Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gulmarg trip 2012/2013

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, I'm planning a Gulmarg trip sometime next season either in Dec 2012 or Jan/Feb 2013. I was wondering if anyone would be there, or is interested in going around this time.
Anyone that's been there before is also welcome to comment on the accommodation, gondola conditions, and anything else there is to know about the place. I have been keen on hitting the slopes at Gulmarg ever since I recently moved to India, but unfortunately I cant find someone to go with.
Sad

I have spoken to the owner of the local ski shop in Gulmarg and he is willing to do all the arrangements.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been thinking of going there for some time. Have you been in touch with Peter Robinson of SkiHimalaya or Powderhounds?
Are you now based in India? Have you been to Jammu or Auli?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
yea im currently living in Delhi and yes i have been to Jammu but not Auli. Jammu doesnt have any skiing as its not cold enough for snow but Auli is supposed to have decent slopes, but the infrastructure isnt as developed as Gulmarg, nor are the slopes as extensive. The vertical at Auli is around 500m, but from what i heard Gulmarg's vertical is around 1300-1400m.
do u ski or snowboard??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Never been but Gulmarg has a reputation of being awesome in late jan/feb and like pretty much anywhere in the Northern hemisphere hit and miss prior to that so would probably not go in December
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
viv, I ski. I think December might be a bit early for me to go. I will be skiing in Utah/Tahoe from mid Jan to end Feb. So, I am thinking of going to Gulmarg 2nd half of March.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
your right december would be a bit early. The season in gulmarg starts from mid december and goes on till april, but the best time to ski there is in january/february, since this is when the place sees the most snow.
crusader, are u planning on going by yourself or do you have a group thats planning on going? and for how long do u plan on being in gulmarg??
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
viv, I have got no fixed plan at the moment and going for someone to go with me. Please check pm.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey Viv

I was also planning to go to Gulmarg in January. I got my vacations uptil 29th Jan. So was planning to go for perhaps 10 days maybe 10th to 20th...I What is your plan?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
viv092, I'd seriously think hard about going to Gulmarg in December. I was there for six weeks in 2011, arriving 12th Jan and they only opened the second phase of the gondola for the first time that year on 15th iirc although obviously every year is different. The trees below Phase One and then down to Tangmarg are fun but pretty mellow and you want to ski Apharwat if you're making the trip.

If you're there for a bit you might want to think about buying a season pass too - sounds extravagant but is still cheap by European/US standards and they only sell single gondola ride tickets otherwise and don't open the ticket office for Phase Two till it's actually running that day, so after a storm you'll be hitting a big queue. Plus the Kashmiris don't like queuing so you'll then get snaked in the line... My mate and I bought season passes and were pretty much in one of the first couple of gondolas every time it opened up.

I also personally wouldn't consider going to Gulmarg without a touring set up as the area under the gondola gets tracked very quickly, but there is endless terrain if you can access it. I'd definitely reccomend getting a guide too.

Am very jealous, some epic skiing to be had!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
viv092, Hi Viv, I have some friend living out in India that might be interested in joining you. I also plan to go out this winter or next to visit them so would be great to meet up if you are interested. Send me a PM here or over on my facebook page with more details of your plan if you would like to arrange something. Very Happy

Just finished reading the whole thread. If any others that mentioned they may be thinking of going out are interested in getting together, please also send me a PM here or over on facebook and maybe we could make a group that would be cool.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey Snowcrazy

Im interested to join you guys if you plan on going to gulmarg in January. Do let me know whats the plan and how many people interested.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidferns7, hi, I am waiting to hear from my friends that live out there, but if you are interested in joining us, send me a PM with your contact details. Dates have not been fixed yet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've been organising ski trips to Gulmarg for the past 5 winters. Over the past couple of years the snows have arrived mid to late January and so late January to end February would be our recommended time to be there. I'll also endorse some of the other comments: having a touring set up is definitely recommended. As is having a guide. Gulmarg is big mountain country and after heavy snowfall there is big avalanche risk. There are few facilities in Gulmarg and limited apres-ski. I'd recommend staying in one of the better hotels e.g. Highlands Park, Nedous. Feel free to get in touch for more advice / recommendations.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi - I'd love to ski in Gulmarg. Must be a huge buzz to ski in the Himalayas.
Any ideas on total cost and minimum time needed for a trip from the UK?
Are you looking at something like 10 days and £1500, or maybe it's nearer £2,000 for everything (flights, accom, liftpass, ski hire, food etc?).
Thanks.
Neil Neige
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm also interested in skiing Gulmarg this season, can you keep me up to speed on what you find out. much appreciated.
latest report
viv092, andsnowcrazy, pms sent. I am hoping to go about 3 Feb for 10ish days. Been looking at Gulmarg Cloudski and Ski Himalaya. Nothing planned yet though there is a price advantage in room share with Ski Himalaya. So if anyone wants to join in for that date let me know.
ski holidays
hi everyone sorry for the late reply. i plan on going in early february sometime, so pm me if you are interested. i have spoken to the owner of alpine ski shop and he is willing to do all the arrangements in regards to accommodation, equipment, lift passes, guides, and transportation to and from the airport in srinagar
latest report
Neil Neige, please check your pm, i have sent you some details on prices
snow report
Thanks Viv and for the PM. I was wanting to include the return travel in my £1500, though. I don't know if that's realistic. Would've thought the two return flights plus transfers to Gulmarg would eat up the best part of £1,000.
snow report
i will be in gulmarg from the 25th of january till the 29th. pm me if you will be in gulmarg on those dates
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy