Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When to get cheap flights to Denver??

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to book flights to Denver for a trip next Easter. Am a newbie to online transatlantic flight buying so not really sure about if/when prices will drop. Originally thoght that prices would be low as they are released (as per Euro flights) but that doesn't seem to be the case with the cheapest fares currently about £650 - £700 with 1 stop. Compare this to last autumn (when this trip first took roots), when the fares for the same period of this year were significantly lower, from around £450.

So, could I, should I, expect a price drop and sit tight for a while, if so is there typically a point at which the airlines drop prices? Any regular USA travellers who could offer any insight? thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To be honest, it's all a bit of a lottery.

Expect flights to be available for you to reserve around 11 months in advance. Some airlines will release their cheapest inventory immediately, others will hold back for flash sales and the like.

I would say GBP650-700 is generally the cheapest and if you see a deal cheaper and are happy, snap it up. Remember, airport taxes to the US are now around the GBP400 mark per economy return ticket.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BA do periodic sales which might shave a bit off as do other carriers. Generally these days anything under £500 to all but NY or Florida is pretty good and doesn't hang around long.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for that. Budget revision v2.1 in progress.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
smithski, I'd always considered Easter as a 'bit late' for Colorado......would love to go their with the kids one Easter, will be interesting to see how you get on with it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, It is later than ideal, but is the only time we can go. For sure will let you know how it turns out.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn't there some website that will e-mail you price changes? Maybe sign up for that for a few months and see if you can snatch up a sale?

Next year's Easter is in March. I wouldn't call that "late".
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc, Only just, 31st Mar is Easter Sun. School hols are 1st 2 weeks of April though...

Yes I could get price alerts but if it's not normal for prices to drop to tje levels I saw last year then I could be tempted to book early when the best choice of flights are available...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
smithski, Try this http://www.kayak.co.uk/flights?ispredir=true

From what I've seen it's a lottery as Boosterfaceman, says, so do exactly as you are doing, work out the price now, the price you'll pay and keep checking!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
smithski, Also try http://www.skyscanner.net
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks guys, already have quite a few bookmarks including Kayak and Skyscanner. Ultimately there's little difference between them all. The Kayak app for Android is particularly good, other than the fact it cannot magic some nicer prices.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Who knows ? I prefer to use the BA direct flight LHR to DEN as it arrives in the afternoon and avoids the scramble at a US hub. It is £660 return at the moment, it was £430 in the sale for last Jan. I suppose the fares will be higher for next season. I am gambling there will be another sale and will jump in if i can get it at £500. I guess it depends on how slow seat take-up is and how much they need cash. Dependent on your exact date fares at Easter could well be at a premium. It's your call.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think they will be getting cheaper. Do you think oil is going to drop? As mentioned above also the UK airport taxes are huge. Many Brits actually seem to start their transatlantic legs from Dublin now but there are no direct flights to Denver
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is usually a BA sale at end of August/early September, although flights which are a long time away often aren't included in the sale
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I would say GBP650-700 is generally the cheapest and if you see a deal cheaper and are happy, snap it up. Remember, airport taxes to the US are now around the GBP400 mark per economy return ticket.

Wow airfares have gone up in the last three years! I used to fly to San Fran about 2x a year for a couple of years. Used to bay between £300 and £400 in the BA sales to go direct, or the same with Delta and a change at Atlanta
latest report
Lechbob wrote:
Who knows ? I prefer to use the BA direct flight LHR to DEN as it arrives in the afternoon and avoids the scramble at a US hub. It is £660 return at the moment, it was £430 in the sale for last Jan. I suppose the fares will be higher for next season. I am gambling there will be another sale and will jump in if i can get it at £500. I guess it depends on how slow seat take-up is and how much they need cash. Dependent on your exact date fares at Easter could well be at a premium. It's your call.

The January sale with BA is pertty unbeatable from experience, but it would be a big risk leaving it until next year to book, especially as they are the only direct carrier to Denver.

If it was me, I would work out my budget and stick to it. Once you find flights you want and are happy with, book, kick back, don't check prices again and start look forward to your trip.
latest report
If you are skiing more than a few days you may save money by locking into a season pass now as the price goes up soon. The Rocky Mountain super plus pass (Winter Park, Copper + 6days at Steamboat) lock in for $49 down is $469 total is a bargain as day passes are expensive, particularly at Steamboat. The Epic/ Epic Local pass at $49 down and $659/$509 total saves you a lot if you ski more than a week.
snow report
Lechbob, yeah that's part of the plan, getting the Epic Local pass for 2 adults, 1 teenager and 1 child works out about £1040 - a scary amount but will be skiing for probably 11 or 12 days so works out decent value.
If bought before 28 May (with $49 p/p down but committed to pay balance in Sept) prices are guranteed.

Quote:

If it was me, I would work out my budget and stick to it. Once you find flights you want and are happy with, book, kick back, don't check prices again and start look forward to your trip.

yeah right !!
ski holidays
Lechbob wrote:

Going out on Mar 29 (or 30th if significantly cheaper) - returning Sat 13th Apr. BA directs arecurrnetly £880 - too much Sad
latest report
smithski, don't suppose you have any Avios or BA miles? You can convert Tesco vouchers to Avios.....
snow report
smithski, If you do accept a hub stop then Skyscanner is showing flights form £605 return.
ski holidays
kitenski, have a few StarAlliance but nothing that will make a dent
achilles, good spot, if connections times were better would consider this, but gonna watch closely over the next couple of weeks.
snow report
smithski, I have been told it is sometimes cheaper to book from Europe, it's a bit of hassle, but have you looked at costs going from France, Germany or Holland???
snow report
smithski, we went this Easter. Booked through Dial A Flight, went Air Canada via Toronto. Think we paid £560 each. Was a good option. I had a recent thread on this with lots of useful advice from other SHs, might be worth a look for you, it's here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=85457&highlight=airline+denver&start=40
ski holidays
Icelandair.co.uk has a lot of flights to Denver for 640 GBP, from LHR. 570 GBP from Glasgow.
ski holidays
I've booked to go to Denver next Feb, cost nearly £650 per person, including something like a £22 credit card fee rolling eyes

Thats going from Manchester - Chicago - Denver, with about a 3hr stopover in Chicago, and will get us into Denver (hopefully) at about 5:15pm.

I had looked into going from Dublin - Cheaper but the cost of getting there and potentially a night in a hotel meant it wasn't worth it.

Also looked into going from Reykjavic, as there are direct flights from there to Denver, and Easyjet now go to Reykjavic. But the times of the flights to Denver didn't suit us.

Hope you find what you want! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy