Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow forecast for 2 Alpes

Poster: A snowHead
down to 2500m on Saturday. Pre season bashers are allowed a small tremor of excitement! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Our Met office is predicting a colder but drier winter for UK and Europe, so lets hope the snow arrives in sufficient quantites. (Its not an impressive amount on Saturday viz

Just booked 2 Alpes for April so my tremor is small but detectable. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee yayayayay!!!!! *tremors madly*
Snow has the same effect on me as Dr Pepper. Just so you've been warned.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris Bish,

What is the usual vertical for the LDA glacier, I'm hoping its about 600m so anything more for the PSB is a bonus.??
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, good question, but never having been there I don't know the answer. Charlotte would, but she is off-line at present. Your point that 600m would be good and any more a bonus is very valid. I'll still have the odd tremor of excitement though. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow snow snow snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 brian
brian
JT, if it's all open I think it's about 800m.

I think 400m is guaranteed from the top of the Jandri express to the top of the hill (3600m).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now I'm definitely getting a tingle snow down to 1700m on Sunday
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Its 400m on the glacier alone, but bearing in mind that the foot of the glacier is at 3200m, you'll be jolly unlucky for there to be insufficient snow on the upper mountain in late october. Some years you can get down to the Cretes (2100m), (sez Charlotte - 2 years ago you could ski to resort level (1650), but thats unusual) which is a lot of skiing, otherwise, even with just the top 1/3 covered you've still got plenty to go at for 3 or 4 days. Wish I was going now! Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulmck, there's still time snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulmck,

Thats good, I'd be delghted to get 1000m vertical which by my reckoning would be down to 2600 - I don't know the area so I am guessing. On that basis it would be a typical alpine vertical, ie top to bottom in Kitz and Soll and from Saluire to Mottarett. All of would be very impressive indeed for October.

I think I should start some excercises, being blobby on this hill doesn't sound like it will work at all...!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was in Hintertux last season the last weekend in October and you could ski down to 2600m, so it's possible...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Freezing level's dropped right down. Snow-forecast is predicting 12cm in the valley at 1600m (up to Monday night) and 22cm at 2600m snowHead

JT, In terms of vertical, the glacier restaurant is up at 3200m, and the top lift supposedly 3600m (but was more like 3530m on my GPS). The summer glacier ski area drops a little below the cafe to about 2800m at the bottom of Signal. I've never been to LDA in October, but I suspect we'll be able to make it down to Toura (2600m) and Diable (2400m).

The mountain is mainly small rocks (as this photo taken half way up the Jandri in the summer shows). So you do need a reasonably covering to make it skiable (and piste-bashable)

Somehow I have the feeling this thread isn't going to die over the next few weeks!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Predicting snow at village level in Passo Tonale (1900m). I'm off there in Jan. Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kamikaze,

That all sorts great to me, we'll see you there, thanks
latest report
Have a look at the webcam on snoweye. Not clever enough to link to it, but if you use the pop-downs on the right and go via France and Isere you'll find a picture of nice snowy 2 Alpes! Now calm down Jules! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
kamikaze, Old photo! That fence etc isn't there any more and the whole of that bit of the mountain's been remodelled! Just looked at the webcam. The glacier one is now working again, but not the 360deg on the snowpark. Very stormy, and the village one looks as if the snow is down to around 2600 - 2800 on La Muzelle.

Vertical drop on the glacier (Roche Mantel and Signal are glacier) is about 600m. Mostly easy and very wide, but with several steeper sections if required. Top of the top lift is 3,568m to be exact!!! snowHead snowHead

Must leave work now. Will post when I get sorted out, but no time to do it at the moment.
latest report
easiski, photo is from July 03 last time I was in LDA. Looking forward to see what's changed.

Freezing level is rising disturbingly, snow-forecast as it over 3000m by Saturday Sad
latest report
 brian
brian
kamikaze,

Fear not, the latest GFS ensembles predict a generally cold 2nd half of October:

snow report
brian,

Lovely, thanx, because I was playing golf in shorts today...!!!
snow report
It's now 10th October, and we've only had the central heating on twice since early May.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

paulmck, there's still time

Elizabeth B, Ive let the flat out to Helen Beaumont, so i'll have to wait til early Dec to get my kicks! It'll soon be here...
latest report
paulmck, oops, sorry!!!!
snow conditions
How we doing, anyone on the ground guess the snow levels and typical temp for the PSB.??
latest report
JT wrote:
How we doing, anyone on the ground guess the snow levels and typical temp for the PSB.??

I wouldn't like to guess but staying warm and dry until middle of the week. There is a chance of some bad weather coming up from the med but a couple of years ago it went from green slopes to a meter of fresh overnight so anything can happen and probably will.
ski holidays
davidof,

Positive waves, Thats what we need..!!
ski holidays
JT wrote:
davidof,

Positive waves, Thats what we need..!!

Well over the next couple of days it should snow down to around 2,600 meters. Perhaps 50cm of fresh. We had 10.3mm of rain in the valley last night but it was quite warm and I don't see any fresh snow below 2000m (the other mountains which go to 3000 meters are covered in cloud).
latest report
davidof, ditto here - except that I think it's a touch colder in your neck of the woods at the moment, with a snowline according to Meteo France at 2800 in Deux Alpes this am...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Meteo Chance are about right it would seem. There is about 10cm of fresh snow over at the la Grave end at 3000 meters so it is probably snowing even a little bit lower down. Should move down over the course of the week, predictions are for snow to 2600 m then fine weather to the Mondial. So no skiing to the village but the intermediate cable car station should be open. Will make for some big crowds on the lifts though.
snow report
davidof, I'll be there, but not sure how much skiing I'll be getting in - I want to go to some of the "tables rondes" including the one on sécurité Friday, and sponsorship on the Saturday morning ...

Will you be there?
snow report
PG wrote:
davidof, I'll be there, but not sure how much skiing I'll be getting in - I want to go to some of the "tables rondes" including the one on sécurité Friday, and sponsorship on the Saturday morning ...

Will you be there?

Yes although having been on the glacier in a storm I can say any days the weather is bad I will have my feet up at home in front of the fire. I'm mainly interested in testing some skis this year - previous times the testing has been to chaotic to be really worthwhile. Like you I'm not really there for the skiing as such.
latest report
I'm back online!!!! Very Happy Mainly thanks to Ise for at least making it work mostly!!!! Cool Cool Cool

The ski-ing is on the summer stuff of the glacier, and disappointingly the Roche Mantel and Signal are not open, as not enough snow has fallen yet to cover the crevasses properly sown there. However - the conditions are really nice! Laughing snowHead Blue skies, not too warm/cold - sitting in the sun in the village after ski-ing! T shirt weather yesterday and today. Laughing

Most Snowheads present, correct and accounted for. What happened to Masque? Also David Murdoch who I thought was coming yesterday????? PG is late and eEvans has had to cancel. Apart from that we're all having a great time - nothing but smiles and happy skis!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead

I've done some videoing (new toy), and when I learn how to work it properly I'll upload some clips!!!!
snow report
Snow Expected,

Yes it is true folks! It will turn colder and snow is expected in LDA from Monday. Very Happy
snow conditions
Well, the weather is still fine and dry. A bit windy on the glacier but nothing to complain about. Anow conditions remain good but sparse, firm snow with a bit of ice near the restaurant.

Unfortunately it seems as though most of Lyon and Grenoble had turned up today and the queues were dreadful! Now most of the snowHead have left on the bus to St Geoirs airport, Kamikaze and his mates are here all day tomorrow, PG is staying another couple of days, and Snowskisnow and family are here until tomorrow lunchtime. We're now a resort almost minus snowHead .
ski holidays
x-posted

Snow for Monday now expected Tuesday and likely to fall as rain.
latest report
Just got back ok - long day driving..!!

Had a great time and lots of thanks to Charlotte for all her hard work.

Hope everyone got home ok.!!
snow report
Well, after a horrid day yesterday with everything closed, I woke up to see snow down to 2,400m. It was still quite cloudy and windy at 08.00, but soon cleared and has turned into a super day. Conditions were pretty good considering the wind yesterday had clearly polished everything first, then it rained up there and afterwards snow. There was about 15cms of fresh - a bit windblown, but very skiable. The wall wasn't soooo good as there were a fair few frozen bobbles under the new snow - definitley a big turn day there. I found untracked (or at least places where you could lay down tracks) over by the snowpark and on the "triangle" bit below Dome Nord all morning. It was pretty fabby. I'm really sorry for the snowHead who've left, but especially for Kamikaze and his friends who missed out yesterday when they were hoping to ski all day.

BTW it still isn't enough to ski down to 2.600m, but it looks prettier. Little Angel
latest report
easiski wrote:

Unfortunately it seems as though most of Lyon and Grenoble had turned up today and the queues were dreadful!

Just out of curiosity did you try the funicular thingy - there was no-one using it on Saturday.
latest report
davidof wrote:
Just out of curiosity did you try the funicular thingy - there was no-one using it on Saturday.

That may have been true 1st thing, but we queued for at least 30 mins around lunch time on Sat. Decided that the T-bar would have been quicker.
latest report
Elizabeth B wrote:
davidof wrote:

That may have been true 1st thing, but we queued for at least 30 mins around lunch time on Sat. Decided that the T-bar would have been quicker.

Ahh, I didn't really notice too many queues Saturday but pretty much stuck to T bars because the funicular entrance meant leaving the sunshine. The only problem I had was dimbo slalomers on the left of the glacier blocking the entrance to the T bar there chin-wagging.... still a little nudge and there was a good demonstration of the domino effect.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy