Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Basegrinds

Poster: A snowHead
Who has them? Recent post got me thinking I haven't had a shop grind in well over 10 years, since I was disatisfied with the amount they took off a snowboard. OK so I've lost the benefit of that "just like new" feeling but can't say I've ever thought "this experience would be significantly better if only I'd had a grind". Looking at most seasonnaire skis would seem to indicate that grinds are very low on the priority list. One of the industry "scams" for non-racers? Something that holiday skiers pay disproportionate attention to compared to those who ski every day?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never knowingly had one done.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Only once, and that was for a pair of skis I was selling. Although there were no core shots they were quite beaten up so I thought a good service and a base grind would smarten them up a bit. Shop did a god job, putting a proper structure back in to the base.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob, this post I think Very Happy http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=88968#2037695 as I said mine didn't come back perfectly flat to the state of brand new, but the structure was put back on.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, I had one done last November, it was on a pair of race skis though. The bases had started to get uneven next to the edges, I guessed that this was caused by getting hot due to being on an edge all the time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
fatbob, I thoiught you just bought a new pair when yours needed servicing Wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, That as well. BTW as the sport conrad deal fell through I estimate you've bought at least 3 pairs of skis more recently than me. NehNeh
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, hmm, you may have got me there, I've bought 2 pairs! One for my eldest and one for my wife, none for me though Wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-05-12 14:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lhasas, whatever you bought for BASI, Titans.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
fatbob, I occaisonally put my (plastic) race skis over a belt sander to get rid of the railing from too much use on Dendix. I don't normally bother with snow skis... IIRC my Tua Bug Easys (tele ski) are 10 years old, and have never been ground !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm a ski self-servicer and treat base grinding as a last resort. A few weeks ago I managed to core shot my 2 week old DPS Wailers Sad After a period of mourning I took them to the nearest shop for a 'consultation'. Shop said they could patch repair the base but also needed to base grind not only the damaged ski but also the undamaged one to match things up. I said: "They're only two weeks old and don't need a base grind, can't you just patch the damage and grind the repair locally to match the surrounding base?" Technician said no so I took them to another shop where they did what I wanted and made a good job of the repair.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Before snowHeads I ground the bases on my skis every year before putting them away for summer.

Now I don't touch them; although I suspect my base angles may be a bit out!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had mine ground in France. They did a reasonable job and patched up the gouges in the base too, but they left the base edge angles at 0 which completely ruined the feel - factory setting was -1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kelskii wrote:
.....A few weeks ago I managed to core shot my 2 week old DPS Wailers Sad After a period of mourning I took them to the nearest shop for a 'consultation'. Shop said they could patch repair the base but also needed to base grind not only the damaged ski but also the undamaged one to match things up. I said: "They're only two weeks old and don't need a base grind, can't you just patch the damage and grind the repair locally to match the surrounding base?" Technician said no....

I hear that all the time & it's total rubbish. A 'tech' at the Nottingham Decathlon store told me exactly the same a couple of months ago when I was doing a bit of 'mystery shopping' wink.

It amazes me the number of shops that openly advertise that they grind the ski during the servicing process without consideration as to whether it's required or not. Because of over use of sander/grinder customers are used to collecting skis that are cosmetically perfect without realising the damage that is being done. The p-tex base is only 1.1/1.2mm thick so won't take many grinds. And the base will absorb less wax after every grind.

Repairing every slight little scratch is also overkill as the molten repair will not absorb wax. It's important to repair minor scratches against the base edge to avoid the chance of the edge catching on a rock but others can be left.

I problably grind less than 10% of the skis that go through my workshop but I explain to customers that marks on the base are ok providing that they're smooth etc. If anything they add extra structure.

The only reason a grind is required is either the base has worn concave (possibly convex if used on a dry slope) &/or the structure has worn out. But a little concavity in the base, especially at the tips'ntails won't hurt. There's the odd occasion when the base edge angles are in very bad condition & could do with being re-cut but it's very unlikely that isn't accompanied by a non flat base or worn structure.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
another vote for "rarely if ever"
snow conditions
spyderjon, so it could well have been a good thing that my local shop didn't feel the need to overdo things and turn them out looking like 'brand new bases'?
snow conditions
Megamum wrote:
spyderjon, so it could well have been a good thing that my local shop didn't feel the need to overdo things and turn them out looking like 'brand new bases'?

Yes, definately. Although I'd be surprised if your skis needed grinding at all as you can't have done many weeks on them. Other than race skis I can't remember when I last had to do a pair that had less than 10 weeks of use & it's usually in to the teens.
ski holidays
spyderjon, Ah, well - my ski tech insisted that it was worth doing them and he does the servicing I went along with it - it cost me a small fortune - I won't do it again in a hurry following this thread though Laughing
snow report
spyderjon, cheers, I couldn't believe how inflexible the 'tech' in that first shop was, couldn't reason with him at all, real 'computer says no' stuff. The alarm bells in my head were going ballistic and I was out of there pronto! Most shops seem to be on a mission to grind skis to death. rolling eyes

Quote:

Kelskii wrote:
.....A few weeks ago I managed to core shot my 2 week old DPS Wailers After a period of mourning I took them to the nearest shop for a 'consultation'. Shop said they could patch repair the base but also needed to base grind not only the damaged ski but also the undamaged one to match things up. I said: "They're only two weeks old and don't need a base grind, can't you just patch the damage and grind the repair locally to match the surrounding base?" Technician said no....

I hear that all the time & it's total rubbish. A 'tech' at the Nottingham Decathlon store told me exactly the same a couple of months ago when I was doing a bit of 'mystery shopping' .
ski holidays
Kelskii, could that be because they are looking to sell you a new pair so much the quicker?
ski holidays
Megamum, It could be but may also be because many holiday skiers just want their skis to look 'new' again. So, shop policy becomes formed by this as most of the punters prefer it.
ski holidays
I think some of it comes down to poor training and saving time. It's far easier to run a ski through a computer controlled base grinding machine and slap on a layer of hot wax than to properly prep a base by hand.
snow conditions
I had one base grind on mine after 10 or so weeks of mainly off piste, they really were gauged to hell even after repairs. But I wouldn't bother unless my bases felt like a cheese grater. The base repair gun I bought (cheers spyderjon ) sorts out any deep gauges.
ski holidays
Only when base bevels go off, concaved base @ edges or selling them.
snow conditions
Never felt the need to get bases ground. As spyderjon says they are barely over 1 mm thick anyway, so any grinding will significantly shorten their life. I'd maybe consider it if the base side of the edges were shot, but then I'd probably buy a new pair of skis anyway at that point. Much prefer self-tuning to standard shop tuning too.
snow conditions
You know it's bad when you take your skis into be tuned and the shop refuses them as they are 'too beat up and the top edge around the tip is missing'.

Oops..
ski holidays
I put a bid card on mine saying "do not sharpen or bevel edges"... wouldn't trust many shops to do that properly.
snow report
I'm never one to come bowling in to a 10 year old thread... but my spidey senses tell me it has more to do with the ROI on the uber expensive machine, than anything else. Most of us would probably do this to some extent, subconsciously.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it weren't for the need to get a fresh structure, I'm not sure why most of us would even need it. Sure, occasionally P-Tex will change during curing and develop concavity or convexity and you need to get it back to flat, but beyond that the only reason is to get fresh structure. I've started handling that myself, so haven't had a base grind done in over a decade. Most times they never did what I asked in regard to tuning anyway.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy