Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Anton recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Some of you will be looking at booking St Anton for 2013, so thought I would recommend some of the places I've stayed in the past, and some of the methods I've used to get there.

Getting there.....Because its so easy to get there we usually organise it ourselves. Either fly Easyjet from Luton to Zurich, or BA from H/Row to Zurich. Once in Zurich you get a train from the airport to the main Zurich HBF station, From there you can get a train which takes you straight to St Anton, no hassle. This is all Bookable on the internet on either the Swiss (SBB site), or Austrian (OBB), whichever is cheaper, It can be very cheap if you book as soon as the timetable is availabe.
If you want an even easier method to get there, catch the Arlberg Express bus straight outside the airport terminal. Again easily bookable on the internet. This will cost you about 50 euros each way, but you can travel in by bus and out by train if the bus timetable doesn't suit your schedule. Thats whats great about doing it yourself.

Accommodation in St Anton.......I have read some comments on the forum about poor standards of accom. in St Anton. Well I have never experienced this, and I guess if you are willing to spend between 40 and 60 euros a night B&B you won't either. Some of the places I've stayed I recommend yo you :-

Haus Maria Theresia.....Right next to the Galzig Bahn and so comfortable and clean...Top class!!

Haus Enzian..... our current favourite, near to the church on the main street. Again cosy and quality, and you get ski storage at Galzig into the price which is fantastic.

Haus Inge.......Again on main Street next to the church, exactly like Enzian, beautifully looked after and cosy. And ski storage is again paid for

Haus Maschler.....Just behind the church, bigger house than the others but again clean and comfortable.

All of these houses are en suite and all provide a decent breakfast. They are also very near the centre of town with no hills to walk up. Hope this helps somebody enjoy St Anton as much as me.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Useful cheers,

We are jsut booking the Hotel Rundeck for the start of Feb!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that

Any tips how to get to St Anton from Munich?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
patricksh, So a simple search, there are loads of posts from those of us locally based giving you all the advice you need.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BTW: with the introduction of the railjet on the Zurich to Vienna route, 2 years ago, many train services no longer stop at StA. On those services, you need to get off at Langen and wait for a connecting train. PITA! What were they thinking...?!?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well maybe some trains don't stop there but you can get a train from Zurich to St Anton at 8.40am, 10.40am, 14.40pm, 16.40pm, 18.40pm, 20.40pm. So whatever time you land there is a train within a couple of hours. I've done this journey many times, its a real pleasure, having a beer or a glass of wine and watching the alps roll by. Last January during the big snow I was the first one to step off the train at St Anton at about 10pm, and I stepped into literally 2 foot of powder, what a great start to our holiday.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ulmerhutte wrote:
BTW: with the introduction of the railjet on the Zurich to Vienna route, 2 years ago, many train services no longer stop at StA. On those services, you need to get off at Langen and wait for a connecting train. PITA! What were they thinking...?!?

Not from my experience & I have used it multiple times.

The RailJet does not stop at Langen am Arlberg.

It STOPS in St Anton am Arlberg.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rubbish! Check the OEBB timetable. The 8:40 service out of Zurich on RJ163 stops at Langen. You then have to change to OEC867.

The 10:40 service does stop at StA.

Do try to keep up!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Do try to keep up!

No chance. That train must do at least 100kph
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do the Railjets from Zurich to St. Anton have restaurant facilities? I had a look on the SBB website and didn't see a reference on it.
I have used the train many times to St.A from Zurich when they ran restaurant cars but not since the introduction of the Railjets.
Thanks for any info.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always plan on getting to Zurich early afternoon to catch a direct train, never had to change at Langen. The change only adds 40 mins to the journey anyway so it's hardly a deal breaker.

xscreamer, I usually stay at Maria Theresia's place but couldn't get in for New Year so am staying at a place further up the hill, next to the Underground.

davidthornton, the SBB site shows that the Railjets have restaurant facilities.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, our flight lands at Zurich early in the morning, so the 8:40 has been our preferred choice. Forty mins in Langen is not a deal breaker but frustrating (after travelling over 27 hours), because StA is only another 5 min away. The waiting room at Langen is also fricking cold!

The Railjet does have a catering car of sorts, but last year we bought sandwiches and they were shocking. Next feb we are buying on-train food at Zurich HBf.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ulmerhutte, if you have come all the way from Oz, presumably spending a fair bit of cash why don't you just have a warm cab booked to whisk you from lovely Langen straight to your accommodation instead of kicking your heels in a cold waiting room for 40 minutes?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 14-07-12 9:57; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We actually looked into that option, but the difference in arrival times was pretty much negligible. The people we stay with also have offered to pick us from Langen, but we politely declined. Did not want to put them out for such little benefit.

Now, a heli transfer from ZRH was an appealing option, but for one problem... cost! wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ulmerhutte, well if you are going to insist on doing things on the cheap...

But seriously it doesn't take 40 minutes to drive from Langen to St Anton.
ski holidays
Laughing

True. It is probably around 20min via Schnellstrasse.
snow conditions
If you book 1st class they serve food at your seat & they give you loads of freebies like orange juice,chocolate.
Btw.
The winter railway schedule for next season is not published yet,it comes out in
November so I would only use the current table as a guide. They do change!!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 15-07-12 8:19; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
I would only use the current table ass guide. They do change!!

Shocked

Apparently:

"1. Table Ass
A woman's backside that is so large that a meal could be served on it.
That 'hoes got a table ass"

[www.urbandictionary.com]
snow conditions
stanton wrote:
If you book 1st class they serve food at your seat & they give you loads of freebies like orange juice,chocolate.
Btw.
The winter railway schedule for next season is not published yet,it comes out in
November so I would only use the current table ass guide. They do change!!

So badboy, go expensive Hertz out of Zurich/Kloten................ much cheaper if there's more than one homie with you.
ski holidays
Here is the link to the website from the Tourist Information where you have all the possible ways of getting to and from St. Anton. http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/st-anton/informationen/travel-getting-here-2.html

Also the food/drink service in the Rail Jet is called a "Bistro" it's a small café like place with a few tables, some for sitting and some for standing, I don't know what the food is like, but given all the options in the Zürich main train station, I would certainly choose to by something there.

ulmerhutte, you are completely right, the 8:40 train from Zürich does not stop in St. Anton, they suggest that you change train in Feldkirch instead of Langen.

When you leave St. Anton then buy you're ticket in the self service machine at the train station, it's a bit cheaper, I don't know why.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy