Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2012/2013 (Update on Lech)

Poster: A snowHead
Batman_123 and I are out next week. Couple of days with L4 P2P (will confirm which) but up for skiing with others on our off days if there's anyone around. Horizon, will SMS you back once my phone's working again!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Batman_123 and I are out next week. Couple of days with L4 P2P (will confirm which) but up for skiing with others on our off days if there's anyone around. Horizon, will SMS you back once my phone's working again!

Its Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Temp dropping fast. Could be -15C tonight
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing a few jager won't sort out though
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PBJ wrote:
sah, Hi hope it's going well and the new skis performing . are you skiing in a group as I have 2 friend in St A this week who I know would be up for some Off Piste excursions ....

Skiing with my wife and taking it easy, so not allowed to do any serious off piste, just doing the odd ski routes and easy op stuff. Fresh tracks down bachseite this morning though:-) only about 10cm deep but still nice. There was just enough cover to hide the rocks though, luckily the K2s are made of sterner stuff than my previous skis so no serious harm.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sideshow_Bob, Batman_123, let's keep in touch. As you know we have booked a guide Sunday to Wednesday,with 4 of us certain and 1-2 more which may join for 1-2 days.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sah, My friend Marcus is in exactly same situation with his wife Sally (might be unfair to her as she is up for most stuff !) ..... you should meet up ! they are at Sport Hotel and he is on Powdairs.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry I am hijacking what is really the weather and piste thread but can't seem to find any info. Heading Friday to Monday to St Anton (technically Pettneu!) for last minute long weekend and hoping for some good lunch restaurant tips not too fancy but table service on the mountains if possible. I have been once before for just 2 days but we didn't find any great option. Also given it seems pretty busy any tips for quieter pistes? Mixed experience group one in particular quite timid so we will be sticking to blues..cheers We had some nice snow in Zurich today am hoping also the case over there?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rendl quiet. Bifangalm is nice for lunch on way down close to village. Couple of steep pitches for your timid skier. Some nice stops for lunch in Stuben (berghaus) and Oberlech.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
swissdee, If you are around for a couple of days and skiing with timid skiers, worth heading to Oberlech in the morning and then skiing back to Zurs in the afternoon. The ski back is great and you will be able to find some nice lunch spots (with table service) in Oberlech.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
swissdee, If skiing around the Galzig/Gampen even Nasserein side...Senn Hutte is always worth calling into, food there is lovely.

I'll be there on St Patricks Day if yer about!!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Batman_123 wrote:
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Its Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday

Hi,

I'll be in St Anton Friday & Saturday next week, the 22&23rd and I would be well up for a ski and a play in the powder. I'd be ~ L4 P2P.

Let me know if interested by PM.

thanks,
Horgand
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Conditions people, conditions????!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
Conditions people, conditions????!

Tiny bit of snow over last few days, maybe 5cm. Has been warm and sunny, now very cold for the season (-13 on Glazing at 3pm), so the base is now rock hard. Pistes in great condition if your edges are good;-), off piste is ok where it is sheltered, but in wind exposed areas there's a thick icy crust in places, not breakable though. If we get a decent fall the off piste should be great.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
swissdee,

It's not busy on the mountain, town was busy on Saturday night but slopes are fine. No queues for any lifts at any time that I've seen.

Table service lunch spots: Ulmerhutte (top of Arlenmahder lift), Rodel Alm (below Gampen on the way to Nasserein), Sennhutte, Heustadl, Griabli, Mooserwirt, Taps (all on Galzig on the main run to town), Café Anton and Seitenblick are in the village but about 2 seconds walk from the Galzig lift station. In Stuben the Berghaus is hidden just behind the church, 2 mins walk from the piste, booking advisable! In Lech the Rud Alpe low down in 34a is excellent. Apart from Taps and the Moos I've been to all these this season and had great food at all of them, the Rodel Alm is probably my favourite though.
snow report
V Cold remaider this week. Snow perfect.

Next week fohn will give us Snow baby Very Happy

Monday Tuesday. ......
ski holidays
swissdee, the Rodelalm above Nasserein is good
snow conditions
sah, We've got into the Bergbahn places, Galzig, Rendl this year. Can always get a table, freshly cooked food (salads, wok dishes etc), pretty reasonable prices and free wifi. Also like the indi places you mentioned above (Griabli my favourite) but the main lift stations are a slightly healthier option IMO and make a nice change.

Real pee'd off its all over for us this season..........tempted by prospect of a long weekend mid/ end April for some touring and spring snow, anyone know any cheap ways of getting to Innsbruck late April, Thursday evening/ Sunday eve flights, south or north departures, could work it in with a meeting in the south? wink EJ stops early month.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
sah, We've got into the Bergbahn places, Galzig, Rendl this year. Can always get a table, freshly cooked food (salads, wok dishes etc), pretty reasonable prices and free wifi. Also like the indi places you mentioned above (Griabli my favourite) but the main lift stations are a slightly healthier option IMO and make a nice change.

Real pee'd off its all over for us this season..........tempted by prospect of a long weekend mid/ end April for some touring and spring snow, anyone know any cheap ways of getting to Innsbruck late April, Thursday evening/ Sunday eve flights, south or north departures, could work it in with a meeting in the south? wink EJ stops early month.

Yeah, the Rendl place doesn't look too bad, have stopped there for a coffee a few times. The view from the Galzig restaurant is superb too. Eating here is bad for the waistline, might try your healthy option next time.

Came down early today, 1cm dusting on icy bumps is no fun... just enough to hide the rocks :-/ Pistes all OK, icy and fast low down but one too many downhill racers for my liking, they all seem the wear the same blue and yellow outfits too...

Have already got end of season blues and I'm still out here. Probably won't ski tomorrow as the bus leaves at 13:30. If we had a miracle dump i'd get up and out for sure, but it's not going to happen, although it is snowing it is very, very light. I have a hankering to do a Silvretta tour in April one day, suspect not this year though.
ski holidays
Came down early today as well due to self inflicted head ache but very glad I went up again later. Pistes hard in rendl but good enough for time of year. Off piste hard and heavy but I imagine the guides know where there is still some reasonable stuff to be found.

Went back up galzig in the afternoon to ski down to the moose and was surprised to find a sizeable dusting of fresh from the cloud that was hanging there all day! Was great, nice soft piles on the piste and some respectable turns off piste too.

Anyone ski zurs today? Heard it got more snow than St anton and was thinking of heading there tomorrow. There is the small matter of the temptation of the schindler coloirs instead though.... on which, does anyone know where I can get an avalanche forecast for the arlberg? Find it quite irresponsible that it isn't visible in the report, in stark contrast to what you'd find in somewhere like Chamonix.
ski holidays
8611, the Tirol one is online (updated early each morning), not sure if there is a specific Arlberg area one. The ski school office posts up detailed avi info each morning for their guides, ask at their reception and they'll probably let you have a look.
snow report
8611, The avy bulletin for Tirol is posted at the bottom (and top I think) of galzig and most other major lifts, also on line, plus you can get it emailed to you every morning: http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/service/newsletter-per-email/ . Also a link on the st anton site: http://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/winter/skigebiet/ski-mountaineering.html . It's very easy to find really Happy

For Lech, Zuers and Stuben there's a different report, don't have the links to hand but search for Vorarlberg Avalanche. Also posted at the base stations in Stuben, Lech and Zuers. Interesting to compare the two sometimes (well, interesting to wannabe snow geeks like me anyway).

I've never seen an Arlberg specific report, would be great if there was one.

There was more snow falling in Stuben than St Anton today, so I suspect Lech and Zuers also got more too. OP in St Anton was not so good today, was much better on Wed and Thurs, a lot more wind affected today. Stuben not much better but I didn't stay there long due to poor visibility so there could have been good stuff, esp lower down out of the wind. With the snow today it will be worth a look to tomorrow though. I'll be looking... from the bus Sad
latest report
This gives you all the avalanche forecasts for Austria.

http://www.lawine.at/

This is the Vorarlberg one.

http://warndienste.cnv.at/dibos/lawine/en/

8611, they are pretty easy to find if you look.

Lifts and some of the ski shops have them as well as being on line.
latest report
Also, here of course: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93697 Happy
ski holidays
Thanks guys - now, anyone know a bar in lech or zurs that might show the rugby, or failing that, a bar in St anton that we will actually be able to get into?

All help appreciated as ever
latest report
The obvious bar is Cuba in St Anton.
snow conditions
Thanks noz but I suspect on the match that's in it we'll not get in. The one under the sport hotel had the gall to charge entry last year and still was turning people away.

Lech would be a good option, assuming the uber rich watch rugby?
snow report
As a long shot you could try the hubertushof in stuben?? Maybe worth a call to them first, but they have a large tv in the bar which has shown English football before......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611, the bar attached to the mark warner chalet rosanna in st anton should show the match
ski holidays
All good, ensconced in cuba, good day today, pistes on valluga side of zurs quite hard and off piste heart breaking, but lots of good cold powder off the muggengrat, great lift must give one of the better adrenaline to waiting ratios in the skiing world.
snow conditions
Strong Fohn is with us.

We should see some snow maybe as early as tomorrow(Monday) night and could bring a few cms whilst continuing thru Tuesday .

FYI

The KK is having a St. Paddy's Day party from 15;00 today
snow conditions
hi folks

I'm thinking of a week away over Easter (31st March) and was wondering how busy it gets at this time of year and having read the info on here I take it we should be able to ski all the way down to the st anton.

Any other advice on wheat the transport around the resort is like and anywhere to avoid would be appreciated Smile
snow report
Curtains, Go the week later............... much quieter, and the existing snow is more than good enough. I was out there 2 weeks ago and there's the best top to bottom snow I've seen there.

Post busses and free(blue) busses easily get you around the resorts.
snow conditions
skimastaaah, i'm stuck to that week, I was also considering France as its higher but just really want a good cheap family trip away
ski holidays
Bit the bullet.....me and ski mate going for long weekend mid April to do some day touring, any advice on suggested routes? Know the area well keen to get into top end of Monfontal valley and do some decent skinning........4th trip there this season, can't keep away, it's in great nick so why not?! Few early starts likely to get decent snow. Toofy Grin
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
Bit the bullet.....me and ski mate going for long weekend mid April to do some day touring, any advice on suggested routes? Know the area well keen to get into top end of Monfontal valley and do some decent skinning........4th trip there this season, can't keep away, it's in great nick so why not?! Few early starts likely to get decent snow. Toofy Grin

Pop in to the North Face shop and get hold of Andy Thurner's ski touring guide... Although you'll need to be lucky, I just bought the second to last one wink (I saw it in a few other shops in German, but I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find one somewhere). Also, there is a DAV 1:25K map with ski routes marked on it, should be available in the book shop (I've not seen the ski route version so not sure how useful it will be).

As for suggestions, the book seems to show a lot of variations on the them of "head across Rossfall then go up" or "head across hinter Rendl then go up". To be honest they are pretty obvious when you see the pictures, the book isn't essential at all, but makes for good summer reading Happy

Out of interest... which dates in April... I'm not allowed out again this season, but, er, you know, stuff happens... wink
snow conditions
Markymark29,

Depending on the snow/weather and other commitments I may be upfor some touring in St Anton during April.

This German site has GPS downloads and maps etc
http://www.gps-tour.info/

You can also pick up ski touring guides - again in german not sure if there is an English version.
http://www.alpinverlag.at/buecher/skitourenfuehrer_tirol.html

The ski touring guide mentioned above .....
http://www.outdoor-adventures.at/engl.buch.html
snow conditions
Re. Andy Thurner

You can hire the man himself better than reading his book ... He is quite often in The Underground on The Piste

http://www.outdoor-adventures.at/engl.team.html
snow report
DB wrote:

This German site has GPS downloads and maps etc
http://www.gps-tour.info/

Fantastic link, thanks!
snow report
Its already snowing up higher. Tonight will continue. We will have some POW to play with in tomorrow morning.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy