Italy. Courmayeur is a nice town, and has good skiing for intermediates (although not that extensive). We have skied la Thuile from La rosiere so don't know what the town is like. However the La Thuile runs would be what you are looking for and you would be able to ski over to la rosiere too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowymum wrote:
If you are back to looking at France I'd look at the Hameau Des Airelles appartments in Montgenevre. They are good value and offer the skiing you are looking for. The lift pass covers Montgenevre and Claviere and I think gives one day skiing in the rest of the milky way. The town is also pleasant but doesn't have much night life which suits us.

Otherwise I'd recommend looking at La Thuile or Courmayeur in Italy. Courmayeur is a nice town, and has good skiing for intermediates (although not that extensive). We have skied la Thuile from La rosiere so don't know what the town is like. However the La Thuile runs would be what you are looking for and you would be able to ski over to la rosiere too.

+1 for the above

Lots of long coasty blues and reds in Montgenevre / Clavier.
Apres is quiet, but fairly cheap in comparison to other French resorts, and transfer of just over an hour is fantastic.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks, been looking at staying the other saide of the Milky Way (around the middle) so could ski the lot with ease (plus bit cheaper on the Italian side of the ski area) in terms of drinks, meals etc. snowymum, had looked at that appt (bit like the 1950 ones we stayed in last season) only problem is that we have to pay an supplement for the other 2 people that they could usually get in the room (designed for 4, but only 2 of us going). If there were 4 of us, it would be great value, but maybe a bit of a squash with the pull out bed in the lounge!
Would like to think got it down to Milky Way or SkiWelt, but keep reading up on other areas that sound good too....oh well, only got 6 months to decide! thanks again
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bigtipper, Have I missed something in this thread but where did the OP or anyone require info about campervans? Whats that all about?

Whilst I agree the very last few metres upto the Clotes lift in Sauze are steep its hardly a deal breaker. The walk up through town is a steady ascent that anyone capable of the physical exercise of skiing is surely able to walk. There is a ski bus too which runs through town regularly if you dont want to walk.

There are lots of reds from Sauze which probably are blues in France or Austria but they are long, sweeping with tree lined sections and great views....exactly what you have expressed an interest in. Sauze apres is not extreme by any stretch. The huts at Sportinia were nice and cheap for lunch.

I agree with an earlier post about links from Sestriere to Sauze being limited. There is a long but narrow blue which I would never bother again with but the gondola is plenty good and quick enough and in January wont be too busy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jon - If you are four adults I think you would be best off in a larger 2 bed apartment in le hameau des airelles. The smaller 2 bed apts have a bunk room which is very small. The larger 2 beds have a reasonable size second bedroom with two single beds. I've seen a few of them as we went with other families this year.

We booked le Hameau des Airelles through Peak Retreats both times and they offer either a self drive package or accommodation only enabling to book your own flights/hire car or train travel. In either case you can choose the size of apartment that suits you. Turin is the nearest airport but check you can get sat to sat flights there from your local airport before you book accommodation. I couldn't seem to find any Saturday Turin flights from Heathrow/Gatwick last time but the schedules may have changed this year. We went by train in the end which is a good option from the south east.

If you stay in Montgenevre you could eat out in claviere mountain restaurants at lunchtime subject to the links being open. If you book your own flights and hire car you would be able to drive to Sestriere or serre chevalier as I think a day in each is included on the ski pass.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agree H'ameau are a very cheap ski from door option
we loved it in 2010 see my earlier posts
snow report
jirac18, sometimes advice given is not intended for the questioner but for others who might read it.

Knowing that there is a steep incline, might encourage novice skiers to think about how they will walk up icy slopes in ski boots with skis and poles over their shoulder. It is not always what people who have never tried walking up icy paths with ski boots on, consider before they have to actually try it.
Smile
snow report
Quote:

we have to pay an supplement for the other 2 people that they could usually get in the room (designed for 4, but only 2 of us going)

If you rent an apartment from an owner (ie not through a TO you just pay for the apartment you want). Arrange your own flights, hire a car.
snow report
Was thinking about that. Just need to plan a place that won't stress me out trying to get from airport to resort. But think that may be a good plan. Just Bern checking out hotels in ellmau and they ate shocking. Will have a look whats about privately tomorrow for all the resorts I'm interested in
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy