Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'isere new year 2012

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I'm thinking of taking my teenage daughter to Val d'isere over the new year. We have both skiied twice before and are comfortable(ish) on most blues, hoping to progress to red runs this time around. What are peoples thoughts on val d'isere as a third time resort, too difficult? or nice challenge?

any advice greatly appreciated.

Mark
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mark8500, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead What else are you looking for in a resort? It's unlikely that you'd be able to do justice to the whole range of terrain in Val d'Isere. There are plenty of runs you'd enjoy, but unless you are particularly confident third-timers (and conditions are particularly good) you're not likely to enjoy any of the runs back down. As long as you're not averse to downloading in a lift, no problem.

BUT there are a host of other resorts in France, Austria and italy probably better suited to your stage of skiing. Where did you ski before? Piste grading can be a bit misleading - some blues in Val D'Isere could be reds elsewhere and it's a pretty busy resort, especially at New Year.

BUT - there is some very good instruction available in Val D'Isere and an instructor would quickly find good terrain for you to explore.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think val d'isere would be good as third time resort unless you have skied some blacks and/or are very keen to do difficult slopes. Blues in val would be reds in most places and many of the reds would be (difficult blacks). You won't be able to ski back to resort (the blue santons is a death trap and unpleasant for even expert skiiers) and most of the easier blues and reds in the La Daille sector are very crowded. Tignes would be better as you would be able to ski back to resort, although blue piste H (which again would be a red in many places) can also get unpleasantly crowded.
Of course you will find some enjoyable slopes but you'd be far better off somewhere like val thorens where there is an abundance of slopes to suit your level and lots of reds you should be able to progress onto
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take twice the money and head for Courchevel has everything you need skiing wise and not the altitude problems of Val T in January. (links not open, very very cold, high enough for AMS, still always folie douce to warm the cockles of ones heart providing you are not trapped near that bludy trumpet player)

I will stand back as a lover of French resorts (Val d particularly) for the why not val Gardena crowd to arrive and why not?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mark8500, a lot depends on what else you're looking for, what kind of resort ambience, what kind of apres ski, what kind of accommodation, what kind of budget. Where have you been before, and what did you like/dislike about your previous destinations?

Val D'Isere is a bit of a Marmite resort. I would never choose it, personally, but a lot of people who know it well love it. My son, for example, who spent a season there, but he's an expert skier and drinker. wink The reasons he liked it (including that you could always get beautiful lobsters - he was cooking in a private chalet) might not be too relevant to you and your daughter.

A lot does depend on whether you are going to take lessons. Most Snowheads, including me, would urge you to do so, and to seek out a really well-recommended outfit. Three private lessons for you and your daughter, spaced throughout the week, could transform your week and leave you feeling you've really made progress. If you potter around on your own - especially in the Espace Killy where you'd spend a lot of your time poring over the piste map to make sure you don't end up on a difficult slope - might leave you thinking you've made no progress at all.

The wrong resort with the right lessons is much to be preferred to the converse. But New Year is very busy - you'd need to book lessons well in advance, wherever you go.

I agree Courchevel would be better - BUT there are simply loads of resorts, many a lot cheaper, which would also be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mark8500, FWIW unless you are happy to be challenged I'd avoid Val as your third ever trip. Busy, and expensive, and a lot of what's on offer for you will be difficult to handle. One run down in particular (verte) is graded green but is a steep icy red for the last few hundred metres. Val is a great resort, but I wouldn't class it as beginner friendly.

Have you skied in italy? Pila above Aosta is a lovely little resort with plenty of nice easy reds that will build your confidence and good on-mountain food as well as Bombardinos! Courmayeur is also very picturesque and both can be reached if you have a car. Both are significantly cheaper than Val or the 3V.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of course, take your daughter to Val d'Isere and at her age, she might thrive on the challenge and be transformed into an expert skiier (provided you let her off and not hold her back)! I would recommend Val Thorens, most of which you can ski together, but which will allow one or both of you to progress without having to go it alone.

What resorts have you been to where you are confident-ish on blues?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Would say pam w is pretty right when saying "wrong" resort with good instruction is always better than the converse and Val d'Isere does have plenty of the latter. Thus it might be a bit frustrating to see alll this beautiful terrain and not having the time/ability-technique/guts/reason to access it. You can say it could be a good motivaiton to go back.
On the other hand you could opt for somewhere like Valmeinier where there are plenty green/blue/blueish red where you can sharpen your technique and build up some confidence to cross over to Valloire (same skipass) where you can find some more varied terrain including some serious bits and pieces here and there for when you will return once more assertive with your ski-ing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks for the tips so far. First year we skiied in Postalm Austria .last year we had a fab time in Meribel .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went to La Tania for the first time this year,and as a lover of Valdisere I was very pleased,nice resort ,good prices and easy access to courchevel and the 3 valleys

Going back 5 th jan
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As patricksh, says Tignes may suit better for skiing, also there is a huge New Year Party with world famous DJs (evidently) such as David Guetta (who cost the good tax payers of Tignes 60,000E for the night) - so check out the website when the details emerge and you may earn a lot of teenage brownie points....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy