Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere, Les Menuires and La Tania - how crowded do the slopes get?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm considering joining friends on holiday next year. They are currently considering Val d'Isere, Les Menuires or La Tania in the week starting 9th Feb.

Slope wise, I'm comfortable on blues and many reds, when they are quiet. However I get very nervous when slopes get crowded.

Can anyone comment on how crowded/quiet the slopes in these resorts get?

thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In general that week in February, being a French holiday week (I think), will be busier than most. However Val d'Isere genuinely does have an amazing lift system. Once you have ascended the main lifts in the morning (where there are likely to be queues of say 10 minutes) and navigated the first few runs people do tend to spread out. Like any other resort, picking your route and ski area carefully, can make for a more enjoyable experience. IMO heading to the Val d'Isere glacier (Pissalais) glacier will always reward with quieter slopes and (virtually) non-existant lift queues AND some of the best blue and red terrain is up there. The thing to always bear in mind in Val d'Isere is that ALL runs back down to the valley floor from whatever side you are coming are not only challenging for their grade, but get crowded especially later in the day - so DOWNLOAD for a more enjoyable experience - virtually ALL lifts to the valley floor in Val allow you to do so!

Can't comment on Les Men or La T!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for this, really useful.

I'm not so bothered about small lift queues, I'm more bothered about the number of people on the actual pistes. And I'm more than happy to download at the end of the day - in fact I'd often rather do this where it is an option.

The calendar on the sticky thread suggests that the week I'm considering is the week before the French (and British) holidays start, but if that is incorrect it would definitely affect my decision.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
janeed, in terms of UK school holidays there are (as I understand it) 2 weeks allocated dependant on the part of the country, it's either the week of the 11-15th Feb (when our schools are on holiday) or 18-22nd Feb. I afraid I don't know about French Holidays.

In terms of how busy La-Tania can get, if you avoid the major bottleneck routes I don't see any issue even in French/UK holidays. There is just so much area to ski I've never been on a slope where I felt over crowded and if there is a busy piste there is usually an alternative to take that is less crowded. Though some of the main lifts can get a but busy at times, but certainly not more than a couple of minutes in a queue in my experience.

Just my 2p/2cents worth.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
janeed, That week is not a french half term week, they are the following 4 weeks, so will be quieter, so all of your suggestions will be fine
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
janeed, Steve Angus's advice on Val D'I is, of course, spot on. My son spent a season there and also said the lift system was so good that it was always possible to get away from the crowds provided snow cover was good all over. BUT that depends on having a bit of local knowledge - or getting advice and following it. I sympathise with your nervousness on crowded pistes so would suggest that you check that your friends are ready to take account of it, and avoid the worst of the crowds. And don't let them persuade you to ski down!

Maybe take a lesson with Steve - or someone else he could recommend.

People who say they've never felt crowded, even in French school holidays, in places like Val D'Isere or the 3 Valleys probably haven't experienced any properly quiet resorts. I spend most of my time in a very quiet area and going to somewhere like Tignes, or Meribel, even in mid January always seems like Piccadilly Circus to me with too many skiers (usually foreign) skiing well beyond their skill level.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say that if you are a blue and easy red skiier, Val d'I is NOT place for you. Beware slopes in VI are very undergraded, and many of the easier runs (eg in La Daille sector) are very crowded at all times, although with a bit of travelling you may find quiet runs eg glacier. But the glacier is hard work to get to. 3V probably gives you better options. I don't like local slopes in les Menuires though as they face west and the snow will suffer even in feb
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
janeed, Just go to AUSTRIA. Leave the crowds behind. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would your friends consider Les Arcs? I think you would enjoy the skiing there more.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Axsman, I have been put off St Anton because S&S and many other guides say marked pistes are extremely crowded with dangerously bad skiers with no speed control. Is this not true?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
janeed, La Tania has a good variety of wide pistes, with a couple of options for getting back at end of the day, including downloading on the gondola, so that needn't be a hassle. The dates you are looking at prior to the main holiday weeks, so although it could well be busier than, say, mid-January, the ski area is so huge that crowds are rarely a problem. I avoid the holiday weeks TBH, but have often skied in the weeks either side and not seen anyone else for several minutes at a time Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think my friends would be open to suggestions, but generally go to French Tarentaise and travel by train.

Personally I usually choose quiet smaller resorts and have loved Trysil, Norway and Passo Tonale, Italy. However, I am getting better and thought it might be fun to join a group of people this year.

I'd consider Austria, not least because OH speaks German. However, trying (failing?) to learn to ski in St Anton did nearly put me off skiing for life. I was there for 5 months, and lost count of the number of times I was knocked over or made to fall by someone cutting me up. Also it seemed to have trickier blues than I've seen since. Pretty much my idea of skiing hell.

La Tania is starting to look good
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are looking for a resort accessible from the ski train I really think Les Arcs would be a good option if your friends haven't yet been there. I'd also recommend looking at La Rosiere (+la thuile) and Valmorel which can be accessed from Bourg and Moutiers respectively.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janeed, La Tania is also accessible via train, with the station at Moutiers about 20 minutes away
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anniepen wrote:
janeed, La Tania has a good variety of wide pistes, with a couple of options for getting back at end of the day, including downloading on the gondola, so that needn't be a hassle. The dates you are looking at prior to the main holiday weeks, so although it could well be busier than, say, mid-January, the ski area is so huge that crowds are rarely a problem. I avoid the holiday weeks TBH, but have often skied in the weeks either side and not seen anyone else for several minutes at a time Laughing

+1 for La Tania, lovely wide pistes around the Courcheval area as well.
ski holidays
patricksh wrote:
Axsman, I have been put off St Anton because S&S and many other guides say marked pistes are extremely crowded with dangerously bad skiers with no speed control. Is this not true?

Yup. Sadly so, the pistes in St Anton are reserved for arrogant drunken corporate hoorays with a penchant for speed skiing. wink And the OP is always too dangerous for anyone but a hardened and seasond pro.
Best go to Val, 3-Vals, or infact any ski resort in France.

BTW Le fornet ................. The Edelweis ........ worth a lunch break or several.
snow report
Try Le Praz, stay at Les Peupliers.
ski holidays
French holidays don't start until the 16th so France should be pretty quietish....
ski holidays
La Tania is a great place to ski and was a fair bit quieter than most other places we were in the 3 Vs. The Courchevel 1650 area is also quieter than the rest as it's a fair bit out of a lot of peoples reach and a lot of people coming from the other end of the 3Vs stop once they get to 1850 and then go back again. Some great cruising and more challenging stuff at 1650.

As has been said above, Val D'Isere does have a great lift system and various slopes to finish with at the end of the day, not all into the centre of the village mind you but then you only need to jump onto one of the very regular free ski buses and a 5 min journey back to the village.

Personally, from what you say, I'd go for La Tania.
snow report
I've not been to Val d'Isere but have been to la Tania and also les Menuires in the 3 Valleys - in fact since we have discovered it, we don't go anywhere else!!! The lift system in the 3 Valleys is fantastic - don't dismiss les Menuires in the Belleville Valley - if you stay in Reberty 2000 or les Bruyeres, the Sunny Express gives you lots of options in the morning - Val Thorens / Orelle valley or down into the Meribel Valley and across to the Courchevel valley. We have made it across to the Bouc Blanc above la Tania for lunch.

Having said that la Tania gondola will let you download at the end of the day although there is a lovely red and blue run down. Take a look at www.latania.co.uk - the site will give you a good flavour of what to expect there.

You really can't go wrong anywhere in the 3 Valleys - excellent skiing and a fab lift system. snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

You really can't go wrong anywhere in the 3 Valleys

Yes you can, if you are freaked out by busy slopes. Meribel freaks me out at times, in so-called quiet periods. Loads of nutters streaking out of control down converging pistes. Shocked Particularly hairy of snow conditions aren't great - which is not uncommon in Meribel. There are any number of quieter options. In the 3V Courchevel 1650 is a good call.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

You really can't go wrong anywhere in the 3 Valleys

Yes you can, if you are freaked out by busy slopes. Meribel freaks me out at times, in so-called quiet periods. Loads of nutters streaking out of control down converging pistes. Shocked Particularly hairy of snow conditions aren't great - which is not uncommon in Meribel. There are any number of quieter options. In the 3V Courchevel 1650 is a good call.

The 3V's................ koneshno ya sprashavayoo po Ruskii, i ya sznayoo shsto Ruskii devotskii ochen kraciviyi. Noo, onii skolke ochen!! wink

Sadly the 3V's have had their day. GREAT skiing yes, but sadly way over crowded with our former Soviet bloc cousins with more Roubles per Euro than Sterling! 7 Euro for a plate of chips at Cote Brune......... 25 Euro for 12 Escargots ............. 5 Euro a Vodka (2012 prices).

Naaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh.............. Les Trois Vallees .............. un peu passe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meme aussi pour Val et L'Espace Killy. Moi, j'aime la France, malhereusement elle est trop cher pour sa charme.
latest report
Thanks for your comments, all really useful.

It seems like this week might be UK half term for some areas after all, which might be the deciding factor for me.
snow report
Edit: Apologies to the mods. I've realised this is a bit of a thread necro.

I have a somewhat related question as we're considering La Tania 03/02/13 - 10/02/13 or the same week in March.

What is a local lift pass defined as for for La Tania? I assume it's the Courcheval pistes? So the area lift pass would add Meribel & VT?

Thanks.
latest report
Quote:

What is a local lift pass defined as for for La Tania? I assume it's the Courcheval pistes? So the area lift pass would add Meribel & VT?

Yes, the local area pass is for the Courcheval valley. You can add to it to get the full 3 valleys.
snow conditions
popej, Yes, Courchevel Valley pass covers all local area, plus Courchevel pistes - costs are c. 200 euros for 'local' and c. 235 euros for the full 3 Valleys pass. IME unless you like lots and lots of mileage, and don't want to ever ski the same piste twice in a week, the Courchevel pass is usually plenty for a standard holiday.
ski holidays
Thanks chaps, we'll stick to the local pass.
snow report
Quote:

I have a somewhat related question as we're considering La Tania 03/02/13 - 10/02/13 or the same week in March.

I think I read elsewhere you decided on the earlier week - I'd strongly advice against the same week in March, which will be a lot busier because it's French school hols (though all the French people I know vow they won't go anywhere near the 3V these days they might not be representative of the population as a whole!) I agree with Anniepen that the Courchevel Valley is plenty for a week's holiday. It has more skiing than many a good-sized ski resort - Courchevel 1650 is out on a bit of a limb, but can have the best snow in the whole area, and tends not to get too busy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janeed,
Quote:

It seems like this week might be UK half term for some areas after all, which might be the deciding factor for me.

I'm based out in Courchevel for the winter seasons and get to do loads of skiing throughout the 3Vs. IMHO the Courchevel/La Tania area is fantastic for blue & red run skiers (possibly better than the other options), and I wouldn't be too put off by the fact that your proposed week coincides with British half term (the first week of two). During British half term, I personally haven't found that the pistes are too crowded, the problem arises if the week coincides with the French holidays. Last year Meribel (which has some awesome skiing too along with St Martin) was busier than the Courchevel Valley during British half term but I didn't find queues much of a problem anywhere and the pistes were good but we did have lots of snow so everything was open.

I feel nervous of out of control idiots (whatever their nationality) on piste so choose areas/pistes very carefully when I'm skiing during peak French holiday periods. Seeing as we have two weeks of Brit half term this year, I'd expect it to be no different (possibly quieter as people are spread over two weeks instead of the one) to last year. I think French holidays start the following week on the 16th Feb?
ski holidays
Thanks for all the tips. We've just booked for La Tania.
snow report
Can def recommend heading over to 1650 from La Tania: my favourite runs were over there. Lovely and wide and usually lovely and quiet.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy