Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do I keep my Fischer AMC79

Poster: A snowHead
I am in a dilemma whether to change my skis. At present I ski Fischer AMC79 at 170mm which are quite heavy compared to my friends lord's. I bought these last season looking to venture off piste for the first time in Flaine where we 2 days of snow so the conditions where really good with fresh powder. I coped fairly well managing to get them to float and got in quite a few turns. I did like skiing them when on piste and in chopped stuff.

Do I go wider and may be get a ski which will help me progress? I am 61 yo weight 80 kilo and 5'8" according to my friend who is a ski leader for the SCGB stated that I was at purple level on piste, I think that may be level 6/7 correct me if I am wrong. I haven't had any off piste lessons was hoping to go on the ESOB but couldn't make it. All things being well I will be going on the Early bash and will take advantage of Snowheads tuition.

To date I have considered:- Not sure what length would like your input.

Line Prophet 90/98/100
Movement Jam
Watea 84
Scott missions
Salomon Lords
Coreupt R88

I would appreciate any help from members of this brilliant site. Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-05-12 14:34; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
perelik1, keep them and get something else as well that's got a bit more width to it and a bit longer if you're venturing off piste.

I'm assuming you mean AMC79. I had a pair and wish I'd kept them as an on piste/variable ski. Great ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, Yes I did Mean AMC amended post. Which ski would you recommend then, as I do like the AMC79 really good on the piste very stable and did improved my skiing. Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you could get to a fridge and try some out only you could tell what you prefer. Your list of skis has a huge variation in it.

Depends if you want something that feels the same to ski as the Fischers?? Bear in mind they have carbon in them and so are very torsionally stable, much more so than some of the skis on your list.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd keep the Fischers & get something with plenty of width & tip rocker as that really helps in the soft/variable stuff. I think all the skis in the list are too narrow & all are conventional camber which doesn't help at all. Don't be frigthtened by width/length as the more width underfoot the better float & rocker makes the ski a lot shorter. I'd say 100-115mm underfoot & a min of 180cm, longer if there's a lot of rocker. Camber should be just a few mm at the most. A longer radius is also more stable etc.

I presume that you've got the railflex bindings on your AMC's? If so you just need another set of railflex bases mounted on your fats & you can share the bindings across both skis to save cost/weight/bulk etc.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, shoogly,

Thanks for your comments I value them, I will keep my AMC and start another search for skis. I do have a fridge near by at Castleford will see what EB have for demo. The AMC's do have the railflex I never thought of swapping bindings.

I have never skied anything wider than 79cm so it's all a bit daunting. Prior to the AMC I had a pair of Volkl AC30 unlimited in width 76 cm length 177cm, but I wasn't over enthused with them may be because I felt they where to long.

I will now have to rethink my list, have you any idea what I should be looking at? Would White Dot The Directors be OK
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, the 2012 prophets have some rocker.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly wrote:

So they have Smile - pity about the sawdust cores wink

perelik1, yep the 178 Directors would be an excellent choice. Unfortunately I'm sold out of Directors so I can't help you but I think that http://www.showshepherd.co.uk have got one pair left at a great price. Snowshepherd's run by Livetoski off this forum so you'll get excellent service.

I'll have a pair of PM Gear's 186 carbon hybrid Llasa Pows (which would be perfect for your stats) available in a few weeks if you fancy a pair of the best all mountain skis available!

Don't be intimidated by the width/length at all as low camber/rockered skis turn on a dime. I'm 5'9" (but heavier than you Embarassed) & ski on a 196 which sounds very long but the effective edge on my Llasa Pow's is only the same length as my 165 slalom skis.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon wrote:
shoogly wrote:

So they have Smile - pity about the sawdust cores wink

Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, I've drilled a lot of Line skis & there's not much resistance there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon wrote:

Oooooppsss. I got a pair of Influence 105's yet to be mounted. Had I best use 14mm nuts and bolts??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, Can you use the power plate / railflex system with the directors? I know I would have to get wider brakes. Not sure about Llasa Pows need to do more research, as a matter of interest what would they cost?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
perelik1, the regular railflex base would work well allowing you to share the bindings. There's a number of variations of the base so best to send me a pic of the bindings/rail on you AMC's. My email is: skituning at btinternet.com

I'll PM you re the Llasas.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
theskibob wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Oooooppsss. I got a pair of Influence 105's yet to be mounted. Had I best use 14mm nuts and bolts??

I've yet to mount my prophets with my jesters. Had considered sending them to you for some quiver killers... you have me worried now though.

perelik1, sorry for the thread hijack.
ski holidays
shoogly, they'll be fine with QK inserts as they're a lot stronger than a conventional mount.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Have bitten the bullet and bought the White Dot 178cm from Snowsheperd. Thanks everyone for your help best ski site in the world Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy