Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for advice on ski length

Poster: A snowHead
I've been skiing for a couple of years now, had three weeks away and also live in Glasgow so can make it up north for the odd day on the mountains pretty easily. I am confident on blues (mostly parallel) and am venturing onto reds. I can get down reds fine, but am far more cautious than on blues. I currently ski a set of Salomon X Wing Junior ex rental skis that are 150cm long. I am looking to buy new, female specific skis, and have demoed the Dynastar Exlcusive Legend Idylls in 158cm in my local dome. I loved the skis, and though I was a little concerned as they quite a bit longer than what I usually ski, found them fine. My dilemma is this. The guy in the store suggested that if I found the longer ski fine, I should probably go with that one, particularly as I'm looking for a ski that will develop with me. However, it may not be possible to get the 158cm ski due to lack of stock (though I could possibly buy the demo if noone else has already reserved it). The 152cm is, however. in stock in a variety of stores. So I should I hold out for the 158cm or consider the 152cm? I weight around 10 stone, am just under 5 ft 8, and would classify myself as an early intermediate, probably. What do people with more knowledge than me think?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eleanor, ...the chorus of abuse is about to start if I say what I about to say....but here goes.

I have some long things to go into the deep stuff. I have short things for slalom and piste. I am 5' 7", ski technically (20 years), and weight 140lbs - I have some 145cm scramblers for mucking about with the kids, some 150cm volkl sensor 2s as 'day skis' and 150cm 9s oversize Rossignols for hard and fast days. Having skied longer I have never found 150ish to be too short. Far from it, on mega-steeps and bumpfields they are the business. Buy the ex demo 158s at a knock down, or just go for the 152s....

Let the abuse begin.....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"Let the abuse begin....."

valais2, alrighty then.......

Nah! can't be @rsed...... wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
K2 Burning Love can't be beaten.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Eleanor,
i suggest not buying anything and spending the money on ski lessons, once youve improved youll know what ski to get and it will last you longer as you wont improve out of it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Eleanor, the 158s should be about right for your height and weight - if you like how they ski then that's what is important. If you haven't tried the 152s I'd be a little wary of buying them.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Eleanor, I've got the older version (2010) of these skis. They're not rockered, unlike the current version, and they're 152s. But I'm a lot shorter and quite a bit lighter than you, so would have thought that, particularly in the current version, they'd be too short for you and, in any event, would reduce your enjoyment in chopped-up snow and easy off piste, to which you'll probably soon be aspiring. I'm a bit more advanced than you and am just beginning to recognize their limitations - a bit light and flappy on piste and not wide enough for deep snow. I've really enjoyed 2/3 years on them, though, and still do enjoy them up to a point.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Call me old fashioned but at 5'8" which is quite tall for a woman I would saydefinitely 158 or even a size longer especially as you are making great progress. I find longer skis much more stable at speed and more precise in turns and likePedantica, I'm shorter, lighter and I daresay older than you. I ski 158 (but actually liked my old 162s better! )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Huckacliff duckabranch, OP goes skiing for odd days, living in Scotland. She doesn't want to spend time faffing with ski hire - nor indeed paying for it.

OTOH if what you mean is "there's nothing wrong with the skis you've got already" then that might well be true...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why is everone going on about mini-ski.

Elenor, please listen to Huckacliff, think about where you want to be with your skiing. Skis are a rather disposable asset, use them, then move on.

BTW I cannot understand why anyone would want to hire skis, far toooooo expensive unless you got noodles for grey matter.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
theskibob wrote:
....BTW I cannot understand why anyone would want to hire skis

I would suggest you haven't really thought about it, then rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks everyone for the advice. Most seem to be suggesting I should be on a longer ski anyway, so that's what I'm going to look for. Cheers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Red Leon wrote:
theskibob wrote:

far toooooo expensive unless you got noodles for grey matter
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm shorter and lighter than you, a competent but not super adventurous skier and would definitely not go for anything under 158cms. Mine are 163. Buy the demo skis - get money off!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
theskibob wrote:
Red Leon wrote:
theskibob wrote:

far toooooo expensive unless you got noodles for grey matter

Hmmm. Let's say you buy skis for £400 and then take them skiing twice a year for 5 years. Ski carriage is often £35 each way = £70 x 10 trips. Total £750 over 5 years - and you're responsible for servicing the skis.
Or you hire at £75 a week - total £750 over 5 years, you get to ski newly-serviced, new skis each year. And you don;t have to lug a bag around the place.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to ski 4 weeks a year, service the skis yourself, fly BA everywhere, live near the snow or drive there....
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:

Hmmm. Let's say you buy skis for £400 and then take them skiing twice a year for 5 years. Ski carriage is often £35 each way = £70 x 10 trips. Total £750 over 5 years - and you're responsible for servicing the skis.
Or you hire at £75 a week - total £750 over 5 years, you get to ski newly-serviced, new skis each year. And you don;t have to lug a bag around the place.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to ski 4 weeks a year, service the skis yourself, fly BA everywhere, live near the snow or drive there....

Can't fault the basic logic except for the bold which is a big assumption. Hire shops aren't renowned for handing over the latest and greatest to punters and if you want something specific it's a right royal PITA as I discovered in St Anton this year when my luggage was delayed and I scoped out rental shops on similar models in the event I had to hire. I really struggled to locate major category leading skis e.g. S7,Benchettler or similar in a location which probably has a fair demand for them.
snow report
Red Leon, you forgot to factor selling them on after a few years, for > £100 which swings it back in favour of buying...

PS FWIW ski hire costs in Stuben for 2011/12 were 108 Euros (£86) for 3 star skis, 144 Euros (£115) for 4 star skis, up to 240 Euros (£192) for 6 star skis over 6 days.....

For me last season I drove and flew BA, zero transport costs and I service them myself, no brainer! Always buy off season in the sales, and you can sell them on for 50% of what you spent after a few years.
snow conditions
fatbob, kitenski

Gents, I didn't claim that buying makes no sense. I was responding to theskibob's statement, " I cannot understand why anyone would want to hire skis". My contention is that, for the huge number of people who ski one or maybe two weeks a year, always fly and have no specific requirements or preference for unusual skis, hiring makes a lot of sense. Just sayin', is all Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy