Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bansko - bulgaria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Has anyone been to Bansko and skiied bulgaria before? Does it get reliable snow, good offpiste? I was reading some positive reviews in a resort guide and was thinking about going for a visit. Also some very cheap property investment opportunities and if the resort is being developed as the resort guides i read, it could get bigger and better?

Thanks
Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ExSkiBum, have you done a search on here? There's loads of stuff about the skiing and property.

.... in the meantime I'm getting popcorn wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No i haven't, think i'll research on the forum.. i just read an article about corruption in the property there... Confused Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, I am getting a box as well! Should be fun!!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I was reading some positive reviews in a resort guide

In 2006 The Guardian carried an article with the headline:

Quote:
BANSKO: The Val d'Isere of the future?

... allegedly written by a blind journalist on crack cocaine who had invested in property there.

As holidayloverxx says... do a search.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As an ex bansko proerty owner I can chip in here ( then get shot down by th Bansko bashers on here)

Property.
10 years ago there was some quick money to be made. But people caught on and the gravy train ran out. I was one of the unfortunate one to by 5 years ago and sold this year. I lost half my money and had to swallow that bitter pill. If I had my time again I would not have bought when I did, but now is probably a good time to buy if you are not looking for a quick buck. We sold our one bed apartment in a nice complex for 29,000. It was 60sqm and very nicely finished. The only reason we sold was to fund a house move in the UK due to a change of job. If I was thinking of buy now, like any foreign property I would be vary wary of the current euro rate. If the Euro crashes then there would be some real bargains to be had.
The resort has been over developed and tehre are still loads of infra structure issues to sort out, but they are getting sorted ( albeit very slowly). There is a lot of corruption in Bansko so research who you are buying from. The talk of expanding the ski area has been rife for years now as is the potential second town to ski area gondola. If this happens then I can see there being another boom in the town. If the authorities restrict any further apartment and hotel construction, then the resort could be great, but that is a big IF.

Skiing
As an steady intermediate piste hugger, I am kept entertained for a week, but would get bored if I stayed any longer. The season riuns from Christmas to early April. There has been skiiing early December and into May before. The runs are kept well and there are plenty of snow making cannons to keep things topped up. I can't speak for the off piste, but I hear is is good if you know where to look. The lift pass is not the cheapest when you calculate the km per £, but I only do around 15 miles a day so it works out great for me.

Apres ski
As cheap as it gets really. Lots of restaurants and a chilled atmosphere in the old town, and some more modern (english type) places to eat and party in the newer part by the main gondola. This March we were a 4 adult group and were eating slap up meals and drinks for 40-50 quid. I love the food in the Bulgarian restaurants... lots of meat and veg. And the beer is not bad either.

Summary
Although we have sold our place, we will still keep going because we like te place so much. You can get some great deals on private rentals if you know where to look. There are a lot of owners who cannot afford to sell and will take minimal rent just to get some money in to pay their management fees etc.
The only other resort I have skied is Tignes and without doubt Tignes is the better skiing, but the cost of living in Bansko makes it a vert tempting alternative. I have said it before that to go on a SKI holiday then Bansko is not the best option out there, but if you want a ski HOLIDAY then I really recommend Bansko.

I will don my tin hat now and await the bashers Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
smagsmith wrote:
....I have said it before that to go on a SKI holiday then Bansko is not the best option out there, but if you want a ski HOLIDAY then I really recommend Bansko......

Nice line Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi smagsmith, I'm not going to bash your overview of Bansko, but will ask as as to how much skiing you have done in other central European resorts? And,, have you spent enough time in any other resort to become as familiar and as cozy with the place as you have with Bansko?
FYI, my In-Laws own an apartment in Bansko and I have spent approx 8 weeks there in total.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 10-06-12 22:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Mollerski, I have only been skiing for 5 years and was a late starter at 32. Unfortunately, I have not spent enough time in Europe at all. I plan to spend more time exploring now that I have sold my apartment. However I still plan to have a short break in Bansko each season as well as a longer ski holiday in a different resort. Who knows, I may get bored of Bansko, but for now I still enjoy it. I have a budget to keep to and that is why Bulgaria is an option. The 5 days skiing I had this March cost a total of £900 for me and my wife. That incuded flights, transfers, accomodation, lift pass, ski rental for my wife and spending money. If I could find that in the Alps, then I would give it a go for sure, but as yet, I have not found that kind of deal yet. Any recomendations?

Cheers
Smag
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smagsmith, Not wishing to be demeaning in any way, but your skiing history kind of fits with those whom appreciate Bansko.

Those that have skied central Europe/America prior to visiting Bansko tend to be a little less than enthusiastic.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
smagsmith, If you are keen on Bulgaria then may I suggest Borovets which IMHO has better skiing, but not such a pretty village. And yes you can find decent food in Bulgaria you just have to remember they are called Turkish restaurants.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm with Smag on this one but have skied several times in France and also in Canada. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to spend a season in Bansko and skied every day except 2 and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm going back to Tignes again for the 3rd time in December and hopefully a couple of trips to Bansko next year. As for Borovets John, you can keep it in my opinion. Its just not my cup of tea.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ExSkiBum wrote:
Hi
Also some very cheap property investment opportunities and if the resort is being developed as the resort guides i read, it could get bigger and better?

Cheap yes, investment opportunity no way! I would only consider buying if you intend to spend a lot of time there personally and can therefore justify the expense of an apartment over renting. Otherwise don't waste your money on a very dubious punt.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smagsmith - can I ask how you sold your place (privately, through an agent etc)? I have a place there that I would like to sell but wondering what is the best way to go about it.
Thanks
EC
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
El Contador, Chuck your keys and leg it would be one way out. Confused
snow report
Mollerski, not wishing to be flattering in any way, but you have a such a charming way of revealing yourself to be a complete and utter idiot.
snow report
DoubleBombardino,

At least I have a 'charming way' rather than being blunt, rude and downright ignorant.

Please explain why you may consider me an "utter idiot" as you know nothing about me?

If you have the capacity to do the math and fully comprehend the situation re. property in Bansko, you will appreciate that in many owner's cases, 'throwing the keys' may well be the prudent option.
latest report
El Contador, We used Debbie and Warren at Bower properties. They have a great reputation as estate agents out there. We knew them as they live in the same complex that we had our apartment. We were lucky to sell so quickly , but if you price it right, then there are buyers.

johnE, HAve had a day in Borovets andd enjoyed the skiing, but the resort was dead as it was late in the season, so cant really compare the apres based on that one visit.

Mollerski wrote:
smagsmith, Not wishing to be demeaning in any way, but your skiing history kind of fits with those whom appreciate Bansko.
I agree and that is why I want to try some new places in the coming seasons. Just not found anywhere as affordable as Bansko yet in terms of Apres.

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
smagsmith wrote:
I agree and that is why I want to try some new places in the coming seasons. Just not found anywhere as affordable as Bansko yet in terms of Apres.

Smag

Umm, you might struggle there. Confused

IMO, some of the smaller, less well known Italian resorts can offer better over all value than Bansko. Beer wiil inevitably, be more expensive. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
smagsmith, if it isn't a silly question, why did you buy an apartment somewhere you could only spend a week without getting bored?
latest report
pam w, good question. I knew I loved skiing, but was only just starting my skiing back then. The thought that I would get bored never crossed my mind. I look back and think I made the wrong choice to buy when we did. It was mainly an investment ( not a good one as it turns out). I have put it down to one of those life decisions that I will learn from. For anyone thinking of buying abroad for the first time, I would have one golden rule...... do your research. After buying I found out so much info that , if I had known before I bought, then I may not have bought. There is bags of info out there on the internet forums taht I did not know exists.

Cheers
Smag
ski holidays
Quote:

It was mainly an investment ( not a good one as it turns out). I have put it down to one of those life decisions that I will learn from.

From reading SHs over several years now I'd suggest that most of the people who are happy with their decision to buy a ski property (including me),some years after the event, bought it because they wanted to spend time there themselves, albeit often offsetting the cost by renting for part of the time. If the place then turns out to have been a good investment, then that's a bonus. When we bought our place our prime consideration was "will this enable us to spend loads of time in the mountains, at all times of the year, much more cheaply?". Changes in family circumstances mean I am not so likely to be spending a lot of time out there in future, so for me the calculation will be changing and I might decide to sell in a year or so.
snow report
Quote:

El Contador, We used Debbie and Warren at Bower properties. They have a great reputation as estate agents out there.

Smagsmith - many thanks for this, I will give them a call.

Quote:

El Contador, Chuck your keys and leg it would be one way out.

Mollerski - we're going to leave that as Plan B for the moment. Hopefully we won't have to resort to it but it has been considered already!!
snow report
I think Bansko gets too much bad press here. Agreed it can be a bit of a building site which I hear is improving but the pisted terrain is great if a little limited with a very modern lift system, the town is very nice with some great authentic restaurants serving some very nice local food and drink for some great prices.

The off piste is very good if you explore (see link below). I wouldn't hesitate returning.

http://youtube.com/v/DfVuVOfymUk

http://youtube.com/v/d4eYv6vks4s
snow report
Dot - that tree run was sick!, some real tight spots in there! And its the off piste im more interested in. Is the average snowfall high? Many Pow days in a season?

I was thinking of getting a place so that i could have somewhere cheap to visit that was my own place where i could get alot of skiing in, not so much a business investment as others have said..more of a get away in the winter and would ask to be a home worker with my current job while being in bulgaria for abit.. it does seem from most of the comments that you've gotta becareful due to the boom as such and how its quieter now, so could be hard to rent the place out.. (whats going on in bansko in summer??)

Certainly will go for a holiday there next winter and check it out.. If the resort gets developed more as mentioned could be interesting to see what happens!
latest report
that tree video looks sick
snow conditions
ExSkiBum, I've only been there twice but on each trip is dumped. I'm sure Dave Canski, can give you more info as I believe he has a small apt out there.
snow report
They have built one or two golf courses just out of town to attract People in the summer but I believe they then decided to make them Only accessible to Certain accomodation?

My parents have an apartment in White Fir Valley and have been in the summer for the walking and scenery.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've also heard they are developing a lot of MTB terrain.
snow report
ExSkiBum, Sounds like quite a plan! Let me know via PM when you decide to purchase as a friend has a beautiful apartment (much bigger and better decor than our place in France) who would love to sell to a discerning buyer!
snow conditions
ExSkiBum,

My In-Laws have a cracking penthouse with pool and spa for sale. wink
latest report
Mollerski, Is it not amazing that everyone that owns a place wants to sell and everyone that has never been wants to buy!! Says it all really!
snow report
My parents don't want to sell. So not quite true.
snow report
NickyJ, The exception that proves the rule!!! wink
ski holidays
Roy Hockley wrote:
Mollerski, Is it not amazing that everyone that owns a place wants to sell and everyone that has never been wants to buy!! Says it all really!

wink
ski holidays
Quote:

more of a get away in the winter and would ask to be a home worker with my current job while being in bulgaria for abit

that sounds a fantastic idea - but you should be able to rent somewhere for little dosh and less risk!
latest report
Not fair pam w, ! My mate is trying to sell his place, I heard it is the next Val D'Isere! Very Happy
snow conditions
Thanks for the comments and at pam w, certainly the safest option! I wouldn't be in any position to buy until having skied the resort and found those tree's from dot's video Laughing
latest report
Dot., some good Redeemer action in those clips Cool. Not sure about the live music!
snow report
ExSkiBum, Surely no thread on Bulgarian skiing is complete without reference to the luxurious on slope toilet facilities:

http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8

Toofy Grin

I'm not intending to bash Bulgarian skiing though, to be fair I've never been there so can't comment. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy