Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No replies from accommodation queries.

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a few apartments and b&bs for next Feb in westendorf. Have sent a few enquiries. Via the village Site. But have had no replies via email. I have ever mailed a couple of different ones through my own email and had replies. Any reason for this. Should I just email them privately
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mattiwilkin, possible they may be closed and enjoying an out of season holiday. Also could mean the enquiry form on the website isn't working of course. If you need a speedy reply, I would get in touch privately.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mattiwilkin, going back to your earlier thread, is this the same request (a long weekend?). If so they will likely ignore or simply say full until much closer to the time.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes but did offer to pay for a full week. Reckon the Site must be down
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Should I just email them privately

mattiwilkin, that's what I always do. And their site won't be down, they just think you're a bit too keen and difficult. Either that or they are toasting their dangly bits in Croatia by now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mattiwilkin, very likely on holiday. 2 hotel related businesses I work with in Austria are closed during May, back on 1st June.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whenever I go anywhere on holiday myself, I am stunned at how often this is the case. Some people clearly don't need the money!

I feel bad if I get an email enquiry in the morning and don't get a reply off until the evening...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevomcd, same here, but it seems to be quite usual at the end of the season in Austria. I'd at least answer emails, even if I wasn't open or in the office
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

it seems to be quite usual at the end of the season in Austria

same in France. It's downtime. Wait a few weeks and try again - though you might get a better result on the telephone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They simply switch off for 2 - 4 weeks as for some it is really the only time they have before the summer season starts. The next blank period will be somewhere end of October/November. When you work day in, day out for 5 months at a go, you do simply walk away from all work related stuff, even if you do not go away.

Just because the UK is connection obsessed, do not expect everywhere to be the same! Twitter, email, phone notification that you have an email, everything is switched off so they can relax. They should be back sometime soon as the first regions start their Whitsun Holidays.

Alternatively, as in some French resorts, the owners may have just shut up shop for the summer and left for their other property on the Med somewhere, where they will remain all summer.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Places geared up for markets other than the British perhaps don't expect people to be making bookings for next year now. I am trying to book an entire apartment building (6 apartments) for a family holiday next Easter. I've been in touch intermittently since February - spoke to the woman concerned (it's owned by an insurance company) a few days ago; she said they won't even have a "planning" for 2013 for some time yet. The apartment rental agencies will be gearing up for next seasons rentings in late June, probably.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used the St Anton Tourism site to search availability for a single room over new year. Emailed eight different places, about half replied and I got sorted out. I would just keep trying but don't expect all places to reply.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Our French agent hasn't even asked us if our apt is available for letting for next ski season yet...you're a bit early. Try in September.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Working with French agencies in the past, the winter 'planning' was rarely available before mid/late summer, and the summer before April....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually, one of the businesses I want to work with has answered the email, even thought I got an "out of office" saying they were closed till 1st June - which is the date I want to see them - phew!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Just because the UK is connection obsessed, do not expect everywhere to be the same!

You are kidding right? Almost every single time I have something to deal with UK companies, mail is last thing I use... simply because noone bothers to answer... for weeks! You guys still live in world of phones and faxes, where internet might be great for Facebook and stuff, but not for business. For business, let's keep to traditional stuff like phone and fax. Wink
ski holidays
primoz, Check my location! Laughing
latest report
Samerberg Sue I agree that people need time off but if you're running a business then then you should at least have some sort of way of telling your prospective customers that you're away. I can set an 'out of office' acknowledgement for when I'm not at work so why is would it be so difficult in this day and age for hoteliers to do the same. It's not that difficult - even on Hotmail. Happy

However, for me the most important thing about booking for next season is the flights. The accommodation can wait for a few months.
snow report
Flights booked, and one really good appartment got back to me. Will give it till june then book from the choices have then. the one i have looks good though. i know its early but for 8 blokes on a budget for a long weekend think the earlier sorted the better. I hope!!
ski holidays
geetee, the Austrians really don't work that way, as pam w, and Samerberg Sue, say they go on holiday now and switch off. Not a problem as far as I am concerned!
snow report
kitenski Shame. Like I said, not that difficult to click a few clicks, type a short message and then off you go on holiday and forget about it all until you get back but at least anyone emailing you knows that you're away.
snow conditions
Samerberg Sue wrote:
primoz, Check my location! Laughing

I know Wink I spend half of winter around those places, yet I never had problems booking hotel there. But there is one thing... A lot of Austrians don't speak, or maybe they don't want to speak, English. It happened quite few times for me already, there was no reply to my English mail (even if my English writing suck, it still suck less then writing German... talking is different but writing German is pain in the a** for me), but I got reply same day when I resent mail written in German.
ski holidays
primoz, yep, I'll agree with that. Being fluent in German is usually the best way of getting a response quickly, but I would never send off a request for accommodation at this time of year for NEXT season! They just cannot be @rsed, especially if it is in English. When I want to book a room anywhere, I just pick up the phone. I'm still surprised (but not shocked) by how many B&B places in and around big ski centres do not have email.

I think you are wrong though about the numbers of people working in the tourist industry who do not have a smattering of English. English has been compulsory in Austrian schools for quite a while now, so it is really only the oldest generation that have poor or no English skills. and you cannot graduate the Hotel & Tourism Schools without a degree of fluency in at least 2 languages besides German, English being the compulsory one.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:

I think you are wrong though about the numbers of people working in the tourist industry who do not have a smattering of English. English has been compulsory in Austrian schools for quite a while now, so it is really only the oldest generation that have poor or no English skills. and you cannot graduate the Hotel & Tourism Schools without a degree of fluency in at least 2 languages besides German, English being the compulsory one.

So why can they not be @rsed to reply to emails in English but will reply same day to emails in German? Are they just not that bothered about the British customer because they have customers from lots of different countries?
latest report
miranda, they are on holiday and don't work during their vacations.

And yes, probably the Germans, Dutch, Belgium and Scandinavian customer base is more important to them. Many will have already booked their preferred accommodation at the time they checked out this season.
snow conditions
There also seems to be huge variability in the usefulness or accuracy of central Tourist Offices. For example St Anton is frankly appalling when it comes to accomodation, no accurate information on availability nor a central booking engine. When I compare it to central booking engines of other major resorts like Chamonix, Cervinia, Engelberg it is in the stone age and even neighbouring West Tirol puts it to shame.

Tourist Offices should be able to efficiently bypass the language issues but it seems there is no willingness from accomodation owners in the Arlberg to actually make life easier for prospective new customers.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:

And yes, probably the Germans, Dutch, Belgium and Scandinavian customer base is more important to them. Many will have already booked their preferred accommodation at the time they checked out this season.

Indeed that is what we have found, as we check out of our hotel in austria they will hold the same room and the same week for the following year. They know which regulars come which week and which room they take.
ski holidays
fatbob, I've always found them pretty helpful. I guess experiences vary. The facility where you put the dates you are looking for in and wait for replies from owners has generally worked well for me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
Samerberg Sue wrote:

Indeed that is what we have found, as we check out of our hotel in austria they will hold the same room and the same week for the following year. They know which regulars come which week and which room they take.

Yup.
snow report
I get that some people don't want to respond to emails whilst on holiday and I also get that you have repeat customers booking the same thing each year... what I didn't really get is the 'they're all really good at English but only reply to German emails promptly and CBA to do so to English emails' bit.
snow report
Same here, used it a few times.

nozawaonsen wrote:
fatbob, I've always found them pretty helpful. I guess experiences vary. The facility where you put the dates you are looking for in and wait for replies from owners has generally worked well for me.
snow conditions
Folks, winter is over. May & June are the mud season they are done with the season . Many Austrians just want to forget the winter & they do not think about the next one until September.

Also, the summer is when they renovate there businesses,hotels etc so that would be priority No1.

Austria does has a very substantial customer (germans,dutch scandinavians) base of "repeat bookings" therefore alot of Gasthof,B&B's,Hotels already know they are good for next season .

Best time to get reaction for bookings is September.

Re. Language. The older generation do not speak English (why should they) except in the international resorts like St Anton & Kitzbuhel however English is spoken widely by Austrians under the age of 30. IMO much better than the Germans.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:

Admittedly I was looking for accomodation at <7days notice but that is when I thought Tourist Offices as a sort of clearing house would come into their own. They basically admitted that anything the website was telling me on availability was probably wrong and I'd be better off contacting all the accomodation providers directly. We ended up staying in a very nice appartment just up the road in West Tirol that was a doddle to book as a consequence. and 4 nights came to about the price of a single night in what was left in St A.
snow report
fatbob, sounds frustrating. For what it's worth acvording to the Austrian office of statistics there is a continuing trend towards an average stay of four days. Over time this (and the fact the internet offers a technical solution) may I suspect lead to a shift in clearing house options. That's against a trend of increasing demand overall (a record number of domestic overnight stays for 11/12) which meant that 2011/12 in Austria was the second highest season in terms of overnight stays on record. Mind you as discussed at length elsewhere this is still unlikely to mean that hoteliers will want to forego the opportunity of a week long stay by offering up shorter stays until the last minute.
latest report
miranda, they may have good spoken skills, but have been so penalised at school and college on their written skills that they are loath to even try. The grades students achieve in their own language at school are consistently quite a lot lower than those for their acquired ones. Getting a 3 (roughly a C ) in their own as well as their acquired language is considered by many to quite an achievement. No such thing as grade inflation over here! That's why a lot of us are saying try telephoning as it usually gets a better response.

How good are your written French skills? I am fluent in spoken French, but am very reluctant to write any because I simply lack the practise. Same goes with my written German, I can do it, but I know it is not that good and is probably littered with all kinds of errors. For both countries I rely on the telephone and do not expect to get a response in English just because it is my native language. I start in German or French and if the response is in English, or they want to use English, then I switch.
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:

How good are your written French skills?

Not bad at all - better than my spoken French (although I really feel that I've made a massive leap with that over the last few months).

I was just curious as primoz seemed to suggest lack of response to English emails because of a lack of English language ability and you seemed to be suggesting reluctance to reply to English emails had another cause. Either way, it's too soon to book your winter holiday with some people, so enjoy the summer and they'll talk to you in September seems to be the message!
latest report
I don't really want to start any transatlantic flaming, but I really wish that sleepy European accommodation providers would catch up with the presumably much more competitve North American market. As a consumer, I want instant information about price and availability (emails aren't instant and I don't bother with accommodation providers that rely on email unless I'm desperate); I want to be able to book accommodation on the dates I want for the duration that suits me (none of this daft forced Saturday changeover nonsense, please!); and I want to be able to search on important features like accommodation size in sq m and any requirement to sleep in the lounge (I won't do it).

The technology for this has existed for more than a decade and has been commonplace for North American ski resorts for longer than I can remember. It's mind-boggling that so many small businesses should pay such scant regard to consumers' needs - especially in a recession - and it's eqully mind-boggling that so many customers' indulge the acommodation owners' apathy.
snow conditions
Quote:
I was just curious as primoz seemed to suggest lack of response to English emails because of a lack of English language ability and you seemed to be suggesting reluctance to reply to English emails had another cause. Either way, it's too soon to book your winter holiday with some people, so enjoy the summer and they'll talk to you in September seems to be the message!

The message to me is that they prefer German, Austrian and Swiss customers.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, I'd like the same but it still requires a change in attitude from customers too. There is no doubt that the cozy European model of 1 week Staurday-Saturday holidays works for the vast majority of individual Euro skiers while almost all North Americans would regard it as insane. Personally what seems insane to me is committing myself a long time out to a week long stay in a resort that may have no or limited quality snow when I can relatively easily fly for a long weekend at somewhere decent if the industry were more set up for it. Heavy storms on Wednesdays and Thursdays are what correlate with high skier vists & $ for US resorts.

I've said before that I'd be willing to pay say 6 nights rate for a 4 night Th-Su stay so the challenge is for hoteliers to capitalise on the extra 3 days off it would give them (or monetise those extra nights with a "bargain" short break)
snow conditions
fatbob, make it and they'll come. Sites like Under the Thatch show that a flexible model can work in Britain, and the only reason that I can see why it doesn't work in the Alps is that sleepy European providers don't want their comfortable world disturbed. I've lost count of how many times I've booked a cottage through these people simply because at a time that suits me (usually around midnight!) I can easily find and book a place that suits me on a date that suits me for a duration that suits me. The sleepy guys don't get to see any cash from me, I'm afraid.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy