Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

vancouver and surrounds

Poster: A snowHead
just starting to plan a trip to vancouver and british columbia in july/august this year, a week of which we plan to spend looking at locatations for a 2nd home in around vancouver, apart from the obvious trip to whistler and vancouver island , would like to hear people's thoughts on places to see and visit whilst over there. we will have another week free to explore . flying direct to vancouver with the option of retuning from calgary.
cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hope you've got plenty of cash - Vancouver seems to be increasingly rising up the charts of world's most expensive cities. and there's a dodgy real estate agent on the North Shore you might avoid wink

Hiking up around Joffre Lake region north of Whistler good, Tofino on the island (don't know what whales migration like that time of year), climbing at Squamish if that's your thing, MTBing almost anywhere.

If you really want to sightsee you can do a lot between Vancouver and Calgary - take 99 through to Cache Creek from Whistler for starters , 5 up to Mt Robson/Jasper via Wells Gray, Icefields parkway back down to Lake Louise, but its probably pushing it to try to do the island as well in just a week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carbon_copy, where do I start? We did a big 2 week road trip last summer followed by an Alaska cruise, wish I was going back!

Vancouver - Stanley Park by bike if you can, Granville Island for the Brewery Tour, English Bay beach.

Whistler - you could go there on the Rocky Mountaineer train. Hike, bike. Keep an eye out for the free summer activities, last year we saw the Barenaked Ladies in the Olympic Stadium. Ride the Peak 2 Peak with the glass bottom and look out for bears. If bears are your thing do the Michael Allen guided bear tour (I missed it but got my fill of bears in Alaska fortunately).

For your extra week if you have time, consider a couple of days in Kelowna at a lakeside resort, Lake Okanagan is stunning and there are loads of wineries to tour.

Drive the Icefields Parkway and take the glacier tour on the Ice bus.

It's a lot of driving but so enjoyable, we spent hours in the car as we drove Vancouver to Banff and return but did different routes each way. I think I spent the entire time gazing out at the scenery.

I might think of more stuff but that's a start. Very Going green
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The dubious North Shore realtor on here is Parlor, although he doesn't post on here too much these days. His business is called Mr and Mrs Price so maybe google them and drop him an email.

There is a lot to be said for the N Shore in terms of access to the local ski hills and Whislter. The downside is that it rains a lot more there than it does in the S of the city and getting into the city centre can be a pain at peak times because all the traffic piles up on the 2 bridges linking N&W Van with downtown
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, Cheers , am in touch with the elusive "mr price"

sarah, Great info cheers

fatbob, You're right Vancouver property prices only seem to be going one way for the last few years, thanks for the tips , I will try and fit a look ate the island in the first week maybe
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Instead of driving all over the place, you can also hop on the ferry to visit a couple of the numerous islands off the coast of vancouver. Even better, you can even hire a kayak and go around the smaller islands. You may see whales if you're lucky.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would be tempted to hang around locally within a couple of hours drive and get out to spend some time on the island. Do a couple of the smaller islands and a bit of a tour round the main island. We will be centre north in August. Parksville/Campbell River and then Salt Spring. Two years ago we did Galiano, Sooke, Uceulet and parksville.

But its not clear how long you are actually going for? The vancouver / calgary trip is long and really worth it but not if your trip is short.

Property v expensive in Vancouver; there is also some sort of purchase tax as well. Realtors here offer the full package and there won't be any buying costs for you; they are paid by the seller and will split the overall comission. So they will fall over to help you and may be quite useful in picking you up from airport; driving you round etc. generally lots of smoozing. Really quiz your realtor hard when going round properties; get them to actively point out obvious defects as they may not be obvous to the uninitiated brit as the house construction is different. Get him to give details on reselling; in case the whole market dives and you need to get rid of it quickly I would want a USP in Vancouver.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gryphea, sound advice thanks , we are going for two weeks in total Cool
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno wrote:
The dubious North Shore realtor on here is Parlor, although he doesn't post on here too much these days. His business is called Mr and Mrs Price so maybe google them and drop him an email.

There is a lot to be said for the N Shore in terms of access to the local ski hills and Whislter. The downside is that it rains a lot more there than it does in the S of the city and getting into the city centre can be a pain at peak times because all the traffic piles up on the 2 bridges linking N&W Van with downtown

I also live in North Vancouver, though am not a dodgy realtor wink
I live near Deep Cove which really is quite a pleasant part of the world, and not as expensive as West Van and the West side (Kitsalano, Point Grey, etc).
Actually getting into the city centre from N Van isn't that hard at all, MrsH works downtown and the drive is 20-30 minutes. The lions gate bridge gets backed up, but the second narrows bridge only really gets bad if there is an accident. Alternatively public transport is decent enough (bus and/or seabus and/or skytrain).
It is about 1.5 hour drive to Whistler
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stuarth, i'd get really fat on Honey's donuts if i lived in Deep Cove
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Vancouver - Stanley Park & Aquariam, Granville Island, BC Place, Grounse Mountain (try Grouse Grind) North Vancouver go to Capilno Bridge

Vancouver Island - Cedar Grove, Tofino, Campbell River, Power River, Comox, Nanaimo and its capital Victoria
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stuarth, not to worried about the commute into the city , as i am not planning on doing any work whilst there, looking for a good locatation with good access to all activities inc skiing,walking, mtb, shoppping , eating out and coffee Very Happy

looking at finding a second home to spend upto six weeks in the winter and the same in the summer over the next few years extending to twelve weeks of each later on , but want to be near to the city rather than actually living in a ski resort Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carbon_copy, if the budget will stretch, Kitsilano is pretty cool. Nice neighbourhood, good access to beaches and downtown. You do have to cross the Lion's Gate on the way to/from Whistler which can be a pain

stuarth's hang-out Deep Cove seems lovely (based on one visit). I am also quite taken with the East End (quite funky by Vancouver's standards) and Lonsdale Quay seems interesting. you can use the boat to get to downtown, good access to Whistler and seems like a decent place in its own right but probably cheaper than some of the really prime places

Vancouver locals feel free to tell me this advice sucks Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have family in North Van and the Lynn Valley area is ia close to local mountains, easy access to Whislter and downtown I found no problem. I will echo the Deep Cove sentiments, great all year and the Donuts are awesome!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carbon_copy wrote:
stuarth, not to worried about the commute into the city , as i am not planning on doing any work whilst there, looking for a good locatation with good access to all activities inc skiing,walking, mtb, shoppping , eating out and coffee Very Happy

looking at finding a second home to spend upto six weeks in the winter and the same in the summer over the next few years extending to twelve weeks of each later on , but want to be near to the city rather than actually living in a ski resort Cool

Yes, that was what I was thinking too, no need to worry about commuting, it was just to answer the previous point about the bridge traffic (true for the Lions Gate Bridge but it has half the number of lanes)

Here are a few pics of Deep Cove I took a while back... http://sdrv.ms/M6O5Kc
It is pretty good second home territory. It is out of the way enough to have a peaceful village feel, yet actually not very far away from anything... and as Arno points out does have a few good coffee/brunch spots including Honey's for donuts - fortunately there are enough activities going on to burn off a few Happy
Kitsalano is nice enough but you need really big bucks to get anything special there, and is further away from the N.shore mountains where your hiking/biking all happens. West Van. hits the spot for those too, and is slightly closer to Whistler, and there are some really nice very upmarket places, but again it is very pricey indeed.
ski holidays
We have loved visiting the wineries in the Okanagan in summer and in winter skiing at the resorts in the area. Its warmer and drier then Vancouver on the summer and colder and drier in the winter.
We have driven from Vancouver to Calgary a few times, if you take the southern route to Calgary ( Crows nest pass) have a look at Nelson, Franks slide and Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump and all those wind turbines along the field edges.
Vancouver Island we stayed for a week last year and still did not see half the things we wanted to, we stayed in Victoria went whale watching in Sydney near the ferry dock that was a great afternoon lots of porpoises, grey whales and killer whales. Went to Ucluelet and Toffino and long beach park and 2nd whale watching trip to the Broken Islands. Then drive back to the ferry across to Horseshoe Bay then drive to Whistler.
Enjoy your time there it took us a couple of years to find what we wanted but its worth it.
Very Happy
snow conditions
stuarth, nice pics Cool

thanks to all for ideas , looking like sticking to vancouver area/island/whistler and surrounds on this trip , and as "jones ski" says probably take two years to find out what we really want Toofy Grin
snow conditions
plan is starting to emerge, vancouver waterfront-deep cove-vancouver island-whistler-kelowana-vancouverwaterfront spread over 14 nts Cool Cool Cool Cool cheers for the input
snow report
If you're about in July/August, well worth checking out the Celebration of Light - if you're in English Bay you can't miss it! wink
http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/
ski holidays
I am posting in this thread to confirm the denial.

Obviously this is the Internet so every aspect has now been covered and there is nothing left for me to ad.

TBH once you get to Honey's nothing else really matters.
snow conditions
stuarth, Looks like will be insitu on the 4th , looks fantastic Cool

parlor, The donuts are on you then Very Happy
snow report
carbon_copy, that's all part of my master plan. Pack insulin.
snow report
Just sat in lounge at van int airport , so thought would just post a quick report on our trip Cool

Vancouver city was fab , walked for miles , highlights were a walk around the sea wall to stanley park ,Granville market , good food out , had a bit of rain but did not affect any plans .
North Vancouver was excellent , did the grouse grind , saw bears on grouse mountain , canoed from deep cove ( with donuts) and capilano suspension bridge.
Great freeride mtb action on mount seymore , Lonsdale quay and market was a great place to visit , ate out really well every night .
Spent three days, under the guidance of the charming mr & mrs price ( defiantly not dodgy ) viewing a few property possibilities in north van and was very impressed with the area , but prices are very strong , but a few seeds were sown for future plans
Then ferry over to the island and a great drive over to Tofino , where we stayed at the wickanish inn , which was a great stop , went sea canoeing , paddle boarding , surfing and very large tree hugging , and did some of the most scenic beach walks ever , , then drive down to Victoria with for a couple of days whale watching and some fun city stuff .
Then off to whistler , and wow !!!! Five days of sunshine ,hiking, beer , bears , and bikes , spent four of the best days ever in the bike park , can't really put the runs , thrills and spills into words , but am now completely hooked on downhill mtb Toofy Grin

Last but not least back to Vancouver for our last night and what a night , early tea then down to sunset beach to watch the fireworks , then lazy mornings stroll around the sea wall followed by watching the gay pride parade through the city which was great fun.

Loved our time in BC in the summer and now plan to return this winter for another trip snowHead
snow report
carbon_copy, glad you enjoyed it. heading over myself in a couple of weeks - can't wait!
ski holidays
carbon_copy, sounds almost a "carbon copy" of our trip in 2004... When we returned I named it the one city I'd like to move to if I could move anywhere in the world. Still think that 8 years on... still no closer to moving there and probably never will be.

Will def be back for a trip in a couple of years though.

Next time you go, make sure you take a trip down to Seattle. You can get the ferry from Victoria which would be some trip. Also try and get across to Orcas Island. It's beautiful and friendly in a quiet sort of way.
latest report
Arno, enjoy , the weather is fab atm , and set fair for the foreseeable Cool Cool

shoogly, hope to act a little quicker than that but theese things cant be rushed wink and did think seattle would be worth a little side trip next time
ski holidays
Seattle is a great city. Very similar to Vancouver but a little further from the mountains. Very interesting place though. I have family there on queen Anne hill. I can tell you some great places to go if you do make the trip.

Just a very cool corner of the world Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy