Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First three days on DPS wailers(mini review)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just back from my final ski trip of the year , which was a chance to get on my brand new skis, so would like to give my first opinions on these tangerine beauties

the ski --- 2013 DPS wailer 99 hybrid 168cm mounted with marker baron alpine tour bindings on QK inserts

the resort ---- espace Killy , staying in tignes le lac , where we saw every type of snow imaginable in the three days

First morning out temps were high, so pretty much soft spring snow from the off, so ideal conditions for a first outing on the DPS , they are made for making easy turns in soft snow , was a bit unsure at first how to handle the rocker , but after playing around with stance for a bit , found this ski loved to be driven through the soft bumps with the rocker giving you a bit of lift then allowing you to change edges with the ease of a much narrower ski.
The wind was up and a lot of the resort was closed , so the day was spent practising drills ready for the off piste , ollies and nollies and Swedish turns , short swings etc, which were made easy by the light weight and manoeuvrability of the skis , and so by the end of the day was skiing better than ever before . Something else that defiantly worked for me was the fact that if you let go of your focus in any sort of variable snow the wailers let you know instantly , but recovering was easy on them Cool
Next morning we woke to pouring rain in the village , Embarassed But after getting off the top of the first lift were greeted by fresh snow and no people , so no time to stop and think we just chased the fresh tracks all over tignes, and wow !!! the ski was made for resort pow ( move over the 112 ) made 6 cm of snow feel magic. Did a few jumps and the ski was ultra stable .all in all one of the best skiing days of the year snowHead
Temps dropped on our last day , so a first downer on the 99's , scrapped off hard pack Embarassed Although the skis could cope it was defiantly not fun , but as soon as things softened but normal order was restored , did some great carving and high speed skiing on piste skiing on the way over to val d'isere Very Happy , then up on to the glacier for more powder love.Followed by some steep tree skiing back down. The skis excelled in all of this , even in a whiteout after lunch the feeling that was transmitted through these ski was easy to transfer into a balanced skiing style I had never felt before
Toofy Grin
Everyone in group commented on how great these skis looked in action Cool

In conclusion a great ski defiantly made for soft snow conditions , but more than able to cope with most things ,
Only place I was unsure on were long traverses where more effective edge would have been appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice! If you dont mind me asking, what are your stats (height, weight)? interested in how that stacks up against your choice of 168s
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, i am 165cm and 73 kg and like to ski at a medium pace , in fact the stability of the skis allowed me to play with speed in the lower off piste aspects. only downside as said before was traversing( not my favourite pastime anyway) was a little sketchy on well tracked firm lines !, but not sure if more length would help there as i think the rocker get longer with the bigger ski .

most of the reseacrch i did on these skis was over on epic and tgr , and most folk advised going longer ( upto 184), except one or two folk who didnt profess to be hard charging pow slayers!!!! but i feel most comfortable on a shorter ski, and had also read there had been a few issues with the longer 99's, and my focus this year and next is learning the techniques needed to progress into much steeper narrower terrian , so manoevering these ski in this length seemed easier to me , but what a great bit of kit whatever the length Cool Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
*must not add to quiver*
*must not add to quiver*
*convince self 112s do not need supplementing with 99s*
*convince self 112s do not need supplementing with 99s*
*do not email DPS*
*do not check DPS website*

I think I might be doomed.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
zammo, ha ha - I am having a similar inner dialogue, although it centers around replacing my totally beat Lotus 120s Laughing

carbon_copy, thanks for the info. if you ask me, 184 sounds too long for someone 165cm tall even if the skis do ski short due to the rocker
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno wrote:
.....184 sounds too long for someone 165cm tall even if the skis do ski short due to the rocker

I'm 176 tall & my Llasa'a are 196. Man up Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon, I'm about 187cm tall and 207cm skis are in pretty short supply these days Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Would you then be selling the 120s?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
zammo, think the 112's might be doomed to a long retirement if you try the 99's Cool

Arno, pleasure

spyderjon, there's the weight factor to take in to account too Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999, probably not. they are totally swiss cheesed and i almost feel like they are a historical artefact - from the days when they were about 5mm thick and the topsheets chipped Madeye-Smiley
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy