Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal Snow Report 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
Might as well kick this off now, I'm sure someone can add some glacier reports whilst we are waiting the coming of the new season. Noticed that the snowline was back down to 1500m last Wednesday, tho all gone again now Sad

Roll on Dec 29. And Jan 19.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Woohoo! Went sking on Hintertux today Very Happy
Remarkably good snow conditions. Great skiing as far as the Tuxer Fernerhaus. The snow was a bit firm first thing, then between 10 and 12 was just the right amount of soft, after that it got a bit sticky... Just as you would expect on a glacier in June!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SCHI HEIL!!!

http://youtube.com/v/JZw0WBHjl-Y
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just got back from skiing at Hintertux. Very Happy The first run, from the top, could probably be described as a dusting of snow on a firm base. Plenty of grip, though a bit noisy to ski on. Once that ear bashing was over, the rest of the skiing was great. Good snow, some sunshine, then some cloud and flat light. The snow stayed in good condition as it didn't get too warm. I skied down to the Tuxer Fernerhaus for my last run. It was a little narrow in places, but good skiing all the way.
Rumour has it that more snow is coming next week... So, that will be nice Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Counting the days to 29 Dec (and to 19 Jan). And quite probably to Easter.

I take it the Glacier is a bit parky first week in Jan?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I was there a couple of years ago in the second or third week in Jan. The Glacier was noticably colder than the rest of the area when we visited, notably the winds which seemed to blast through some of the higher areas.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
been there in jan . yes a bit colder but still ok. we normally wait for the first sunny day and head straight up there .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Temperature inversion at Hintertux today... 2C outside my house, 7C at the top station. Snow was excellent with the odd patch of glacier ice to add interest. The run to the Tuxer Fernerhaus is getting better though we still preferred to ski off the side of the piste. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
anyone there this weekend, going next Thursday for the weekend and wondering how much snow there has been this weekend?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lynseyf, You should have plenty: http://www.bergfex.at/hintertux/wetter
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
yay have been watching the snow reports but that website is more optimistic than the one I was using. More snow than I expected in Munich as well, someone post some nice snowy skiing pics to get me excited for next week Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello, I was wondering if there are any ski schools or instructors in Mayrhofe/Zillertar offering courses of freestyle skiing? Thanks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gman_lt, I came across this link earlier, maybe of interest http://www.mountain-sports-zillertal.com/alpen-winter/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow conditions are pretty good at Hintertux with some more fresh snow last night. The best snow is up the top of the glacier but it is not possible to ski back to the first lift up, think they are saying 50km of slopes open.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

it is not possible to ski back to the first lift up

Which lift do you mean? It was possible to ski to Sommerberg today. It isn't possible to ski to the car park, although as I came down in the gondola this afternoon, I watched some crazy touring dudes (well, I presume they were, they had massive rucksacks on!) giving it a go.
The weather was a little surprising today. As I left home it was pouring with rain and I was expecting poor visibility and snow on the glacier. As I got up there, there were a few banks of cloud drifting around, but otherwise it was clear and sunny. Then in the space of 20 minutes, it went from blue sky, to very windy, horizontal snowstorm and no visibility, and then back to blue sky. The random storm chased quite a few people into the restaurants and out of the weather, so for those of us who stayed out, afterwards was great!
The snow was lovely both on and off piste. Hero snow = the kind of snow that makes you think you can ski like a hero Very Happy
snow report
sorry the not shouldn't have been there, meant to say it is possible to ski to the first lift up which would be Sommerberg Smile
snow report
I see Hochfugen opened this weekend in glorious conditions. (Not that I am glued to the Zillertal webcams or anything)
snow conditions
Quote:

(Not that I am glued to the Zillertal webcams or anything)

hahahahaha

thank god, I thought it was just me.....
snow report
Ghost Dog, Oh yeah... I forgot to update this... Too busy skiing Toofy Grin
Saturday was sunny but very, very cold in the shade. The snow was a mixture of man-made and fresh, so very grippy in places and surprising in others. Off the piste was fun but you had to know where the rocks were, the benefits of walking around in the summer were clear.
Sunday was snowing and absolutely freezing... The snow was good though Laughing
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
... you had to know where the rocks were, the benefits of walking around in the summer were clear.

Definitely true! Really helps to have walked and hiked up the slopes before all the traps get covered by nice snow!!!
snow conditions
Brr! Cold, cold, cold! Good, grippy snow though... And more coming tonight Toofy Grin
ski holidays
SaraJ wrote:
Brr! Cold, cold, cold! Good, grippy snow though... And more coming tonight Toofy Grin

Good! Sounds like an excellent start to the season. Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Returned to Hochfügen after an absence of about 20 years. I had forgotten how great it is. Despite being extremely cold in the morning (I believe: I didn't arrive till 11:00) and also later on in the shade, it was a bluebird day to start off with and even warm in the sun. This was the morning on the Lamark slopes...

I met SaraJ for the first time Smile and midday she led us to the Wedelhütte for refreshments. In the afternoon I skied with others and we got as far as the Schnee-Express lift in the Hochzillertal-Kaltenbach area before turning back towards Hochfügen. By that time it had clouded over and was cold. Here is a view looking down to Hochfügen from the Holzalm...

snow report
espri, I like your first photo Very Happy It doesn't look like that today though... The weather has been varying from lightly snowing to absolutely dumping over the past few days. The snow conditions are amazing. So that's nice Smile
ski holidays
Hmm... Well skiing on Christmas Day was not much of a treat this year... It's been warm for the past couple of days which is now a frozen ice sheet with death cookies to make life interesting. Hey ho! More snow is due on Thursday,... Looking forward to it Smile
snow report
Turned rather warm last few days, was pissing down Thursday to Saturday, was snowing a bit on hill higher up. Hope it improves soon, on way back in a fortnight.
ski holidays
It snowed all day on Saturday in Hochfügen. Sunny today Smile
snow report
After snowing all day on Friday, the clouds have broken up a little. There's still the odd random snowflake floating past and bits of clouds kicking around. Hero snow on piste (and no people!) Light, fluffy snow off piste and loads of fat ski, back seat, straight liners. They couldn't handle it once it was tracked out... It was great after they'd gone Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
3 weeks to go keep the snow falling. snowHead
snow conditions
Bit murky on the zell am ziller side, but nice and sunny in gerlos. Just making good use of the free WiFi that's all over the mountain. Time to sort pics...
snow report
just checked berfex forecast for mayrhofen , 41cm for wednesday. i hope thats right. Shocked
latest report
Should have said earlier... Snow was not bad - fresh on top of slightly hard scrapy. Better in zell, but a bit bumpy. Run to valley in gerlos must be snow cannon snow? And there's some nice piste side fluff.

Kaltenbach tomorrow I think.
snow conditions
Forecast for this week looks like snow all week (inc Sat which is a pain as will slow traffic down) then blue skies. Fingers crossed, back in the Hoff Saturday.
snow conditions
Ghost Dog wrote:
Forecast for this week looks like snow all week (inc Sat which is a pain as will slow traffic down) then blue skies. Fingers crossed, back in the Hoff Saturday.

dont wear the snow away . there in 3 weeks snowHead i expect updates every hour while you are there Very Happy
snow report
From the way it's snowing I think there's little chance of that. We might drink al the beer and willys tho'.

Have to laugh at reported snow depths, Mayrhofen at top 1m, Finkenburg 2m. Same hill.
snow report
Went on the ski bus from Munich Saturday 12th. Great conditions cold, fluffy patches of untouched powder. DONT ski down to Kaltenbach at dusk though, machine made nasty sugar lumps with 100 skiers per foot. Now down in munich working Mad but fresh powder is falling here in town.
latest report
agree 100% about that run down to Kaltenbach. Basically carnage with too many people out of their depth, in heavy bumps. Was especially bad with bodies every where trying to get back up and retrieve skis in the narrower section near the bottom.

Probably a good run down early in the day?

Did that one on Sunday. Saw some Kneissl Black Stars paired with Head something or other outside the Platzl Alm... anyone from here?
latest report
Just back from an epic week skiing in the ziller valley,Conditions really couldnt of bee better.Staid in Mayrhofen and skied ahorn/Penken on sunday which was pretty good,Monday Zell aam ziller and that really is some place Alot quiter than penken with less boarders to wreck the pistes!! and some lovely reds and blacks to test u out,Tuesday saw us hit the hintertux glacier which had very windy and blizzard like conditions near the top but much better at middle station down,Skiing was petty good but best leave the glacier for a clear day.Wednesday we hit Kaltenbach/Hochfugen which was simillar to zell but would agree about vieews above on the red back to town especially the floodlight section.Hit the apres hard on wed night and staid local on thursday skiing penken and ahorn.Friday was the jewll re weather clear blue skies all day so we hit zell again and it was powder all the way.Staid at the obermair in mayrhofen and its a great little hotel centeral to everything.The one tip id give anyone Mayrhofen is to explore the alley and not just stay on the overcrowded pistes of the penken
latest report
After a day of constant snow and zero visibility on Friday, Saturday dawned cold, crisp, bright and sunny. The pistes first thing looked perfect... Groomed last night with a sprinkling of fresh snow on top. Unfortunately, I had to work until lunchtime so I missed getting fresh tracks. When I got out there I had a great time blasting through the chopped up snow that looked like it might be bumpy but in reality was so soft and light that it jumped out of the way Toofy Grin
There are a few photos here http://alpinefreedom.blogspot.com/2013/01/amazing-day-in-hochfugen.html if anyone wants to see where I work Smile
snow report
Snowing again Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy