Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercises that will help me prepare for a snowboard lesson

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I have booked my lesson at Hemel for me and my mate first boarding lesson..... now and suggestions on hat I can do (exercise wise) to help prepare ? Any advice much appreciated ..as always
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Getting somebody to bash your buttocks and the palms of your hands repeatedly with a wooden plank ? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yup that is what I am afraid of ......... I rekon I take the week off work NehNeh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Go to your local shopping centre and sit in the doorways, lie across the top of the escalator and get in everyones way. That will be enough for a warm up or you could get on some ski's and be popular....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Okay should I put a kick me sign on my back as well Razz

But seriously are their any exercises you recommend
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
KSNOWZ, sorry chap, I really don't have anything sensible to offer. I'd imagine that if your reasonably fit you'll be ok
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yea that is what what I am worried about ........ my biz partner is a techy guy who loves his pizza so I do not want to be a contribute to his heart attack Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have alluded, you'll spend a lot of time falling over. Consequently you'll also spend a lot of time standing back up again, not to mention fiddling with your bindings. All of which is pretty much equivalent to doing sit-ups and touching your toes repeatedly. Expect to come away from the experience with abs like Worf's forehead.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice not sure if that is good bad or something to look forward to Mr Piehole...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
moffatross,

Exercise or fantasy ???

Seriously, when I tried a bit of dark siding at Hemel many years ago, I didn't find it physically taxing at all. I did rip the ar*e out of my jeans though, so be careful!

post edit - I didn't mean Hemel - I'm much too old for that. I meant Hillingdon. It's all up north and my memory is beginning to fade...

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 4-05-12 13:44; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
KSNOWZ, Let me know how you get on , as i`m also thinking of having a go at Hemel, but would like to hear from someone else who`s tried it for the first time.

Please let me know whether it made you feel dirty or not, and if you spacial awareness suddenly takes a turn for the worst !

Razz NehNeh
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Get kneepads. I tried boarding some years ago in Switzerland and found that I always stopped/fell exactly in the same place on the knees which got a bit painful after the 100th time. Balance board on the wii if you have one? Skateboarding (for the balance). Wear very old clothes (see musher, )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross wrote:
Getting somebody to bash your buttocks and the palms of your hands repeatedly with a wooden plank ? Toofy Grin
LMAO, but that does reflect the experiences of the 2 in this house that have had lessons.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
moffatross wrote:

Buttocks, yes. But you shouldn't be landing on the palms of your hands. It'll probably do you no harm to begin with, but you need to learn how to fall properly otherwise you'll be breaking your wrists. (And I can't see how wrist guards are a solution to this; they just seem like a way of breaking your arms instead...)

Exercise wise, you'll be fine if you're reasonably fit. Hopefully..... Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I did a "learn in a day" thingy at HH a couple of years ago and a few follow up lessons after. I'm still rubbish, but that's coz I have a confidence thing about going straight down the fall line. If I could conquer that on a board it might improve my skiing.

Physically it wasn't hugely taxing. My biggest problem is upper body strength which you do need to get back up when you've fallen on your posterior. Lots of triceps dips and (as Mr Piehole says) toe touches to improve flexibility would be useful. Padding would have been nice but isn't essential on a beginner's lesson.

I probably should give it another go. I guess I have a whole summer to think about that...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy