Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Silverton to offer guided - and 'unguided' - skiing in Colorado

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Silverton in Colorado is an exception amongst Colorado's ski areas because - in recent winters - it has operated exclusively as a 'guided' ski area. For environmental and safety reasons (primarily relating to avalanche control) only 80 skiers per day have been allowed on the mountain, with guides provided.

Under a new agreement, up to 475 skiers per day will be allowed - on a guided or unguided basis - and the operators have been granted a 40-year lease to continue. Silverton is an expert/advanced ski area, with one chairlift.
Reports from Rocky Mountain News and Grand Junction Sentinel.

Back in the 1970s and early 1980s, Silverton staged speed-skiing events on 'Velocity Peak'. Franz Weber, of Austria, set the world record there in 1982 and 1983. To read about Silverton's skiing, this report from FreezeOnline.com is excellent.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm very keen to make it up there, hopefully this season. I have heard different reports. One friend from Vail said "wow, it was just like heli-skiing!" Another friend thought that the guides were trying to "farm the terrain" and didn't let them ski all the good stuff they could see so that it could be saved for the weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hope you get there, Martin. It'd be interesting to read some snippets of what you find.

This interesting piece on Silverton - and another wild ski area called 'Mount Bohemia' (450 miles north of Chicago in Michigan's Upper Peninsula) has just appeared on the Forbes.com site.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Goldsmith,

Very interesting, good spot. If Martin B or other Snowheads get there this season it will be interesting to see if it pans out.
Is it the real deal or marketing..!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JT, I have been up for a look in the summer and the terrain certainly looks challenging. But not a massive area. Aaron Brill says it was inspired by the "club fields" of New Zealand, some of which have just a couple of rope tows but some great terrain.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Martin Bell,

I never get too carried away with kms or acreage, if the snow is good and terrain is suitable then I can go up and down all day and just pick a different line down. This is why I like Titlis and Grand Montets, for example. Imagine a hill like that without the numbers..!!

That wound certainly be worth a visit or three.

Sounds like you may get to try it this season, be sure to tell evryone its rubbish..!! Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy