Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What is your ultimate, postcard-perfect ski village?

Poster: A snowHead
A place that is so charming, perfect that the skiing can be secondary as you soak up the ambiance and scenery. I'm talking the kind of village that looks like it belongs in a snow-globe. What place ticks all the boxes for you? Is it Hallstatt, Murren, Alpbach, Saas Fee, San Martino di Castrozza, St-Martin-de-Belleville or some other alpine gem?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Murren or Wengen would both qualify, personally I find that Wengen gets more sun and looks to my eyes slightly prettier than Murren
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Les Arcs 1950?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lake Louise - views from the top are pretty special.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Filthyphil30k wrote:
Les Arcs 1950?

If Disney did the Alps.

Lake Louise - the actual village is more or less literally a truckstop so I dispute part of Angus's claim. From the ski hill the Trans Canada is remarkably non obtrusive however and the views extensive and spectacular (as of course they are from the Chateau (as long as you're looking out wink ).

I'd be surprised if the winner lay outside Austria with their onion domes and cow pastures but Wengen's pretty nice. Lots of Swiss resorts are however a right hotch potch.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alpbach.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Les Gets?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
blahblahblah, Filthyphil30k, forgot which sock you are?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Galena
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Filzmoos usually picks up that title in Austria. Judging by the number of Wally Trolleys taking the masses there in summer, it seems to have some attractions at all times of the year. Skiing is great for beginners but a little lacking for the more adventurous

My village is also pretty good but we only have langlauf and ski touring these days, no lifts open in the winter here! Reit in Winkel is gorgeous as well with good skiing of all varieties.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Steve Angus,

The concrete monstrosity is hideous close up
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ARC 1600. Well the OP did say "ski" so obviously the skiing is the top priority. And no Arc 1950 is pretty hideous looking.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes definitely.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mürren
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Evolene
snow report
I found Innsbruck stunningly beautiful. While it's a small city not a village, and the skiing is not EXACTLY from the city, it's close enough to be almost considered a ski village... after all, the OP did say, skiing can be secondary
snow report
Saas Fee, Wengen or Zermatt for me. Ortisei/ St Ulrich is another contender.
ski holidays
Zermatt for me, never get tired of looking at the Matterhorn
ski holidays
Grimentz in Switzerland is particularly attractive
snow conditions
Spyderman, I'd agree about the Matterhorn but I'm not a fan of Zermatt itself, I think it has become overdeveloped and is more like a town now than a village, it's the price a place pays for having a wonderful location, everyone wan'ts to live there.

Many of the Austrian resorts are indeed very pretty but few have the majestic peaks of say the French or Swiss Alps, sadly many French resorts still have the concrete boxes erected in the 60's and later, for me I think the Swiss alpine villages are likely to make several of the top 10 places for having stunning views from a pretty village, but Austria and Italy will also be in the running and I dare say a french resort or two as well, just not any of the ones I have been to Laughing
ski holidays
Villages I have been to:- I would add Seefeld, Cortina and COlfosco to the list

Been in summer but not winter but I would imagine Mayrhofen would like nice in winter with lots of snow about

Not been but have heard that Madonna Di Campiglio is really nice in winter time
latest report
Quote:

Many of the Austrian resorts are indeed very pretty but few have the majestic peaks of say the French or Swiss Alps

Heiligenblut does both

snow report
St Christoph, Stuben, Heiligen Blut, Zug, Klosters, Braunwald
latest report
Kals am Grossglockner
snow report
Great responses, so far--some of these I've never heard of before!

Probably the most stunning for me is Santa Maddalena in Val di' Funes, Italy [though the skiing in the immediate area is very limited].

snow report
Spyderman nails it for me. It has got to be Zermatt and those stunning views of the Matterhorn. Skiing area isn't too bad either. Oh, and the mountain restaurants.
snow conditions
Vgunn, great pics, especially the superb green Santa Maddalena one Very Happy
latest report
Reberty.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hemel
ski holidays
Aviemore Very Happy
ski holidays
Vgunn, I just looked at those and said a rude word out loud. That looks an amazing place...
snow report
Jamster wrote:
Vgunn, I just looked at those and said a rude word out loud. That looks an amazing place...

Santa Maddalena has a small nursery slope and sits around 1300 meters. You are a 20 min. bus ride away to Plose and just a bit further to Alta Badia, Kronplatz, and Val Gardena.
latest report
tongue in cheek
1970s postcards of the Avimore centre were something to behold
they were so proud of their concrete jungle snowHead
snow report
Bonneval sur Arc
snow conditions
volklwaffen wrote:
Bonneval sur Arc

Lovely old bit, a few ugly appartment blocks near the lifts though.
ski holidays
My home village...
Outside my front door is a ski mountain with a massive 8m vert. eco friendly non-lift system. season running from 8 am to about 10 am on one or two days a year...but no transfer...no airport needed...always available...no lift costs...ski from the door...excellent mountain restaurant...perfect en-suite accommodation...even lets my pets stay...
Very scenic too. People have even done paintings of my 'hotel' and church behind.
latest report
TBar

indeed. Seems more and more people are turning up. Then I could say l'Ecot. But then again, mention will need to be made of the weirdos building swimming pools around their newly acquired "chalet" when water is lacking all around, especially for the cattle.
snow conditions
I love Bormio - not a typical alpine village that most of us think of (ie Swiss style) but a lovely old town, narrow streets, lovely buildings, all overshadowed by beautiful mountains.
snow conditions
Vgunn wrote:
the skiing can be secondary

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

troll!!!!!
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
Vgunn wrote:
the skiing can be secondary

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

troll!!!!!

I know, I know. But with a torn ACL and broken fibula, the skiing is out for me. Injured on the Cisles/La Pela run above Selva.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy