Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm this weekend

Poster: A snowHead
Is it realistic to expect some decent skiing this weekend, is anybody going up and being Bank Holiday is it likely to be rammed?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wasn't aware it was a bank holiday, crap! It'll hopefully have some good skiing down the head wall again though, I've been up every weekend this season and I hope to maintain that though, queues are usually pretty horrid, Given the chance I would definately bring some touring skis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CML intend to open the Coire Cas T-bar (loading at the top of the Gunbarrel) and the West Wall Poma, in addition to the currently available uplift. WWP will probably just be serving the Top Basin, but it may load much further down (but not at the bottom unless there is significant snow fall on Friday) - however these 2 lifts will help spread the load out and provide easier access to the Fiacaill area.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ how far down they likely to load WWP? Back past the chair station till it starts dropping away - or can they get a ramp going further down the steep bit? That'd be pretty cool (although possibly inviting trouble from a bank holiday crowd)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
barry, I came down the M2 yesterday, as you've probably noticed from Aviemore, it's loaded right down to the top of the Daylodge Poma. WWP track had a fairly healthy coverage from the 4th tower up from the bottom, that would give much of the M2, Aonach Bowl (access possible via the Bynack and directly from the foot of the Ciste Fairway), potentially some other options too. Dropping hints on CML's facebook!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thinkig of taking the daughter up for the weekend, i have not been for many many years, what is the lift situation, is it all drag and Tbars or are there any chairs?, reason i ask is that my daughter has never used drag or T Bar before and do not want to spend the weekend mastering them. Thanks
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No chairs at all on Cairngorm, there's the funicular but everything else is a surface lift. The M1 poma is very vicious som maybe one to avoid - you can take the funicular from the midstation instead though, or the T-Bar
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
leedsunited, the Ciste and Ptarmigan t-bars are benign so wouldn't worry about them and there's the Polar Express trainer Poma (button) at the top too which is very short but okay for getting used to drags and is there for beginners to use as their first practice tow. The West Wall Poma will be running too but that might be a bit fast if she's nervous, however they might slow it down if loading near the Ciste t-bar so don't discount it as an option. If skiing to mid-station the best option is to use the funicular because, as nbt says, the M1 is nasty. The funicular has been fine the last week with relatively frequent stops (every 15/20 mins) so it's a decent way to get up the hill, only major disadvantage is negotiating the bottom of the gunbarrel but if you skip round the fence line just before you drop into it from the zig zag and ski down to the t-bar loading ramp you can avoid the nasty bit. Cas t-bar is fine on the upper section (where they may be loading from) but for novices the bit below that is pretty hard so I'd avoid it unless they are loading higher up (which I suspect may well be the case).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Update on pricing, Adult day tickets will remain at £21 through the bank holiday weekend.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheaper than a dome or dry slope! Shocked Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Update on pricing, Adult day tickets will remain at £21 through the bank holiday weekend.

Are you sure?
From Winterhighland:

Equipment hire opening at 9.30am Snowsports ticket prices of £21.00 (adult) and £13.00 (Junior) will apply today.
Due to extended opening hours and additional uplift, full day ticket prices will apply from Friday.First train up 9.00am, last train down 5.00pm.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
TheGeneralist, yes. Decision for ticket price staying the same came after that update from CML at around 8am (time given on text).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From CML: Change of plan re pricing for this long weekend, due to the rapid snowloss and a walk now required to the M1 and mid platform, we will keep ticket prices at half day rates.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga wrote:
leedsunited, the Ciste and Ptarmigan t-bars are benign so wouldn't worry about them and there's the Polar Express trainer Poma (button) at the top too which is very short but okay for getting used to drags and is there for beginners to use as their first practice tow. The West Wall Poma will be running too but that might be a bit fast if she's nervous, however they might slow it down if loading near the Ciste t-bar so don't discount it as an option. If skiing to mid-station the best option is to use the funicular because, as nbt says, the M1 is nasty. The funicular has been fine the last week with relatively frequent stops (every 15/20 mins) so it's a decent way to get up the hill, only major disadvantage is negotiating the bottom of the gunbarrel but if you skip round the fence line just before you drop into it from the zig zag and ski down to the t-bar loading ramp you can avoid the nasty bit. Cas t-bar is fine on the upper section (where they may be loading from) but for novices the bit below that is pretty hard so I'd avoid it unless they are loading higher up (which I suspect may well be the case).
Many thanks for the very concise advice, it is very much appreciated and on this basis it looks like i have a 6 hour drive to look forward to Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
leedsunited, see you up there, we'll be leaving manchester at lunchtime!
latest report
Winterhighland wrote:
as you've probably noticed from Aviemore

Flitted away from the big smoke a few weeks back, now based in the city that never sleeps (Kingussie wink). Been scoping some touring options roundabouts, some promising looking options down this way - both sides of the road. Will still do the odd day trip to the bright lights though wink
snow report
Well guys, I'm just back from Aviemore (overnight drive which was relatively quick) having skied late Thursday afternoon.

After a few days of very warm weather (it was in the low 20s in Aviemore Thursday, so hot you could comfortably sunbathe) the snow was getting nasty and sticky lower down for sure and the second zig zag was snowless, lower White Lady and the M1 below the timing hut and some other areas were getting rocky with bare patches but the top is still well covered and there's generally pretty wide cover above these areas. With temperatures set to plummet and the likeliehood of another snowy period with prolonged cold we should end up with a pretty solid base with fresh on top but I'd expect some icy areas once the slush freezes so be aware of that. I'd say the more fresh that falls over the next few days the better but of course that'll affect visibility.

leedsunited, see above for details of snow loss which changes things a little I'm afraid, also not sure if they'll be using the Cas t-bar now because the uptrack now needs patching but there's probably enough elsewhere to patch it with if they decide to and fresh snow should help too.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone, I hope the weather is good for you snowHead
latest report
Here you go guys, heavy snow apparently now falling. This mornings update:
Quote:
Top Station weather- 25mph gusting 30 mph North North Westerly, Temperature -2c, heavy snow falling at all levels. Hill fog with visibility 150 meters. Fresh snow overnight with freezing level currently 700 meters. Some drifting in places with the snowpack now firming up . The forecast is to go colder with snow showers, which will enable the groomers to patch up more easily when the snowpack firms up.

Should be good when you can see Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy