Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern - pre-Christmas??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi!

We have finally decided that we will go to Obertauern for our next family ski trip. We were going to go at the end of March but discovered that the week we wanted to go clashes with Austrian/German school holiday which means it is looking very expensive. We are now thinking of going pre-Christmas. However, I have read that Obertauern is very exposed and can be very bleak. Would really appreciate any comments on the weather from those who has skiied in Obertauern in December. How cold does it get? Do the lifts get closed often due to poor weather in December?

Also, we are thinking of staying at the Hotel Enzian, which is new to Cyrstal. Any comments on the hotel would be very much appreciated!

Thank you so much!!

Snowy123
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Enzian is a very nice modern place with great food. Stayed there a few years ago. Reception, bar and restaurant/dining room are all on the first floor. Games room stairs and lift on ground floor. Helpful friendly staff on reception who spoke good english and you can get your lift pass from them as well. The boot room had a contactless keycard like a lift pass, so don't put both of them in the same pocket... If there's enough snow on the road outside you can skate to the ski bridge and on down to the Edelweissbahn. If not it's a very very short walk.

We went in early January so no comment on December. Gamsleiten II lift is quite exposed so often closes, but this just serves a proper black run. Was closed for a couple of days. On our departure day a storm had rolled in. Think 2 to 4 drag lifts only opened and then closed early. When it blows walking around required goggles and a good lean into the wind. Was no colder than other alpine storms I've been in! Its situation on the head of a pass means there aren't many trees and the wind can blow through it a bit, but also means it's got a nice circuit of skiing around the town.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snowy123, We have been there in December 2007 and had brilliant weather. Lots, lots of snow, no wind and pretty much sunshine all the time.
But I guess it might be more exposed than other places nearby if the weather is not good. At least that what some people say. As everywhere you need some luck with the weather.
We loved the place. Modern, scenic and great, great apres.
(fairly small though, you can ski all in 2 days).

This is our picture from December:

There are other places close to explore if you feel adventurous. Lungau area on the same ski pass with bus connection. Or superb Zauchensee but will require more expensive ski pass and taxi ride I guess.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HI, I've done Obertauern several times, including Early December and familty trips.

Yes it can be cold if the weather is extreme, but this is the same anywhere. Most The lift system is modern, and includes covered chairs as well as some heated seats. None of the lifts are long (infact vertical max is only about 500m) so the amount of time spent on any lift is minimal. THat said a decent thermal and liner glovews are sufficient to ward off any concerns. Snow conditions pre christmas are usually pretty good due ot Obertauern being at the convergence of two weather froms. Most of the runs are of Intermediate stabndard and provide solid family entertainment. At peak times lunch time dinning can be a challenge if the weather is servere so plan breaks, and remember that you can use the hotewls in the village as well. All runs lead down to the valley floors so navigation is easy..

As HotTohut says there are aouple of 'excursions' which are fun if you want to take advantage. Zauchensee (where mt kids learnt to ski) is a great little area and provides a really nice break, but will mean travelling down to radstadt and upthe adjacent valley to accers - so plan your travel for this one.

This resort is actually a favorite with my kids- may well be back there again this year (pre christmas if schoold dates work out).

Enjoy...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Been in January a few times and going back 2013 I would go in December if we could get flights (and if I had the money)
Snow was late last winter resort normally opens mid November though when snow came it came aplenty
We had one day last winter when we stayed off the slopes most of the lifts were still running bit visibility was very poor If the weather turns bad when you are out you can get back to the village quickly from anywhere on the mountain
I was watching the web cams as normal and resort looked very quiet up to the Christmas holidays
Not stayed at your hotel we have used the Snow White the Petersbühel and the Stinner we like the Stinner best of the three and are going there next time thought I would use the others again if needed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowy123, if you want to book well in advance, and to go early season, then it only makes sense to book somewhere high - which means that yes, it will be bleak and very cold if the weather goes that way. No choice, really, though. The alternative is to wait until you can see how the weather is going, book last minute and be very flexible about where you go.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi peeps - just wondering if anyone has driven from Munich to Obertauern...trying to arrange a short break for the 19th to the 22nd of December (our anniversary!) and flights to Salzburg seem impossible. Wondering about hiring a car and driving from Munich and how much pain it will be to drive? Seems like a pretty good resort for early snow...anyone done the drive? Help would be appreciated!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've done the drive to Radstadt which is the lower valley town that you'd go through/past on the way to Obertauern - it's a very very easy drive, motorway the entire way.

I have seen reports on here that the road is rather prone to lots of traffic and delays, but fortunately for me it was only about 2-2.5hours both times. I went over easter, down to Radstadt on the Friday night (29 march) and back on Sunday night. Maybe this avoided peaks by not being the very end/start of the holiday period then? Actually flew out Thursday after work and back Monday night but spent Fri/Mon having a look around Munich.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy