Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites late April (some snow interest)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Cathy and I got back 3 days ago from walking in the Dolomites (after 2 days in Venice).
We stayed at Hotel Cesa Padon near Arabba, which I highly recommend if you have transport - it is very good value, the food is tremendous and the views arent bad:

After a bad start to their ski season they had heavy snowfalls in April just as their season was ending, and then another 10cm 2 days before we arrived.
The pistes in Arabba looked skiable

and there was a ski track down the edge of a piste near Passo Pordoi (not sure if you can see it)

The Pordoi lift reopened on our second day (though most of the rest don't open till late June) Still plenty of snow up there

and views

We followed the tracks of 2 skiers and a snowboarder till we could see the refuge and we could see that they had climbed up from there:

We did the Sella Ronda by car- this is approaching Passo Sella

We did a splendid horizontal walk from the pass

and the next day after visitin Cortina did another from the pass just north of it up to a lake

There were 1st world war remains by the path - tunnels into the mountain and blockhouses.

However our best and hardest walk was the next one from Passo Giao north to Cinque Torri and then east back down to the road where I thumbed a lift back to the pass where we had left our hired car. The views were splendid as usual (this was near the start)

and as always there was a profusion of many kinds of wild flowers

sometimes we had to wade through snow

and sometimes it was steep (see the vertical slot between the rock faces in the middle of the photo, ending with a patch of snow at the top (over crude very steep log steps) which was a bit hairy). The rock tower central on this photo was by the top of the Cinque Torri lifts.

The next day was wet and we went to Bolzano which has a beautiful pedestrianised centre with many houses dating to the 16th and 17th centuries in a Tyrolian style (the Dolomites used to be part of Austria but was given to Italy after the first world war. The people mostly speak German in Bolzano).

There are also some fine churches - one with these cloisters

On the way home the rain turned to heavy snow half way up going over the Passo Pordoi

On the final day we did another walk near the Marmolada mountain and as we headed off to Venice airport we passed below the ski area where there were 3 ski tracks doing hundreds of turns all the way down the glacier and on down as far as we could see in the new snow (though the lift was still closed). But the battery on my camera chose that moment to go flat.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 26-05-12 9:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just realised that 2 photos hadn't registered. OK now.
Not really much for anyone to respond to but I find it interesting walking where I have skied (or not, in the cases where it was still too snowy!).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, looks great, thanks for the pics, must have been interesting deciding which paths were OK or not given the amount of snow still around.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, Apart from anything else, just lovely pictures to look at Very Happy And I can see what you mean about the contrast between skiing and walking/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Forgot to mention we saw lots of wildlife - especially marmots and 4 chamoix close-up, two a mother and young we came over the top of the steep climb at Cinque Torri and discovered just starting down a gully on the other side.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mm. Very nice. Looking forward to being back in the Alps in summer. just love all the flowers!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Great pictures. I'd love to go back in the summer to do some walking. Cinque Torri was an Italian artillery position firing at the Laguzui and Sasso stri during WW1. Even in winter you can see some of the restored emplacemnets just to the left of the 4 person chairlift , just before the top.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peter S, also at the top of the Laguzuoi cable car there are trenches and emplacements you can visit - especially if you stay the night in the refuge up there and ski down off piste. See Horizon's TR on TGR of our Dolomites ski holiday from a few years ago: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/50606-TR-Dolomites-17-25-March?highlight=Dolomites (probably most of you have seen it before).
pam w - more flowers:
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The summer I worked in the Dolomites was the best summer of my life ... truely special; all of it. Looks like you had a wonderful time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy