Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The week before Christmas - Loads of People

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bogus Junior will be 21 on Boxing Day. As a good snowHead his dearest wish for this landmark birthday is to spend it in the Alps with a select group of his dearest family and friends.

The problem of course is that many of his friends will not be able to tear themselves away from hearth and home in Christmas Week so we hit on the brilliant idea of going the week before.

The challenge is to find a large chalet (or possibly two smaller adjacent ones) for the week of 15 December somewhere high enough that there is reasonable likelihood of decent snow so early in the season.

We are Francophiles, so initial thoughts are Espace Killy or VT. We would like to take 15-20 people and to keep costs a bit more sensible would prefer self-catering (we have a trainee chef in the family). We will expect the guests to get there under their own steam.

We haven't done anything as organised as setting a budget but are thinking around £4-5k for the chalet. Obviously food and drink, lift passes, equipment rentals etc etc wil be on top of that.

Any suggestions out there?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bogusman, we may not have the height you're ideally looking for but do have two chalets (interconnected) that sleep 12 in one, 15 in the other or 27 together and within budget Very Happy We had excellent snow from the end of the first week in December last season, and 1850 is two lifts away. Send me a PM if of interest and I'll be happy to help
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bogusman, I could do something for you in Sainte Foy for that week. Depends on your final numbers, but could get close to your £5k budget INCLUDING food and drink!

Sainte Foy will be open and we have a great early-season snow record, but if the snow is at all dodgy, Tignes is only 15 minutes away - we'd provide transport if required.

Check us out here: www.whiteroomchalet.com/winintro.htm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's the week I've organised a few trips, and given the notice required to get a group of that size organised I would go for either VT or EK, as you've worked out. A couple of times we've driven into resort and others across Europe have had nothing yet, might as well stack the deck in your favour.

£5K for a chalet for 15-20 people is a push, but our trips have totalled something like £400-£450 per head inc flights, accommodation, transfers and chalet board food. Plenty of chalets open in both areas at that time of year, we are going back to this chalet next season on a different week - http://www.skiolympic.co.uk/ski-snowboard-holidays-tignes-espace-killy-chalet-camille I wouldn't be going back if I didn't think it was a good location, good value for money, and suitable for almost anybody.

If you are looking at self catering you need to think how many people in the group can cater for 15-20, and how you are going to get all that food to the chalet. My experience is that most people can cook for 6-8, some can cook for 12, it takes a lot of planning and fairly industrial size equipment to cook for 20, and that's just to churn out fairly easy stuff. The quality of food in most catered chalets is worth the small extra cost in my experience.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monium,In that week - which ends before the Christmas rush starts I don't think the budget is unrealistic for self-catering. Catered, I know is a different issue. I do take your point about the challenges of catering for that number. We have the benefit of a couple of non-skiers in the group, one of whom is genuinely a 3rd year chefery student. Naturally he will get paid for his efforts. Very Happy Anniepen, stevomcd,Thanks for the information. If La Tania were 500m higher it would be a no-brainer. Still with thinking about though.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bogusman, I shall pm you...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bogusman, I've sent you a pm . . .
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bogusman, Chalet le Gietaz often featured on here sounds like it may be good for you or try www.Latania.co.uk which has a very good lift to take you higher if the snow is iffy. BUT I have been skiing every week for the last 7 years at 1300m with no problem w/c 13 December

Found the link
http://www.chalet-la-giettaz.com/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bogusman, I'd agree that you need to book well in advance given your unusual requirements AND to aim to go to one of those high resorts - I suspect quite a few French resorts won't be fully open until 22 December. You could look at Mountainsun in Tignes - very good value and they include transfers from Geneva which would make a big difference with that size of group.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Les Arcs? Good mix of altitude and lower tree-lined runs. Not sure of opening dates though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, We know Mountainsun very well. Stayed there at New Year, just Junior and me. I agree that they are excellent.

There are some good suggestions here already. Nothing that ticks all of the boxes but several that cover most of the bases.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all the suggestions. We have decided to take a chance on the height and go with Anniepen, in La Tania. If worst comes to worst we will just have to bus it higher. There will be a report posted here in about 7 months time Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bogusman, thanks for your confidence Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a good holiday Bogusman
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a good one.. I'll wave to you from the chalet next door!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy