Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Mont Blanc

Poster: A snowHead
Mont Blanc the mountain of eternal snow – it’s the last few days of May and most skiing has been closed for a month or more.

Team ready!
Starting out for our climb involves a walk down the ridge from the summit station on the Aiguille du Midi and short ski round to the refuge Cosmiques.

1 am alarm comes very quickly; you don’t feel like breakfast but it’s necessary.

Out the door and skis on, a short slide brings us to the base of Mont Blanc du Tacul, skins on the base of our skis and up we go.

Pre Dawn
A few hundred meters up and it gets steep and firm, change to Crampons and skis on our backs.

Two hours grind further on and we are on the shoulder, changing back to skis to slide over to Mont Maudit – it’s still very dark.

It’s time to rope up as dawn approaches, it’s chilly but not cold, there is a perfect stillness in the air as the light changes.
The Shoulder of Maudit is a steep but short, fixed rope, axe as well as the crampons. We are rewarded by an amazing vista, deep into France, Italy and Switzerland.

Maudit Panoramic
A short decent brings us to Col Brenva, things have changed and got harder. There is a stiff breeze trying to freeze us, we are feeling the effects of Altitude and one of my crampons has collapsed.

Kimberly and Col Brenva
We eat some food, tie and strap my crampon together, and start up the final slog.

Broken Crampon!
It’s not very far in terms of distance or height from Col Brenva to the summit of Mont Blanc, but it’s the toughest part of the climb – how hard a gentle slope can feel when the Altitude, and cold are biting away at you.

Last Steps...
At 11 am, having been on our feet for just over 9 hours, we’ve made it. It’s a beautiful sunny day and we can see (almost) forever in every direction. Anything higher is a long way round the curvature of the earth.

Summit Team - Glen and Kimberly Plake and me!

Me on the summit!
Smiles, Photos, Snack and it’s time to ski.
At 4807m there is a lot of wind, hence our first few turns are on hard snow. A little lower and we have powder to play in. Amazing to ski with everything below and nothing above.

Glen Plake
Seracs tower above us, beautiful but menacing, our snow changes from powder to smooth, refrozen silver and finally to spring snow as we approach the Grand Mulets Refuge.

Kimberly in the Powder!

Me in the powder!

Below the Mulets we rope up, keeping our skis on to enter the Junction of glaciers and cross onto the Bossons.

Below the Mulets

Traversing the Bosson glacier
Skins on, a bit of scrambling and we are on the slushy traverse below the Aiguille du Midi – not far now – two short descents, some rough loose scree scrambling and a short walk brings us stumbling up the Mid station of the Aiguille du Midi 23 hours after we passed though it on our way up.

Final Slope...

The stumble back!
Many thanks to Glen and Kimberly Plake my intrepid ski and climbing partners on this rather special outing.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Top work. Shame you had to go skiing with such hacks wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
win!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Impressive stuff
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Idris, Wow, well done, brilliant photos, what an experience and what a day! Going green
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Class!!!

PS. Is that "Idris" as in "Vibram sole on alpine boot"?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
noice! - two of you on Plums too eh, good to see - I knew GP was a user/ambassador
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice one - did the same route a few years ago. You were quicker than we were!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Excellent.

Thanks for sharing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fantastic, and amazing photos.

Great post, thank you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
At first I though, "bug me, Glen Plake posts on Snowheads!".

Good trip report. How hard was the route finding on the descent?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ha - top quality celebrity name drop there Very Happy
So Glen Plake goes touring on 'short skis' these days.......... Wink

Idris - Think I must have been reading your interweb TRs for almost a decade (first on natives, then TGR, now here...)
This has to be one of the coolest by far.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Epic stuff, and great photos too! I was supposed to be doing this this year but reproduction got in the way...

Pffft! Reproduction. A poor substitute for real achievements like this.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
altis, err, yes, that was a while back - things have moved on a little - but watch this space

galpinos, not really, 100 odd tracks on the face, but plants of side stashes to be found Wink
ski holidays
Idris, great to see your skis are going the distance.
ski holidays
Idris,
Fantastic - thanks for the TR.

Maybe next year... Very Happy
snow report
So I was reading that thinking "Blimey that bloke looks just like Glen Plake!"

Top stuff!
latest report
Piccadilly, me to! I knew the face and at first the name "Iggy Pop" sprung to the fore ... until the penny dropped Embarassed
snow report
nice one
Made my day
thanks
ski holidays
Idris, brilliant TR, looks fabulous.
latest report
Idris, the 2 lines on the last picture, are they your "Up n down" routes? if so which is which?
latest report
My favourite snowheads TR ever! Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, red up blue down I reckon
snow report
Brilliant
snow report
Thank you thank you thank you Madeye-Smiley This is just amazing.
ski holidays
Idris, A question - I see you've got water bladders for drinking water, do you replenish them with snow or bottled water? Was just thinking logistics and super keen to do it, I take on a lot of water and just wondered how much you needed to carry etc?
snow report
Markymark29, the hut will fill you up with melted snow before you set out
I am like you and it can be difficult balancing carrying enough water to keep you going without getting weighed down by it all. Generally I limit myself to 2l but it would be tough on a long day like Mt Blanc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, I carried 3 litres of water myself - Glen and Kimberly had 2 a piece and we all had just enough.

Snow is not an option at this hut or this route - the altitude ensures it's too cold.

Arno, The Cosmiques hut is a private hut and only sells expensive bottled water Sad
snow conditions
Idris, hmm... mind you, the melted snow isn't exactly a bargain for what it is!
ski holidays
Idris, Another question - I'd really like to do this maybe next year, or one following, have been thinking about it for a few years. I reckon skiing down wouldnt be an issue, and fitness getting up there also not a biggy...i'm on a major boot camp food plan to lose 10-15kg ready for summer biking in the Alps, but my ice climbing skills, rope/ ice axe, and general mountaineering skills are not up there, is there a guide system or training camp you could suggest, I guess the Cham guides would take you up for a fee but I'd want a good level of skill before getting to that point. Also is there a major issue booking the hut? Would welcome your thoughts.
snow conditions
Really enjoyed looking at these photo's, I climbed this route on foot not skis, way back in 1983 only we descended the Glacier du Miage into Italy.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
[b] is there a guide system or training camp you could suggest,
The BMC run Alpine introductory courses either at Plas y Brenin or Glenmore Lodge.
ski holidays
Inspiring stuff. Little Angel Thanks for posting.
snow report
OwenM, cheers, will look at these
snow conditions
Wow !!! Skiing with Plake - how cool is that !!

He's my hero (and being a cycnical old 50yr old, there's very few of them)
ski holidays
Markymark29, lots of British IFMGA Guides run courses which would set you up for this. Jagged Globe run intro ski mountaineering courses which cover a lot of the skills needed, as do Dream Guides, Alpine Guides, High Mountain Guides (popular search engines are your friend for all of these), and many independants too (pm me for more reccommendations). The 3 Monts route is relatively basic mountaineering but definitely worth being comfortable on crampons with axe in hand...
Cosmiques hut can get very busy particularly on weekends in the spring (even more so when the forecast is good) so aim for a midweek trip...

@ Idris great pics as always - maybe catch you for some summer skiing this year again.
latest report
Quote:

I reckon skiing down wouldnt be an issue

Skiing the North Face direct from the summit is very dicy. Big seracs, bigger crevasses. Pre-knowledge of the route essential. OP had plenty of tracks to follow (!) but there were none at all when we did the same route.
snow report
Thank god I thought for one moment those people who make £500 fountain pens had brought out a ski range.
latest report
Idris, great TR, thanks. Those skis your using aren't the ones you planned to make out of your ISPO stand are they? Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy