Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Left foot, right turn.

Poster: A snowHead
For the last few weeks there's been something odd going on with my right turn on any terrain steeper than a moderate intermediate slope. At first I assumed I was just compensating and skidding on hardpack because I hadn't tuned my skis Embarassed but while skiing yesterday I think I figured it out.

What it feels like - my left foot twists and pushes the heel out in the last 3rd of the turn, as if I was doing a stem christie after the fall line.

Why I think I'm doing this - I seem to be lacking dexterity in my foot/ankle to tip the ski on edge, ie I try to get on the edge but don't quite make it so I compensate.

How I am correcting it - really extending into the turn and getting an early edge change, and then be aware of how I'm pressuring the ski, ie making sure I'm maintain constant motion in flexing and extending not just pressuring the ski all at once and riding it out.

Any thoughts? Or exercises to increase dexterity in my left leg? - it's always been stronger than my right, but the right is much more precise.
Other instructors who have recently seen me ski have been less than helpful - "stop skidding and get on your edges". rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skinanny, Has anyone looked at your boot alignment recently.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rjs, yes - I should have anticipated the question, boots are canted and aligned, and I have custom insoles...... I think it's a habit I picked up early season when we were on so much hardpacked man made snow for so long.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
at a guess - fore/aft balance, but just post some video for more useful help.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skinanny, maybe it would be good to get yourself on a ski performance type course, lots going on around depending where you are based in the summer, it would be better to have someone see what's going on as it could be something easily rectified, could be as simple as overly banking in one direction etc. but without seeing it would be guessing, I'm not sure that dexterity in the ankle to put the ski on edge is the best way to think about it as your boots won't allow this, I like to think about edging coming more from the hip joints.

To add if you want some drills maybe do some hip joint rotation exercises to train your body to steer and edge more from here & to free up this area.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DaveC, why would you think fore/aft balance?

gatecrasher, not much skiing going on in the desert during the summer, so no opportunity for a performance course unless I go to Mt Hood.

The way I think of skiing is from the feet up, which is why I was talking in terms of ankle/foot dexterity. If you roll your ankle from side to side in your boot it will tip from side to side, thus edging the ski - think of railroad track turns on gentle terrain. wink What I think I'm doing is actually over rotating my leg during the bottom of the turn, for whatever reason, and simply pushing out the heel.

I did have someone watch me, the basic response was that I'm not holding the edge, and to be a little more subtle through the turn!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skinanny, I think I see where you're coming from but as long as you are not actually trying to roll your ankle inside the boot but using it as a thought only because you shouldn't have any lateral movement in your boots at the ankle. In rail road turns you sort of want to think roll the knee as a thought but it's all done via the hips ball joint and there should be (no) twisting thoughts at the knees when doing it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you sharpened your skis this week?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cynic, yes I have.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do you turn your feet before any other part of your body (shoulders perhaps?)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cynic, am I initiating the turn with my feet - no, I extend into the turn first and then "follow" with my feet as in edge change and then rotary and pressure to finish the turn. I get more extension off my right foot than my left at the moment, which I think is part of the problem. I don't turn from my shoulders, don't use my upper body as my main turning force.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skinanny, Just as a change try initiating, by edging the outside edge of the inside ski first, followed instantly by the inside edge of the outside ski and let the skis turn you, change edges again in the fall line (helps to have feet at least hip width apart). See the pencil lines.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skinanny, I'm pretty much ignoring all the technical stuff you've said, since I'm not sure if it's accurate self assessment and to be honest it's very complicated - but if you're skidding the bottom half of your turn unintentionally it means you're out of balance, so either you're falling inside and whipping the skis round to get them back, or you're a bit back and they're taking off on you. I assume this extension stuff is BASI methodology? I'd personally bin all of that, and just focus on staying balanced on the ski, and increasing edge angle until completion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skinanny, I am not totally sure about exactly what type of turn you are trying to achieve. For example are we talking about long turns or short turns, carved turns or non-carved steered turns. Could you please clarify what you would like to be able to do on skis?

Could it a speed control issue? Do you feel as though you are going too fast on steeper slopes and so rotate the skis to scrub off some speed before starting the new turn (on your weaker right leg). If it is then possibly make your turns more rounder on steeper slopes ie aim for turns more like this shape: C as opposed to this shape: (

Can you actually carve? (Rotating the skis and putting the skis on edge at the same time won't work particularly well). Sometimes it is best to go back to basics.

This is how I started to learn carved turns but in any case it is a really good way to practice the bottom third (and lower half) of a turn :

> start with a slight traverse across the slope (from left to right and then right to left and so on in order to develop both sides).
> Aim to stand on the edges of your skis and let the skis take you wherever the skis want to take you.
> Don't rotate the skis or force anything but be concious of the sensations that your feet receive from the skis
> Finish each traverse by finishing the arc of the turn up hill. Imagine that the traverse is a lower portion of a big circle.
> Stop after each traverse and inspect the tracks you made on the slope. What do you notice? You should be aiming for two defined parallel tracks cut into the piste.
> gradually increase the arc of the traverse so that it starts to become the bottom third of the arc of a carved turn whilst still inspecting your tracks at the end of each traverse.

Notes
> Practice on a nice and quiet wide piste which is not particularity steep (most probably a blue run) and where the snow is nice, groomed and not too hard.
> Look up and watch out for incoming traffic before you start each traverse. Be sensible and don't do the drill anywhere where you are not visible to traffic from above
> Be concious of the sensations that you receive from the skis
> Be patient (and a little bit self critical) ie don't increase the gradient of the turn until you are 100% happy with the tracks you leave in the snow. Eventually you will be able to start the exercise from facing directly down the fall line and perform half of a carved turn.

BTW I had looked for a video demonstration but could not find one.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 6-05-12 19:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Its not a demonstration of the drill above (and the music is terrible) but consider this skiers progression:

http://youtube.com/v/2Fs2jkOA74o
snow conditions
1. it's only happening on one turn on terrain that is moderate steeps or steeper.
2. I am very rarely back, nor do I bank to the inside - wouldn't have passed my last ski exam if I was and I would have been told in no uncertain terms by everyone that I ski with if I was doing either.
3. yes, I can carve, and yes I make 'C' shaped turns.
4. most of the time I'm trying for the edge change in the top 3rd of the turn, before the fall line.

I think it's just a bad habit on that side, but I'd like to know why I don't do it when I extend more/get more crossover.
ski holidays
It could be a biomechanical issue that's forcing you to twist your foot unintentionally when your left leg or knee is in a certain position or weighted in a certain way. I was amazed when I watched a video of me running on a treadmill. My right knee drops way to the left when my leg is flexed.

You might try Colin (CEM) at:
http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/

Or Andy McCann at:
http://www.mccannix.com/
snow conditions
skinanny, I am sorry but without video this thread is rather difficult to answer.
snow report
skinanny, it may simply be that!... as you say a bad habit on one side, a lot of us have them and maybe its just a case of keep doing what's working for that side it may feel like an exaggeration for a while but the more you exaggerate the feeling the more normal the feeling will become over time,
snow conditions
skinanny, so you're basi 2/3/4? I don't really get why you're being so overly technical but cagey with background etc. Degrees of back/inside change things, you don't have to be flailing around with tips off the snow - and you can pass exams with flaws in your skiing that you compensate for - and getting your head in a weird place will bring out masked bad habits that we all have.

I'm always wary of Snowheads obsession with every fault being biomechanics (no offence intended, but it's the number one solution to any skiing flaws here), can't imagine they can be responsible for an issue thats only started recently.
snow report
Elston, sorry, there was no one to video me yesterday. I do like the way the video you posted shows the progression, though.

gatecrasher, I'm hoping you are right, and at least I know I'm doing something wrong..... wink

altis, thanks for the links, but they are both a long way away for me.

DaveC, I wasn't aware that I was being overly technical - this is how I usually talk about my skiing. I just felt something in my skiing on Friday, had a few thoughts about it and decided to discuss it on here since my usual technical friends were not available, it being the end of the season and everyone is off doing summer stuff.

I will try to get video next Friday, or maybe it would just be easier to convince one of my trainers to ski with me. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Ah, the penny has dropped who you are now...
ski holidays
You are Tiggy Legge-Bourke and I claim my £5 ?
snow conditions
skinanny,
I'm with DaveC on this one. I think maybe you're trying to find a technical fault as this would be something you could point at and say ah that's it but it may be that there is no problem and quite soon you'll be back to normal (sounds likely as you say it just started happening).

Can I make a suggestion? Try skiing on an easy slope (green or blue); do you still have the same problem. If yes then you at least know you have a real problem. If not then you need to get better at skiing on the easy slope, then work up to something "slightly “steeper, then check again. Keep on doing this until the problem starts again. You’ll then know what’s going on and why. When the problem starts again, go back to the last slope you were fine on and practice your stuff, then move up again and see if it worked. If not then go back and practice some more and keep doing this until it does work. Yeah I know, that's not in the BASI book, but it works.

Twisting your ski at the end of the turn normally means you are either out of control and trying to slow down on something to steep or you're just going too fast for that slope. It's used as a speed check. I get shouted out by my race trainer when I'm whizzing the posts for doing just what you describe - in my case it's as I'm a wimp Toofy Grin

I know it's not very technical, but try slowing down or skiing something not so steep and you'll be amazed at the difference it makes in technique and how it gets rid of quite a few problems.

There are a zillion drills you can use to get people better at carving "S's" but the the best advice would be to just ignore it and go for a ski and have some fun.
latest report
Or only change edges in the fall line, the key to the carved turn
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:

Not sure about that, it's perfectly possible to carve a turn all the way round to across the slope (some would tell you to 'finish the turn' if you don't, although obviously that depends what you're going for) and then change edges (pointing straight across the fall line).

skinanny, try and get some video if you can.
snow conditions
Cynic wrote:

Are you sure ?

(inner lead tip, here we come wink )
snow report
Wayne wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Are you sure ?

(inner lead tip, here we come wink )

Well we need something to get us through those long hot bleak summer months! Toofy Grin

"Barbeque'd corn on cob anyone?" Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy