Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

My own little helmet thread

Poster: A snowHead
I've never posted on a helmet thread before and until 3 weeks ago in VT had never worn a helmet while skiing. Day 4, new skis, caught an outside edge while looking over my shoulder whilst going at a fair lick.rather like catching an heel edge on a board. Blam! Put skis back on and got on the next lift. Then mentioned to my children that I didn't know the way to or the name of our chalet.or their dates of birth and so i was probable slightly concussed........and would they take me home. At which point they both almost wet themselves laughing. They led me home and a couple of hours after the bump I was skiing again and feeling 90% ok. I do wonder how much difference the helmat made. Was i glad that I was wearing one? Yes. Will wear one again? Always.

But i do wonder..........If i wasn't wearing one my head will have had less surface area so may have penetrated into the piste further and so had a longer deceleration time so the impact may have been less jarring. I don't know.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
".....Pulls up a sun lounger and orders a Pimm's!"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
got any popcorn?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
musher wrote:
got any popcorn?
musher, "here!...catch!" Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sequoiaboard, I don't know whether to feel sorry for you that you consider you have a small helmet or that you have such nice kids wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
marmotte16, Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher,

Careful, that went up my nose!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sequoiaboard, glad you were wearing the helmet! And I know your kids are lovely... Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sequoiaboard, When I read the title I thought you were talking about your "other little helmet" Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
obviously if you hadn't been wearing a helmet your head would have missed the floor completly, and you would look cooler thus avoiding your kids scornful laughter.. , reaches for diary and pencils in 15th Nov to revisit this thread
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sequoiaboard wrote:
.... my head will have had less surface area so may have penetrated into the piste further.......

Revenge of the coneHeads Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sequoiaboard wrote:

But i do wonder..........If i wasn't wearing one my head will have had less surface area so may have penetrated into the piste further and so had a longer deceleration time so the impact may have been less jarring. I don't know.

the key is "may".

Certainly, it's possible. But at least with a helmet (assuming it's passed various tests) you KNOW what the range of deceleration and G-force factors are.
Equally, your head may have penetrated the piste more and found a pointy rock underneath.

There's always going to be a what-if, or edge case scenario where a helmet won't help. It's all about risk assessment. You wear a helmet, or not, and make a choice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sarge McSarge wrote:
sequoiaboard, When I read the title I thought you were talking about your "other little helmet" Toofy Grin
I am ashamed to admit that I did too. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wear a Helmet period. You only have one brain so try to look after it>

Andy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica wrote:
Sarge McSarge wrote:
I am ashamed to admit that I did too. Embarassed

Such smutty thoughts are to be expected of some - like me Embarassed But not you, Shirley?
ski holidays
Red Leon, I have been told that my mind is not exactly squeaky clean...
latest report
Pedantica, Don't be ashamed. Revel in your feelings. Very Happy
ski holidays
More seriously, having done that to your melon, you probably want to think about replacing that helmet.
snow conditions
While I don't know what it is, there must be a mathematical equation that calculates what you are suggesting in the OP. The benefits (or otherwise) of different forms of deceleration rates would only be of interest at the margin either side of the impact above and below that necessary to give you concussion (this point is different for everyone since it relies on a number of things such as weight of your brain, thickness of your blood etc).

While some concussions must occur at just above this threshold level most are way in excess of what would be a very small window of tolerance. So it doesn't matter.

Put the popcorn down boys Little Angel
ski holidays
Deceleration of your head isn't really the problem in this kind of accident. It's the pressure generated on your skull during the impact, which is actually reduced with a larger surface area. A pointy rock has a very small surface area and hence v. high pressure.
latest report
I've just generated pressure on the front of my head by repeatedly banging against the keybord.
latest report
Mutter, mutter.... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1825890#1825890
snow report
I wrote quite a lengthy blogpost about SNELL as used for certifying some motorcycle helmets:
http://kickingtyres.co.uk/words/petrolhead/snell-test-and-cheap-helmets/

SNELL has since been changed, but the post is still relevant as it discusses the differences between G-force and penetration. (fnaar)
snow conditions
Here we go again!

I wore a helmet for the first time this year, I lasted about 1 hour before it was strung to my back pack, wearing a helmet whilst skiing is like having sex with a condom made from a tractor tyre.

Hubble bubble toil and trouble, eye of frog and tail of newt, glass of wine (or two) and if no-one made money out of selling helmets, who but racers would give a t**s about wearing them?. What can you throw into this cauldron?.
latest report
tangowaggon, I wore one for the first time as well this year as they were mandatory for the Coe Cup. Since then I've not particularly looked back. The only odd thing is the feeling of your own voice reverberating around the place. Once you're used to it then it then the initial weird hearing thing disappears. I'm interested to know what you hated so much about it?
snow report
tangowaggon, You? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
tangowaggon wrote:
Here we go again!

I wore a helmet for the first time this year, I lasted about 1 hour before it was strung to my back pack, wearing a helmet whilst skiing is like having sex with a condom made from a tractor tyre..

I can honestly say that after a few minutes I didn't notice that I was wearing it.
snow conditions
I love how it's actually becoming cool to wear a helmet now, encouraging even more people to wear them. I swear it adds confidence too, I'd be terrified off-piste without a helmet.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm interested to know what you hated so much about it?

Bulky, cumbersome, sick of having to duck even lower on the chairs to stop being clonked by the bar
Itchy
Sweaty
The feeling of nausea as my head got too hot
Lack of peripheral senses, noticable increase in close shaves with other skiers
Quote:

I swear it adds confidence too, I'd be terrified off-piste without a helmet.

So you would take greater risks wearing a helmet?, I would, skiing one of the "walls" in Cairngorm last weekend, the further to the left you dropped in, the more rocks there were, I chose to drop in where there were fewer rocks, had someone handed me a lid just for that run, I would have chosen the more interesting route through the rocks.
After about 4 runs I chose the route through the rocks anyway, got some nice air too. Laughing
snow report
I believe that it is a personal choice whether to wear a helmet or not. I wouldn't say that a helmet increases my confidence and don't find that I have to duck lower to get under the bar of chair lifts!

Personally I have always worn a helmet and found it came in useful in Verbier earlier this year following a fall when I caught an edge at speed. I picked myself up, dusted myself down and thought nothing of it until lunchtime when, upon removing my helmet, I noticed several deep grooves in it where I had scraped it along the piste.

I guess that a helmet is a bit like insurance...you don't think about it until you have need of it.
ski holidays
Yep nothing better than a good ole ground hog kinda thread to keep boredom from the door! rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy