Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine or Portes de Soleil in early April?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are condsidering Flaine for a family ski holiday in early April. Is it reasonably snow sure in April? Would also be grateful for further info on the skiing (is it intermediate cruising?) and for recommendations of decent well located apartments.

How would portes de soleil (eg. Avoriaz) compare in April? Would it be too risky to book accommodation in Les Gets or Chatel given their altitude?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've skiied both and for me it would be Flaine. If the snow is good you have all the area to play in. If it's bad the Flaine bowl has good skiing at all levels.
I dont like Avoriaz as it has bottlenecks which are a nightmare. Just getting to the lifts is horrible in slushy conditions.
To be fair the bottom of the "Grand Vans" lift is horrible at the end of the day.
We used to ski over to the other resorts in the am then the bowl in the pm to avoid the slushy nightmare at the bottom of Grand Vans.
Book in Flaine Forum as close to the Grand Vans lift as possible, would be my advice. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd second Flaine - based on my experience from skiing in both this year only though!
I noticed end March/early April the slopes in Avoriaz declined faster during the day (slushy etc). Flaine seemed to have more slopes in good condition consistently. I haven't skied the rest of the area though, only Flaine itself - but would definitely like to next winter.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowymum, The feedback above is good and spot on: From a skiing perspective Flaine. Bear in mind the numerous comments regarding the lack of character and charm for Flaine = Why don't you PM Chris Mason who has a nice place in Flaine. Alternatively if you are driving and want a family friendly resort have a look a Samoens, part of the Grand Massif, but it's a 30 min or so drive if the snow is thin, however usually the links are open From Samoens to Flaine, but of course never g'teed. PM me if you need more detail on local logistics. Cool Also MArcellus is a good point of reference as he knows the area well and has graced my with his presence when visiting my apartment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowymum, Snow in both areas will be broadly comparable.

I have skied PDS for maybe 80 weeks and the GMs for maybe 30 weekends, so you will notice from that a bias in favour of the PDS.

I find that GM is iften more crowded and the lift system is not as well organised (I am typically coming over from Samoens).

I'd suggest that Avoriaz has pretty much got rid of all its bottlenecks now with new installations, and as long as you know your way around.

I probably wouldn't bee looking to make an early booking for Les Gets or Chatel at this stage.

As usual, book flights as soon as they are cheap and book accommodation at the last minute depending on economics and snow conditions...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowymum, either Toofy Grin

Have stayed in Flaine first and second week of April on three trips but have also skied in PDS virtually every April for last eight years and Avoriaz has been good when we have driven (chosen to rather than had to) over from Les Gets. I love the skiing in Flaine, Les Carroz, Samoens and Morillon. Yep it's not an attractive resort/village by any stretch of the imagination, but there are some good apartments there with fab views. Look at P&V Residence de la Foret for large, reasonably priced apartments very close to the lifts (Erna Low).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Michael B,

Quote:

Book in Flaine Forum as close to the Grand Vans lift as possible, would be my advice

Just a small correction - you need to stay in Flaine Foret to be near the bottom of the Grands Vans. The apartments marmotte16, refers to are good, or there is Flaine Montsoleil where I have my apartment and has the advantage of ski in ski out access
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the great advice which has really helped. We're going to give Flaine a go this time. I'm prepared for the modern architecture Toofy Grin

Hope the lift queues won't be too bad. We've had a lucky run with the last few resorts we've been to and have barely encountered queues.

I like the sound of the Les Cascades piste to Sixt. Is it normally possible to ski this run in April? I can't work out how low Sixt is? Looks as though there will be plenty of skiing in Flaine/Grande Massif to keep us happy for a week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Is it normally possible to ski this run in April?

Admittedly I've only done about half a dozen days in Flaine, just day trips (different times of the season, twice in January) but it's never yet been skiable any of the times I've been there!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pam W - Thanks for that. I won't get my hopes up and will be pleasantly surprised if its open!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowymum, re Cascades - very unlikely imo. It's irritating Toofy Grin

There are some cracking reds in the Flaine bowl and a long cracking blue called Serpentine. Excellent picnic spots at top of DMC lift in good weather. Are you planning to s/c? Supermarkets are pricey so stock up in Cluses as much as you can.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Supermarkets are pricey

so is eating on the mountain - a big shock to the wallet to anyone used to the Espace Diamant!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowymum, Sixt ski area will be closed in April and so will cascades

look here for what the end of this season was like....slush fest, to knee deep powder and everything inbetween and...big bonus..... no one there Very Happy

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=82845&start=560

There is a newish carrefour market in bonneville, junction 17 off a40, or one in cluse (not easy to find if you have never been) or a reasonably large and not hugely expensive spa just before les carroz on the way up to flaine
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all for the info on the Flaine ski area. I'm sure there will be plenty there to keep us happy for a week and it will be fun to try a new resort.
We were in Montgenevre in early April this year and the snow was very sugary in the afternoon. At least in those conditions we were able to keep up with our 7 yr old who usually whizzes off very quickly but was not heavy enough to schuss through the sugary/slushy snow!

When you say eating out was expensive in Flaine, how much was say the plat du jour in a mountain restaurant? I think we paid around 13 euros in Montgenevre for lunch (per adult).
We will be self catering, but in the past have tended to eat in the mountain restaurants at lunchtime and had some evening meals out too. However this time we will be driving so will maybe stock up on more food for the evenings.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy