Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norrona Trollveggan vs Arcteryx Sidewinder SV. Opinions Please

Poster: A snowHead
I've been running the Sidewinder for the last 2 seasons, but fancy a change.

The Sidewinder is an amazing jacket, it has never failed to impress regardless of the conditions.

I like the look of the Trollveggan and being also built of Pro-Shell, should perform well.

Opinions please. Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might also want to consider a cheaper alternative, such as Dare2Be.
wink

(what do you feed a vegan troll, by the way?)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn't think the Trollveggan had a powder skirt (which I like to keep the drafts out) as it's really designed as a climbing jacket. Seemed a weird fit to me, skinny body (too tight Embarassed) & long arms. I've had a couple SV's for a few years now (now using the latest Pro Shell version with the helmet compatible hood) & can't see me ever changing. I do like Norrona's green colour.

I think there's some smoke damaged Norrona's going cheap at S&R Sheffiled wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon,

I will when I'm skint. Very Happy

I have a deep rooted aversion to anything of low quality. I blame my Father, if it was cheap enough, it was good enough in his eyes. Confused

Alernatively, I could just be a brand snob. Shocked
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, You're right, the Troll is primarilly a climbing jacket and it doesn't have a skirt. I have the 'Blackbird' SV which is a bit boring these days.

I've tried the Troll, it is a closer fit than the SV.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Mountain Equipment Kamchatka is a similar spec but cheaper and I've been using it this season in all sorts with no complaints at all:

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/waterproof/kamchatka_jacket---648/

I ditched the snow skirt though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski, I ski Mammut Shell with powder skirt, have a look, great jacket and some cool colours, also Arcteryx Beta shell, both have underarm vents which I rate really important. Like some of the Norrona stuff but it's well expensive and not sure it's as good as it might be for that sort of money.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mollerski, 2 season? How many days have you skied? My last much loved jacket lasted 11 years and around 600 ski days.

2 years seems like a pretty poor run...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name,

I "fancy" a change. The Sidewinder is 'as new'.
Do I have to wait until it's knackered before I'm allowed a new jacket? wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IME the Norronas are cut slimmer and longer in the body and arms than Arcy T ski jackets (I had a Stingray years ago which was more relaxed in fit than the Sidewinder). I think they're absolutely bang on. Not for the faintly overweight though. The quality is very good but not quite AT standards (IMHO, not a lot is).

Lastly, they are very, eeeerm, conspicuous. Probably best not to wear the green one if you're feeling rubbish that day, unless you like being laughed at Skullie Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski, I've got a Norrona Lofoten GTX Pro jacket, and very nice it is too. It fits me very well in XL (I'm 1.94m and 95kg), although as spyderjon mentioned above, you do need to reasonably trim and have long arms, which fortunately for me I have. That's one reason I bought the jacket. It's very well made and has a load of great design details. They also come in very bright colours - mine's bright red.

Oh, and it's quite good at keeping the snow and rain out as well.

In fact I have a one in red from last year (size L, BNWT but from last season) that's surplus to requirements that I might be be interested in selling.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
horizon wrote:
You might also want to consider a cheaper alternative, such as Dare2Be.
wink

(what do you feed a vegan troll, by the way?)

I've got a Dare2Be jacket and it's been great, thin and light, was still nice and toasty at -25C, having said that I've never had anything more expensive to compare it to
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski wrote:
Do I have to wait until it's knackered before I'm allowed a new jacket? wink

Could be waiting a while - not quite sure how old my (XCR) Sidewinder SV is but it must be more than 10 fairly high average ski day years and going strong - better still I was joking with someone from Arcteryx at the factory sale about it lasting forever apart from a few tired bits (the zip and arm pocket window) and they said bring it in and they'd take a look at sorting them out as it has a lifetime warranty Shocked snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Norrona stuff has some great details - like the cuffs being angled to cover your whole writ when arms outstretched, etc. (Really) Cool colours too. Wish I could afford more Norrona stuff, but it's (way) too pricey for me most of the time, and tbh other brands to the job pretty much as well (without maybe quote the same attention to final details). The stuff I do have (heavy fleece and softshell shorts) are absolutely brilliant though, and if I had the money I can't think of (m)any brands I'd choose over it.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
...and if you think an Arcteryx Sidewinder is well made, you need to check out an Arcteryx Ventii - a thing of goretex beauty. Cool
Fortunately on my particular one, they managed to mess up a stitch on it so I could actually just about afford it (well you can tell if you look really hard and you know where to look!)
snow report
stuarth, Interestingly, my old, nearly bombproof but finally retired jacket was XCR too...
snow report
arcteryx service is fantastic i have sent three items in for repair over the years all repaired FOC and one replaced with new
ski holidays
Arcteryx stuff always has the girl's zip aka American way around. Can't get on with that so sadly just discount them.
ski holidays
Reecie, Never had an issue, why's that such a biggie?
snow report
Markymark29, Dunno must be a strange mental thing. Just annoys me always going one way and it being the other. I suppose if I persevered it would work through. Pity there is a difference really can't see why there should be.

BTW In April I sat next to someone on a lift in Meribel wearing the Norrona Lofoten GTX Pro Jacket in the Nabbi (the multi) colour way with matching green trousers. Looked very nice though somewhat distinctive Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy